The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by LookinSouth View Post
    Well actually the dosage of Pentosan Polysulfate in PentAussie works out to be the same as the Pentosan from nature vet that is 250mg/ml because PentAussie is dosed at 12ml versus the 6ml that Pentosan is dosed at. Therefore, both products deliver the same amount of Pentosan Polysulfate. I have not heard or read anywhere that Pentosan from nature vet is any more or less effective than PentAussie OR the 250mg/ml Pentosan compounded from Wedgewood.
    Sorry you are correct on the dosing (I forgot about that) so the concentration would be the same. I have read in a few places where people who have tried both have felt that the brand Pentosan has worked better. Now this is by no means clinical evidence or research studies. I haven't been able to find any studies comparing the two actually, but I would love to see one. I've read where people have had great results with the compounded versions and others have seen no difference.

Honestly, I think this drug's results are similar to any other drun in the fact they are going largely depend on how the individual horse responds. I'm hoping/praying it works for my horse, but I am going into it knowing there is absolutely NO guarantee it will.

Can Pentosan cause swelling in all four legs as a side effect? My mare does not typically stock up, but the morning after receiving her Pentosan injection her legs were blown up and sweating.

Quote Originally Posted by SaddleUp158 View Post
    Can Pentosan cause swelling in all four legs as a side effect? My mare does not typically stock up, but the morning after receiving her Pentosan injection her legs were blown up and sweating.

Any drug can cause side effects, even unexpected or unusual ones. Is the injection site OK? I'd be really vigilant for signs of a site infection, and might consider not using this product if a horse of mine had a reaction like that with no other explanation.
    Click here before you buy.

Wow I can't believe I am reading vets that REFUSE to prescribe it! That seems ignorant. My vet lets me know of the possible risks, but actually recommends it over Adequan based on the results her clients get from it.
    Quote Originally Posted by rustbreeches View Post
    [George Morris] doesn't always drink beer, but when he does, he prefers Dos Equis

I doubt if it is ignorance, strictly speaking, but rather an aversion to perceived risk. Everyone develops their own personal feelings about the pros and cons of using off-label drugs, compounded products, and medications from overseas. Vets and doctors are no exception.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    Any drug can cause side effects, even unexpected or unusual ones. Is the injection site OK? I'd be really vigilant for signs of a site infection, and might consider not using this product if a horse of mine had a reaction like that with no other explanation.

Injection site is fine. If this happens next week I will know that it is the Pentosan. She has had it years ago without reaction. I have been told that after being poultices last night and turned out this morning that her legs are a lot better.

My vet actually said that he would hope that it never gets FDA approval because it would become more expensive and less likely to be used by the average horse person. He is perfectly fine with getting it in compounded form, although as I said before my other vet was not.

I gave my mare her first dose of the Pentosan last night and everything seems fine this morning. Injection site looks great.

Injection site is fine. If this happens next week I will know that it is the Pentosan. She has had it years ago without reaction. I have been told that after being poultices last night and turned out this morning that her legs are a lot better.
    I have been corrected, my mare was given the Pentosan after her legs blew up. Not sure what it is now.

I've read the two threads related to Pentosan & just need some clarification. Are all forms of Pentosan (not Pentosan gold) compounded? How do you know if you ordered the generic version?

1 members found this post helpful.

I have been corrected, my mare was given the Pentosan after her legs blew up. Not sure what it is now.
    That's really good to know that it doesn't seem to be a reaction to the Pentosan. Still sorry that your mare's legs are swollen.

Quote Originally Posted by Kdash1228 View Post
    I've read the two threads related to Pentosan & just need some clarification. Are all forms of Pentosan (not Pentosan gold) compounded? How do you know if you ordered the generic version?
    Hopefully this helps...

Pentosan from Wedgewood (FL) & US Compounding is compounded Pentosan.

There is no "generic"

Nature Vet/Ceva makes Pentosan Equine Injection (In Australia). I guess you would consider that "brand name".

PentAussie is made in the US by Matrix Animal Health.

NatureVet/Ceva also makes a Pentosan Gold & Halo product.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalDressage View Post
    Hopefully this helps...

Pentosan from Wedgewood (FL) & US Compounding is compounded Pentosan.

There is no "generic"

Nature Vet/Ceva makes Pentosan Equine Injection (In Australia). I guess you would consider that "brand name".

PentAussie is made in the US by Matrix Animal Health.

NatureVet/Ceva also makes a Pentosan Gold & Halo product.
    Thank you so much for clarifying this! This makes so much more sense now

I ordered the Nature Vet/Ceva brand directly from Australia through horsemedsonline.com and I started my horse on it Monday. So too soon to tell how well its working although my mare ran around the pasture yesterday like she was practicing for the Belmont, so I'm taking that as a good sign. I'm going to wait to make a final judgment until she has had all four loading doses.

I *think* deltawave said in an earlier post that she gets hers from Wedgewood and has had success with that.

Quote Originally Posted by myhorsesibylla View Post
    I ordered the Nature Vet/Ceva brand directly from Australia through horsemedsonline.com and I started my horse on it Monday. So too soon to tell how well its working although my mare ran around the pasture yesterday like she was practicing for the Belmont, so I'm taking that as a good sign. I'm going to wait to make a final judgment until she has had all four loading doses.

I *think* deltawave said in an earlier post that she gets hers from Wedgewood and has had success with that.
    Horsemedsonline.com sells it for $800 a 100 ml bottle. How much did you pay?

Actually I get mine from Abba Vet, who gets it from Wedgewood. Seems to help my teenaged mare with mildly creaky hocks. Not that my anecdote is any more valuable than anyone else's. She's actually off it now since I've just bred her and I want no extraneous stuff in her body and she's doing well without it. *shrug*

I'll use it again if she seems to need it once she's foaled. (God willing, ultrasound next week so we're a long way away) If there is no clear need for it, however, I'd sooner use nothing on any horse.

Quote Originally Posted by enjoytheride View Post
    Horsemedsonline.com sells it for $800 a 100 ml bottle. How much did you pay?
    Yeah, the 100ml vial was just too expensive! They also sell it in single dose 6ml vials, so I ordered 5 of those. They were $54.95 a each and the shipping was $50...ouch However, I've been paying $80/month for Legend, so it's still cheaper than that, even with the shipping.

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    Actually I get mine from Abba Vet, who gets it from Wedgewood. Seems to help my teenaged mare with mildly creaky hocks. Not that my anecdote is any more valuable than anyone else's. She's actually off it now since I've just bred her and I want no extraneous stuff in her body and she's doing well without it. *shrug*

I'll use it again if she seems to need it once she's foaled. (God willing, ultrasound next week so we're a long way away) If there is no clear need for it, however, I'd sooner use nothing on any horse.
    Totally agree on both using only if there's a need and not wanting any extraneous stuff during pregnancy. I took my mare off of most everything when she was pregnant.

So, is your ultrasound next week to see if she took or to check on the foal/fetus?

I get mine (with a faxed in prescription from my vet) from US Compounding for $100 plus $7.95 shipping for 50ml bottle of 250mg/ml. Works out to 8 doses at 6ml each given every 3weeks for active eventing gelding who is a 13yr old OTTB. Works out to $13.50 a dose.