The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Help me choose a grain for my 2 year old.

I recently acquired a 2 year old paint/tb. She is currently getting an alfalfa grass mix and Nutrena safe choice feed. I have no control over her feed right now as she is with her breeder still. I will be moving her in about a month, where she will live outside (there is not very much grass in the turnouts). She will eventually be getting free choice Timothy hay, the only hay choice at the new barn. I will be in charge of her grain.. I am trying to decide what to switch her to, or if I even need to switch. Ideally I do not want her to be on a large amount of grain, because I have read that a lot of grain is not necessary for young horses. I was thinking of trying a small amount of TC Growth and alfalfa pellets, since she will not get alfalfa hay at her new home. She will get a multivitamin supplement if she is not fed a full serving of grain.

Any recommendations? I don't know how much grain she gets now, I will have to ask. Grain is spendy in my area... It is $25 for a bag of Nutrena.

Thanks in advance!

I switched to TC this year, I have to say I'm very pleased with the results. Even my "hard keepers" look great. I love that the NSC's are so low. I used to feed primarily Nutrena, I'm feeding less TC and the horses look 10x better.
    Making Your Ambitions a Reality at Secret Ambition Stables.
    Quality Welsh Ponies and Welsh Crosses bred for sport
    Facebook Page.
    Section A and Section B Welsh Ponies at stud

You could skip the multivit by feeding Triple Crown's 30% supplement. Small amount of "grain," all the stuff she needs. Pretty easy!

1 members found this post helpful.

I second the 30%. I fed Nutrena for years, and still like the options they have. However, I've been feeding Triple Crown for a year, and LOVE it. Both of my boys are on the Senior even though they're not senior citizens, and my air fern Arab/QH gets the 30% supplement because he doesn't get the full serving of Sr. Their products are awesome, their customer service is outstanding, and every horse I've fed it to LOVE it. They have also come out with a new formula...Total Lifetime Care. I haven't checked to see how much it is recommended to feed, but it could be worth looking into.

However, this is all a moot point if TC isn't available in your area. I'm from IL, and I'd never heard of TC until I moved to SoCal. So first, find out what you have access to, and go from there. Buckeye and Pennfield are also really good, too.

I visited my local feed store today and I was told they can order TC. I asked about the growth and total lifetime care formulas, they are supposed to be calling me with prices. Purina and Nutrena seem to be the most popular brands in my area.

Thank you for the suggestions! I will look into the 30%.

Their Lite formula is good, too. Cheaper than the 30% supplement, difference is you need to feed about 2lbs usually. I'm actually thinking about putting my air fern back on the Lite because its cheaper than the Sr/30% combo.

TC Growth if she needs fairly significant calories.

TC 30 if she needs a lot fewer calories.

TC Lite of she needs something in between.

With the latter 2, if you find that at a given point in time she goes through a growth spurt and gets too thin, you can add some alf pellets or beet pulp to get calories, then drop/reduce those as her weight gets back to normal. That's easier than switching to the Growth for a week or 3, then switching back.

It doesn't have to be TC30 - if she doesn't like this, Progressive or Tribute or pretty much any of them will be fine.

If you have Buckeye feeds in your area you should consider giving that to your horse as well. TC is very expensive in my area and my horse did not do that well on it. Buckeye is a smaller brand but the quality has been great for me! I feed gro n win and eq8 to my 2 year old now.

We use to feed safe choice but switched a year ago to progressive pro advantage ration balancer. We also give omega horse shine.

It has been a while since I fed grain to youngsters, but I would think a Junior feed for youngsters is what would give her the most benefit. I know Purina has several and I used the Equine JR along with good quality hay and was pleased.

That's what TC Growth is.

Purina Equine Jr is too high in sugars for my taste

I thought I would resurrect this thread instead of starting a new one, because my question is related to the original one. I ended up starting her on Triple Crown Growth, and after having her teeth done she gained a little weight and was doing great on it. Now the Growth has been discontinued in my area and I can't get it anywhere else. One of the employees at the feed store told me the Senior formula was very similar so I bought a bag of that. I'm just not sure whether it is ok to keep her on a Senior feed long term, but I don't know what else to try for her. The only other grain brands available are Purina and LMF. I won't buy Purina and I don't know a lot about LMF... Help!

I consider TC Growth and Sr pretty interchangeable.

And, the Senior is a WONDERFUL feed, IMO.
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

Thanks- I just wanted to make sure.

This is just me, but I wouldn't be spending $22 a bag to fill up a horse with pre-chewed beet pulp when she has a perfectly good set of teeth and could be eating hay. Of course, that depends a lot on the hay prices in your area, too . . .

1 members found this post helpful.

It is presumed that the horse is eating (nearly) free choice forage, and simply requires more calories.

My two year old gets 2 lbs of Triple Crown 30 a day with plenty of hay and looks great. How much grain a day does your guy eat? Does he need tons of extra calories?

She gets as much hay as she will eat, and maybe 2-2.5 lbs of the senior with Horse Guard and flax.

The minimum recommendation on the bag of TC Senior is 4-6 lbs I believe, so at 2-2.5 lbs per day, you're shortchanging her on vitamins and minerals.

If the minimum amount cannot be fed (because it's too many calories), you should switch to something that is the appropriate amount of calories at at least the daily minimum amount being fed.
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."