The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default I seem to be the lady of the bird posts these days...

One of my neighbors has a nice sized pond/lake that I pass every day. I noticed the other day that there were a few (maybe four) Canadian Geese hanging around. I realize that many people really don't like CG very much but since I've never had to deal with them myself, I do kind of like looking at them.

Today on the drive home from work, some of the CG were walking across the neighbor's yard and there were two itty, bitty (ok, maybe 8" tall) babies with them! I'd never seen a baby CG.

Guess the geese will be around for a while since the babies looked like they still just had down on them. How long does it take them to get big enough to migrate?
    "Dogs are man's best friend. Cats are man's adorable little serial killer." -- theoatmeal.com

Our goslings show up in May and by the end of September they are up and away. However, not all CG migrate. If conditions are right, the flock may very well stick around, becoming residential geese. The conditions in Alabama may be perfect! They need grass seed and open water. Even though we are up north, they stay around until the ponds freeze, then the flock heads over to the property of a friend of ours, who has an open stream and marsh grasses on his land. There they remain for the winter, until the ponds open up, and then they're baaack!
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/...2011%20Photos/

Up here they are flying rats. Worse than pigeons. They are so overpopulated that they are polluting ponds and lakes, and destroying public parks and playing fields. They have no predators and apparently you're not allowed to shoot them.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

Flying rats over here in MN as well. There is not only the regular hunting season for them, but they have early goose and I believe, a spring hunt. We shoot them with the paint ball gun when they show up on my lake as they then decide to use my yard and their big litter box. Then my dogs eat the poo and roll in it.

What's really awesome is they are normally only on our lake during spring and fall migration - during the summer we have a pair of Trumpeter Swans that nest and they don't like the geese either. They chase them off!!

1 members found this post helpful.

We have a pair that return to the pond every year. I have seen as many as five goslings trailing behind them in other years. When they are old enough to fly, they thankfully all leave.

I saw them again this afternoon. I think I counted five babies but my eyes are not so great anymore. One of them might have been a stump. LOL! I only saw two big birds today but I'm sure I saw at least four yesterday. The others might have been at the far end of the lake/pond.
    "Dogs are man's best friend. Cats are man's adorable little serial killer." -- theoatmeal.com