The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default My horse is WAY too smart.

His stall door has been in need of repair and I pointed this out to the BO. Due to a serious need to repair some fencing they hadn't gotten around to repairing his door. Yesterday, he figured out how to get it open. Luckily, people werre around and he didn't decide to leave, I think he just stood there quietly snickering. So now he's in a different, very secure stall while we wait for his door to be fixed. Sheesh!
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

2 members found this post helpful.

We tend to leave the doors open a bit when we're in the barn, in and out of the stalls...all THREE of them...lol Not exactly a big operation. My retired dressage horse will ALWAYS get out if we forget to check his door when we leave. He goes to the hay stack and munches contentedly until discovered, never fusses about getting caught and put back.

The other day I was in his stall cleaning and saw how he did it. The door was open about 6 inches. He put his hoof in the opening and the leaned his knee against the door, sliding it open. We always wondered because it was never open far enough to get his head out. Crafty bugger!!
    Ride like you mean it.

Some of our Pasos had to have all manner of chains holding their stall doors shut so the Houdini's couldn't open them. One of them decided he was going to get out anyway and tunneled his way down through the clay over night - I'm not kidding either. He dug a hole big enough for him to get down and slither through and was standing in the aisle where we found him waiting for breakfast.

Oh, and I almost forgot - he did it AGAIN while we were waiting for mats so he couldn't burrow. Only this time, he tunneled sideways into his buddy's stall - and got stuck with his neck and head under the stall wall. His buddy was completely freaked out by this horse head appearing on the ground and starring at him. We pulled him out - thankfully he was small.
    We think he was part ground hog.
    You are what you dare.

8 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by GotGait View Post
    Some of our Pasos had to have all manner of chains holding their stall doors shut so the Houdini's couldn't open them. One of them decided he was going to get out anyway and tunneled his way down through the clay over night - I'm not kidding either. He dug a hole big enough for him to get down and slither through and was standing in the aisle where we found him waiting for breakfast.

Oh, and I almost forgot - he did it AGAIN while we were waiting for mats so he couldn't burrow. Only this time, he tunneled sideways into his buddy's stall - and got stuck with his neck and head under the stall wall. His buddy was completely freaked out by this horse head appearing on the ground and starring at him. We pulled him out - thankfully he was small.
    ROFLROFLROFL that is hysterical! I can't stop laughing. I've never heard of such. I've had ponies who would get down and crawl under a fence but NEVER heard of one who dug out like a dog.

It's a wonder that the horse who saw the head and neck appear out of the ground isn't having nightmares. Horses coming out of the grave??
    You know why cowboys don't like Appaloosas?" - Answer: Because to train a horse, you have to be smarter than it is.

3 members found this post helpful.

LOL! about the Paso getting into the other stall. Good thing he didn't break his neck. Maybe he's asking for 24/7 turnout. It must have been a bummer to refill those holes.

1 members found this post helpful.

Was in the tack room this afternoon putting the last item away. I know the barn owner had gone back to the house. But I heard the door knob turn behind me. Turned around to see why she returned. It was the mini, who had been loose in the indoor. Shut the door. Knob turned again. Was laughing my head off as I came through the door - and made sure to pull the knob tight. Had never noticed the teeth marks in it before!
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

LOL, Gotgait! That is just too funny!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/NBChoice http://nbchoice.blogspot.com/
    The New Banner's Choice- 1994 ASB Mare
    Dennis The Menace Too- 1999 ASB Gelding
    Dreamacres Sublime- 2008 ASB Gelding

Quote Originally Posted by GotGait View Post

Oh, no.... Hoover the Haitian Paso Phenotype has dug himself a wiiide nesting hole in his pen as a king-size bed and single-hoofedly flattened the slope along the upper fence line. Sounds like I'd better buy some cement for reinforcement! Though he seems most interested in tunneling into the sheep pen to steal their feed. Ponies.
    HAS provides hospital care to 340,000 people in Haiti's Artibonite Valley 24/7/365/earthquake/cholera/whatever.
    www.hashaiti.org blog:http://hashaiti.org/blog

Default brains over brawn

Horses in my barn have full run of the barn (3 stalls and aisleway). They eat their grain in their stalls and the hay is out in the barn yard. A few years back I had 2 boarders. The boss of the herd was a large TB Arnold. The bottom of the pack was skinny little Lance. Lance got the most grain and took the longest to eat. I would slide his door all but 6" closed. When he was done eating, he'd just nose the door open and head out to join the rest eating hay. The others never thought to open his door, so he could eat his grain safely.

One day, Arnold was standing in the aisle blocking Lance's access out to the hay. Lance stuck his head out and let out a whistle snort (warning). Arnold immediately charged outside to see what was there. Lance was then able to saunter out to the hay. Brains over brawn!

Our Perchx spent hours mouthing the doorknob to our side door when they were here at home. So did the pony. Nothing like opening the door at night and seeing a huge black horse right.there. :-0

1 members found this post helpful.

We have a Morgan pony who is an escape artist. He once got out a field with secure fencing all around, literally no way out, yet we found him on the other side of the fence the next morning, happily grazing his little heart out. He also opens his pasturemates stall doors, in latched a door of a horse in stall rest. That was a fun one.