The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Man, I love this mare

I really had ZERO intention of buying a horse last summer, but when you spend every weekend at the track....well....I suppose it's an occupation hazard of working with CANTER, right? (No, I am NOT bringing another one home this year.)

I posted a thread about the mare that followed me home here shortly after I got her, so you all can review the details if you'd like (Be sure to check out the video because that walk, man...I still marvel at her walk.)

We brought her home from the track in August and turned her out, and we took a look at her in January. Her stifle was still full of fluid, and while the structures looked good on ultrasound, she was still sore, so we did a round of IRAP. I started riding her regularly in late February or so.

We had a bit of a rocky beginning, but I finally got the memo from her and put her on Quiessence (which normally would have elicited an eyeroll from me, but has made ALLLLL the difference in Dove. Horses will make fools out of you all the time, won't they?) She has been progressing very nicely and is a joy to ride.

I had my own SI injected early last week, and then we had our very own snowmaggedon, so Dove had not been ridden for perhaps 10 days--this coming off a fairly regular 5 day a week program--and I expected some excitement today.

She did not let me down Now, she's a hot horse anyway, which I really love. She was very workmanlike for mounting and at the walk (thank you, Quiessence) but when I asked for the trot...MAN. She was ready to GO. GO GO GO. I just had a TON of horse and she felt great. I got up in two point, threw a cross and let her trot out for about 10 minutes before asking anything of her at all. A less business-like horse would have bucked me off hard, and she did play a bit, but she's a good girl and let me stay up there.

She's just SUCH a fun horse. Every time I ride I wind up with a huge smile on my face. THIS is why we have horses, isn't it?

10 members found this post helpful.

Yay! I'm so glad you have connected! This is exactly how I feel every time I ride Mr Java big man I love him even when he is acting like a teenage boy fool!!
    ~Run and Jump!~

Quote Originally Posted by xcjumper View Post
    Yay! I'm so glad you have connected! This is exactly how I feel every time I ride Mr Java big man I love him even when he is acting like a teenage boy fool!!
    Good lord, me too. I was going through all the tricks in my bag and I'm so grateful I gave the Quiessence a try. The change in her is just amazing--I finally have a horse with a brain in her head, and it's not just under saddle that's she's changed. She seems so much happier in her own skin now.

Glad to hear Java's doing well, too!! Is he growing yet? We miss him!! (Andrew especially. They were buddies )

1 members found this post helpful.

Wow, a Danzig mare!

I checked the old thread you posted but the pictures are no longer available. If possible will you post more?

I'm glad you're having fun with her. I love good mares. Thanks for posting this update!

Oh, right, the whole webshots things. Sigh. Had to switch everything over to photobucket :P

Here are her shots from the track, which are terrible: http://s155.photobucket.com/user/sim...?sort=3&page=1

And here she is right after we picked her up, out with my two year old: http://s155.photobucket.com/user/sim...cb671.jpg.html

She looks SO different now, and her muscling and outline changed drastically just in the time she had off. Now that she's in work, she's really starting to look wonderful.

(Oh there are some sort of decent shots of her in the assortment of pictures I took for saddle fit issues, like this one.)

We are long over due for some new photos and I would love to see some video of her being ridden. I'm working on convincing my husband to come out and aid in both of those projects sometime soon

She's just such a cool horse and has been so much fun

Another wonderful ride today!

Switched her from the HS Duo I've had her working in to a basic eggbutt french link. Didn't feel like I needed "more" bit, but I felt like she wanted a little finer communication. I think she did appreciate the new hardware!

Had a ride full of her really reaching into the contact, showing off a stretchy chewy trot when asked, and the beginnings of a solid, through walk/trot transition. Our canter departs are still very eager (and hilarious!) but after a circle or so, she comes back nicely and is developing a very nice canter coming into the hand.

She is just so fun, so forward and so HONEST. I love how horses like this totally tattle on you if you're missing something or doing it wrong. As long as *I* ride her well, she'll give it all. If I screw it up, she totally tells And since I'm not working with a trainer, a horse that doesn't put up with crap and makes ME a better rider is sort of a requirement!!

Hope to get some fresh pics and maybe even video on Sunday. I'd really like to see how she looks under saddle myself!

Is this the mare you posted the video of with the stifle problem in another recent thread? I watched that video and thought man, what a fabulous walk!

Edited to add, I clicked on the video and post 1 and it is! I'm not surprised you brought her home.
    Last edited by grayarabpony; Apr. 27, 2013 at 10:28 AM.

On an unrelated note, I just have to say really quick, that she is lovely!

Quote Originally Posted by grayarabpony View Post
    Is this the mare you posted the video of with the stifle problem in another recent thread? I watched that video and thought man, what a fabulous walk!
    I KNOW, right? When I took her out of her stall at the track, I looked back to see where her hinds were landing in the walk and I was BLOWN AWAY. She is an excellent example of a horse at the track that needed to be SEEN. I would not have really been interested in her pedigree from afar, and the pictures we were able to get of her just didn't show her well (it is SO HARD to get good shots of horses on the backside. We do the best we can, and are more successful with some than others!!)

But when they brought her out of her stall the first time we saw her, I KNEW I was in trouble (not looking for a horse, not looking for a horse), and the trainer practically described my ideal horse--a tough, gritty turf mare--then he was terribly tough to track down about listing details (so we couldn't get her listed) until her last race, when he called me directly and told me to pick her up, knowing that I loved her already.

So, in short: This is a CANTER infomercial. If you are in the market CONTACT your CANTER volunteers and talk to them about what you are looking for and ask them for suggestions. Get out to the track to look around for yourself, because it is just SO hard to get good, accurate photos that really show off the horses.

And thank you, too, littlemess--as I'm sure you've noticed, I am quite taken with her as well

She is lovely...a good walk is everything (Because you know the canter is all that and more!)

(and boy, you have GRASS! Moving to Laramie, WY in 2 weeks and grass is just not there!)
    I have too many ponies but love 'em all!

http://foxview-farm.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by annikak View Post
    (and boy, you have GRASS! Moving to Laramie, WY in 2 weeks and grass is just not there!)
    Not anymore! I think the pic you're talking about (the one with the two horses and all the grass?) was mid August last year right off Dove came off the track. We were boarding here:

http://www.cohomefinder.com/p/80550/...#photo-gallery

They have a ton of water on the property and beautiful grass all summer. And it's for sale--it could be yours!

Now we're farther north on dry land with pretty much no grass. It's probably a lot like WY

Another hilarious and fun ride today. Dove has had about a week off due to weather and some dental work. Didn't really intend to ride today, but the brand inspector was late (and then canceled...that's a whole 'nother thread. Grrr.)

Now, Dove is pretty fit. She's been ridden about 5 days a week since February ish. And, hey, as a TB she gets fit pretty fast. She lives on about 7 acres with her friends (my two other mares) and has plenty of play time, so can certainly get out and move. But I brought her up to the barn and she was WIRED. Tacked her up and took her out because she was practically begging for some work.

The walk was eager but still a walk. Asked for trot, got some minor airs above ground (nothing dirty, just bouncy!) and then a lovely canter. She just wanted to canter, so we did that for awhile until she was ready to trot. Had a really excellent ride with some beautiful work.

She's just so funny. I love how she just WANTS to work and is so honest even when she's just bursting and ready to go.

(Still need new pics of her, and I would LOVE video on her being ridden. Maybe this weekend!)

3 members found this post helpful.

Oh I am gonna hop RIGHT on that property! (don't I wish???)

Hey- do you mind when I get there if I check in with you? I am kind of freaked out by the changes that horsekeeping brings out west. Also...if I get lucky, I will be looking for another OTTB...maybe...maybe...maybe....
    I have too many ponies but love 'em all!

http://foxview-farm.blogspot.com/

Oh boy she's lovely!! I've pretty much convinced myself that my next horse will be from Canter; CO obvs

How did I not know about that barn?! It's gorgeous. I just recently had to move barns since mine shut down. I'm having a heck of a time finding anything with decent turnout. I ended up at a place in Severance which is nice but still not nearly enough turnout for my liking.
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

Quote Originally Posted by annikak View Post
    Oh I am gonna hop RIGHT on that property! (don't I wish???)

Hey- do you mind when I get there if I check in with you? I am kind of freaked out by the changes that horsekeeping brings out west. Also...if I get lucky, I will be looking for another OTTB...maybe...maybe...maybe....
    Of course you can check in with me I am happy to answer whatever questions I can, provide any hand holding you might require, and hook you up with an OTTB when you're ready. We get a really nice variety at Arapahoe Park--even easy-peasy ready to go sorts, that need nothing or nearly nothing in regard to retraining, other than learning your desired discipline.

Quote Originally Posted by dani0303 View Post
    Oh boy she's lovely!! I've pretty much convinced myself that my next horse will be from Canter; CO obvs
    AS WELL IT SHOULD BE Are you friends with us on facebook?

How did I not know about that barn?! It's gorgeous. I just recently had to move barns since mine shut down. I'm having a heck of a time finding anything with decent turnout. I ended up at a place in Severance which is nice but still not nearly enough turnout for my liking.
    I don't know how far north you want to come, but that barn is still taking boarders (AFAIK) and where I am now could be another option for you, although it's even farther north and we *might* be full. Both places have their own pros and cons--shoot me a PM if you're interested in either.

Simke, when I get moved up there I will gladly come take photos and video whenever you need. Just give me a call! I understand the whole thing of convincing the husband

I am so glad she ended up with you! She's such a pretty mare who needed a good, happy home. Thank you for keeping everyone updated on how things are going!
    "IT'S NOT THE MOUNTAIN WE CONQUER, BUT OURSELVES." SIR EDMUND HILLARYMember of the "Someone Special To Me Serves In The Military" Clique

Count me in, as one wanting to see new photos!

Attempt to get some photos and video today was thwarted by a huge windstorm that hit as we arrived at the barn. Would have been terrible for all to try to ride, so we just went home. Sad day. Shows us for hanging out at the house to watch the Preakness instead of just TiVoing it

I finally landed a new gig, so rides have moved to the evening after work which has just thrown off poor Dove. She is just so worried when I bring her up into the barn. So sure we're going to go race! She's got such a good work ethic that she's still fairly reasonable under saddle (hot and sensitive, but reasonable.) Gradual progress is being made, but it's obvious she's a horse where routine is VERY, VERY important!

I have been worried about her hindgut--she is rather prone to loose, sour-smelling manure--so I'm trying KER's RiteTrac for her. (It's the Equishire + a stomach buffer.) Will be interesting to see how she responds.

Cross your fingers for photos and video tomorrow!! I'm also *really* looking forward to SEEING what she looks like under saddle. No mirrors, no trainer...I think we're moving in the right direction, but having some confirmation and feedback will be really nice.

I have been using Quiessence and EquiShure on my mare for a couple of years. I find that the Quiessence helps her focus and the EquiShure has kept things moving through her gut, which has low gut motility.

The KER products are very good. I hope that it works for your girl!
    When in Doubt, let your horse do the Thinking!