The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Update to the shockwave/mesotherapy thread. Got the bone scan!

About 2 weeks ago I posted asking about whether SW therapy and mesotherapy helped horses with back issues when other treatments hadn't worked. Thanks for the posts--they were helpful.

However, I ended up getting another vet to do an evaluation on my horse and he recommended the bone scan. It was yesterday and today I have my answer! The bone scan told us that she doesn't have any problems in the spine (no kissing spines) and other arthritic changes or fractures. It did identify some areas on the right side of the sacroiliac that were inflamed. The bone scan targeted where to do an ultrasound. With U/S He found an old ligament injury that didn't heal properly and a mass of scar tissue where healthy ligament fibers should be. This injury might have happened as long as 3 years ago--but it got aggravated, inflamed, and more painful for her over the past year. He said it is the equine equivalent of "tennis elbow".

So--the prognosis is really good for healing, but it's going to take 6 months (2 months on stall rest--UGH). Just wish I had done this a LOT earlier. The bone scan was a really easy procedure (I'm lucky because I am 20 minutes from a great university vet hospital). The hardest part was paying for it! That being said, I definitely paid for at least 1-2 bone scans between all the failed treatments we tried before this (ulcer meds, regumate, back & SI injections, hock injections . . . . ).

So, no doubt, I will soon be posting threads about how to survive stall rest and deal with hooligan behavior while hand walking!

3 members found this post helpful.

That's so interesting! I'm glad you had a conclusive finding...several people I know did the bone scan and were left with only more grey areas.

That's great news, I hope the stall rest goes well! I am going through this right now with my mare and we are doing the bone scan next month. I have heard many people get inconclusive results though.

Curious as to how this turned out and if you got total resolution of the problem? (I hope so!)

Interesting. A friend had a bone scan on her horse. University vets said nothing there. Local vet swore up and down uptake on SI. He xrayed the horse from head to toe, did a million blocks and injected this that and the other. Horse still lame and becoming dangerous. It screamed back to me and I insisted she get a 2nd opinion. In the end a simple xray showed a clear case of kissing spine (done at a great clinic).
    Lesson she learned - don't waste $$$$ on portable xrays of the back - go to a clinic that has good equipment.

1 members found this post helpful.

I do believe studies of shockwave find it particularly helpful for tennis elbow. You might want to consider a few sessions to be included in the recovery process to improve/speed healing. Two months of stall rest is rough... Good luck!

Dune: I just noticed that you resurrected this 2 year old thread I posted! Yes, this all was resolved after the bone scan revealed what the issue was. We followed the protocol (stall rest, hand walking, rehab riding program) and everything healed up! It involved a lot of time in the stall, some bute and handwalking--- but no other expensive treatments or medical procedures. The vet provided a very specific riding program for the rehab--which we followed very religiously!

My horse has been back in work ever since. Last summer we showed dressage, and then I started jumping her again over the winter. This summer we are back to doing some eventing!

My experience has left me a bit jaded about doing ANY procedures on my horses (traditional or otherwise) without a diagnosis first. That being said, I know there are some owners that don't get answers from a bone scan and are still grasping for straws about what is wrong with their horse. That is the worst place to be as a horse owner!

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by slp2 View Post
    Dune: I just noticed that you resurrected this 2 year old thread I posted! Yes, this all was resolved after the bone scan revealed what the issue was. We followed the protocol (stall rest, hand walking, rehab riding program) and everything healed up! It involved a lot of time in the stall, some bute and handwalking--- but no other expensive treatments or medical procedures. The vet provided a very specific riding program for the rehab--which we followed very religiously!

My horse has been back in work ever since. Last summer we showed dressage, and then I started jumping her again over the winter. This summer we are back to doing some eventing!

My experience has left me a bit jaded about doing ANY procedures on my horses (traditional or otherwise) without a diagnosis first. That being said, I know there are some owners that don't get answers from a bone scan and are still grasping for straws about what is wrong with their horse. That is the worst place to be as a horse owner!
    Glad you had a successful outcome!! I love to hear these, as yes, quite a few of us are dealing with some mystery issues. ;-) Happy you're enjoying your girl, congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by slp2 View Post

My gelding had a similar diagnosis to slp2's and we had a similar rest/handwalk/rehab protocol. I'm happy to say we are starting to trot under saddle again and the vet is confident he'll be back to full work (including starting some jumping) by October.

We have been very conservative with rest and rehab, per the university teaching hospital that did our bone scan (OVC) and the vet.

To add - we did everything before the bone scan too: blocked hoof to stifle, rest, work, more blocks, injected SI, xrayed stifle, bute test, etc. Expensive and ended up having to get a bone scan anyway as the shotgun approach wasn't working. However, I will say the vets at OVC were *thrilled* to have such a complete history and thorough workups done before he'd even gotten there. The diagnosing vet I spoke with said it made their jobs far easier as they could eliminate many possibilities and saved me money by not having to repeat tests that had already been done.

ETA: also slp2 I am so happy to hear about your horse's complete recovery. It makes me even more optimistic that I'll be able to get back to normal with mine! We don't do anything high level but we had also started some horse trials and baby eventing prior to the diagnosis. Thanks again for the encouragement and sharing your experience with me
    I've spent most of my life riding horses. The rest I've just wasted.