The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Shopping for Eventers

I hope this is ok to ask: In my barn two people are trying to sell their horses - one is a college student - has an amazing event horse that has not come close to realizing potential..... and I have someone looking for a event pony.... and another friend looking for a dressage horse - small. And another friend looking for a broodmare for an event prospect.....

So I want to do some research on horses and then also help these two girls get some ads together.

Where are the best places nowadays to advertise an event prospect online? In the past I looked at dreamhorse.com, equine.com, horsetopia.com - and my local area site and word of mouth.... but upon looking through some of these, looks like they are not as loaded as they once were.

Where are the places you all shop for a horses online?

Thanks - anyone else? I am forwarding this to the two girls and then I shall go snoop around.

I sent you a PM
    ~Run and Jump!~

This fall/winter I was looking for a small (between 14 and 15 hands) low level eventer/prospect for myself and it took a lot of work and time. There didn't seem to be a definitive place to look so I can understand why you're asking this question.

After testing the waters through word of mouth (both by me and my instructor) my strategy was then to go to through the Pony Club classified (local and national) as well as our USEA area classifieds. There was not a whole lot listed on any of those earlier this spring and this past winter/fall. Those sites may have more now and I wish more people would advertise there so that they could become the go-to place for both advertisers and buyers (and please list prices too!).

I also looked at the other usual sites--dreamhorse, equine now, horseclicks with some luck but I will say, sometimes it was like pulling teeth to get info from the advertiser. I didn't want to drive 2 hours to look at a horse without first seeing conformation shots and a video that lasted longer than 30 seconds (who can evaluated a video the soundness of a pony going over one jump way on the other side of the ring?) but it was hard to get the average seller to give me that info in a timely manner.

Now, that being said, I would advertise on those sites (with a photo and a video) because I am sure there are lots of people like me looking on those sites because there aren't other places to look (that I know of).

Other places I looked included pony breeders. Breeders are great places to go too because usually you are looking at more than one horse and they often have a horse/pony available that isn't on their sale pages.

Finally, I looked at more "nontraditional" breeds through horse sale websites, through local breeders, and through the national registries (which have classified ads usually) which is where my search ended (happily).

I ended up with a young Curly for myself (definitely a nontraditional breed for an eventer but research the breed--there are some out there doing great things in both eventing and dressage). He should become a very nice low level eventer--good mind, good movement, excellent foundation. Purchasing him through a Curly breeder ended up being a wonderful, personalized experience. I was very pleased with the horses and ponies the breeder had to offer--and the variety of disciplines these ponies/horses would excel in without high price tags (p.s. a Curly might make a nice broodmare/event prospect because you can make some really nice crosses.). I was also able to ride his father and see his maternal brother and sisters.

Good luck!

My friend got the most bang for her buck from sporthorsenation.

There are also several groups on Facebook, including Event Horses for Sale -- free and get a lot of traffic.
    The big man -- no longer an only child

His new little brother