The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Talking Newer Olympic stallions...London, Flexible, Plot Blue, Rebozo, Bubalu, etc

Anyone breeding to them or have foals by any of the newer Olympic stallions like Eurocommerce London, Codex One, Plot Blue, Rebozo, BUBALU VDL, Chaman or Olympic Orestus?? Flexible???

Good or bad quality semen? Outstanding or eh offspring?
    Last edited by JumperFyre; Apr. 28, 2013 at 01:12 PM.

I have been to La Silla a few times and I have seen quality offspring from Rebozo. Lovely, modern types. They are very excited to have a successful stallion breed by them! Rebozo is small, just 1.60m

He already produced the approved stallion Rubens LS (Rebozo x Cash), who is currently in France.
    http://www.doublehfarm.org/tiny_mce/...zo/Rubens1.jpg
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_vcWlcH6ww

Other horses by Rebozo:
    http://www.doublehfarm.org/tiny_mce/...o/ROSELLA1.jpg
    http://www.doublehfarm.org/tiny_mce/...ozo/Rebeca.jpg
    http://www.hipicolasilla.com/wp/wp-c...m-ago-2011.jpg

Rebozo´s dam, Renata La Silla produced several successful sport horses and approved stallions such as Nelson Z and Corfu LS. Super dam!

Rebozo has a full sister named Rapsodia LS who is an amazing broodmare.

1 members found this post helpful.

I've been next to Rebozo and I can guarantee you he's taller than 1.60m Double H has him listed at 16.2. He sure seemed near that height when I saw him at WEF.
    "Sometimes you just have to shut up and color."

Quote Originally Posted by ponygirl View Post
    I've been next to Rebozo and I can guarantee you he's taller than 1.60m Double H has him listed at 16.2. He sure seemed near that height when I saw him at WEF.
    Well, maybe he developed later and is now taller, I only shared what I know from the people at La Silla. He was the smallest colt of his generation and they thought he would not be a great jumper look at him now!

Was interested in London, until there was no semen for NA, and the price went through the roof.

What about Flexible? I'm surprised no one has taken advantage of their low semen costs, (well not necessarily Flexible's cost). I mean, some meter jumper stallions in the USA want $1500 or more for a stud fee. Why would anyone pay that when you can breed to Olympic stallions or Olympic producing stallions?

My trainer was looking at Flexible. The main thing holding her back is his size.

I bred a mare to Flexible this season. She caught on the first try. I haven't made an official announcement as she isn't to 30 days yet.

I had my eye on him for several years, but was deterred because it was frozen semen, and most of my mares are in their late teens (the mare I just bred is 17). When they announced that his stud fee was going to go up, I booked. Their contract is VERY reasonable, and they are one of few that offer an LFG with frozen.

The frozen quality was quite good. My vet said it thawed at approx 50%.
    Fade to Grey Farm
    Eventing, Foxhunting & Connemaras
    *NEW* website:www.fadetogreyfarm.com

3 members found this post helpful.

For many breeders pedigree is equal to or often of greater importance than performance. Often younger, unproven stallions from superior performance producing dam lines are more attractive than "Olympic" stallions - to answer. Your question in the broadest terms

A-1performancesires has London for a very good price.

I am not sure where she will get the semen, as all of his frozen has been purchased by Paul S, not available to NA and $3500 for the breeding in Europe. I suspect that Ann needs to update her website. He is a very nice individual, but I'd like to see his offspring to have done something before paying that kind of price.

To agree with Tracy- Ann does NOT have London available this year and the price was from the beginning of 2012- it will be much higher according to her if she gets him again in the future.
    www.jazcreek.com
    Specialized Equine Rehabilitation and Fitness in the Wine Country

Quote Originally Posted by KateKat View Post
    My trainer was looking at Flexible. The main thing holding her back is his size.
    Flexible is throwing tall, leggy foals that are modern in type.

Our 2012 Flexible filly out of a Mezcalero-More Style xx dam is just 15 H at 12 months (measured on her birthday). There is a gelding son 11 months old out of an Abdullah mare who stands 15.1 H in Washington state. Our mare is 16.3 H. Don't know height on Abdullah mare.

We have a Flexible foal due in July out of a 17.1 H Galoubet A mare. But she throws tall so we are not concerned based on her production and Flexible's to date.

I tried to breed a mare to Flexible last year but, due to vet incompetency, it didn't work out. But Flexible's contract is very generous and I'm trying again this year with the same mare.

The contract was one of the reasons I used Flexible. I figured if I didn't get lucky with those vets, I'd try again with a quality repro vet. And I'm just starting that process now.

Size was also a factor. I like smaller horses, although I'm not expecting big from this mare (16.1hh TB) as her family tends to be petite. I breed for eventing, FWIW.

(Flexible's connections have been very pleasant and easy to work with.)

Quote Originally Posted by knowthatifly View Post
    Flexible is throwing tall, leggy foals that are modern in type.

Our 2012 Flexible filly out of a Mezcalero-More Style xx dam is just 15 H at 12 months (measured on her birthday). There is a gelding son 11 months old out of an Abdullah mare who stands 15.1 H in Washington state. Our mare is 16.3 H. Don't know height on Abdullah mare.

We have a Flexible foal due in July out of a 17.1 H Galoubet A mare. But she throws tall so we are not concerned based on her production and Flexible's to date.
    Is he? This is good to know. How are their temperaments? The mare is on the hot side so looking to tone that down a little.

Quote Originally Posted by KateKat View Post
    Is he? This is good to know. How are their temperaments? The mare is on the hot side so looking to tone that down a little.
    Yes, he is! But keep in mind my mares have size and throw size, but at least we know he does not throw small regardless of the mare's size as some small stallions do. As for temperaments, my filly is quite smart, inquisitive, friendly, and very aware of where she puts her feet. And she has good timing, too, as she was born 12 hours after Flexible won the 2012 WC Finals.

Curious, how would you price the resulting foals in comparison to a 'regular' foal in your program?
    Fade to Grey Farm

Would depend upon the foals' quality, not just the pedigree. If an average quality foal, then I dont think there is any justification for a 'higher' price just because of who the sire is. Also, the stallion is only half the equation. I would not have unrealistic expectations from a mare of lesser quality than the stallion.

Quote Originally Posted by sixpoundfarm View Post
    Would depend upon the foals' quality, not just the pedigree. If an average quality foal, then I dont think there is any justification for a 'higher' price just because of who the sire is. Also, the stallion is only half the equation. I would not have unrealistic expectations from a mare of lesser quality than the stallion.
    Lesser quality is a bit relative, especially considering most of the mares in the breeding shed haven't gone to the Olympics. Let's say assuming said mare has a proven performance career, has a pedigree full of proven performers, and has already produced better than average foals.
    Fade to Grey Farm