The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by PonyFever View Post
    How about an vintage apothecary label design? Something printed in blue on an "antiqued" label with your info on it. Your pretty blue jars would go very nicely with this type of design. Here are some examples that I found on the web after a very quick search:

http://graphicsfairy.blogspot.com/20...uty-cream.html

http://whereapy.com/tags/apothecary-label

Fab idea and, like you said, the old-fashioned look goes with the jars.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

1 members found this post helpful.

Bensmom is online now Grand Prix Premium Member
    Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by IFG View Post
    Apparently, I am alone in liking Logo #2. I think that it is cute.
    IFG, you are not alone! I like it too, but DH had reservations, which is why I brought it to you guys!
    *Proud member of the Hoof Fetish Clique*
    I have Higher Standards ...do you? Find us on FB!
    Higher Standards Custom Leather Care -- Handcrafted Saddle Soap

City of delusion in the state of total denial

How about an vintage apothecary label design? Something printed in blue on an "antiqued" label with your info on it. Your pretty blue jars would go very nicely with this type of design. Here are some examples that I found on the web after a very quick search:

I also don't particularly care for either one. #1 looks like a nice farm sign but isn't eye-catching on a bottle, and #2 looks like clip art in the center and is hard to take seriously. I think that particularly with your blue bottles, something like PonyFever suggests would stand out.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

#2 is too whimsical for me. I'll be honest, with that type of logo I'd be less likely to purchase it in a tack store.

I like the seriousness of option #1 but I agree with other posters that it looks too much like a barn sign design.

I have to agree....I like this direction. To me, I'd take the horses off. I know, we love horses....but to be honest, this soap is really marketable beyond horses. Plus you have the cute story that you are including in the instructions. But if the lable is going on the round top.....I like somthing like the vintage design or take #2 without the horses (keeping it simple).

What get's me to buy a product like this is picking it up, smelling it...and recomendations from friends.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Bensmom View Post
    IFG, you are not alone! I like it too, but DH had reservations, which is why I brought it to you guys!
    Aw, thanks. I was feeling like a real outlier. BTW, got my soap yesterday. Love the bottles and the smell. Have not used it yet. One other thing, I didn't get the story of your barn travels in my box. Will I live in ignorance forever! I suspect we have similar histories that led to our horses living at home .

dupe post, not sure why this is happening!

Original Poster

IFG -- check your PMs!

A combo of both options could work. Neither is strong or memorable visually, which is super important when trying to sell a product. I haven't read up on the back-story, but if you need more help, I'm a designer

Ok I'll give some more input I'm actually working on a blog post about this right now.

Why is your logo or 'brand' so important? The #1 reason is that the customer will pick a product like saddle soap mostly based on its appearance. Most people will be buying favorite, reliable brands..or looking for something attractive to give as a gift. Something to compare it to would be wine- I usually go for my favorite brands, unless I am buying for someone else as a gift...then I'm looking for something really beautifully labeled, something new, something unique.

A good brand is bold, cohesive, and memorable. What is a brand exactly? A brand encompasses every visual element of your company- the labeling, the colors, the product presentation, the packaging, the logo, the typefaces, the colors, the website, etc. If this is not consistent, it is confusing to the customer. "Design is the silent ambassador of your brand" - Paul Rand

There are some very good suggestions about a monogram... there are so many wonderful, beautiful equestrian style cues that could inspire this logo! It would be a dream project for me to help you develop a fantastic, memorable brand identity for what sounds like such a great product...so please let me know if you want to work with me I love to work with other small businesses and am probably A LOT less expensive than you think

~Leah
    Founder & President, Dapplebay, Inc.
    Creative Director, Equestrian Culture Magazine
    Take us to print!

Original Poster

Such good advice! I'm really appreciating everyone's feedback too!

leahandpie -- I'll send you a PM!

I got mine today!! I LOVE the jar with the white lid and the sponge inside. Mine came with Logo #1 and I think it looks really nice. Although the writing is pretty small.....umm my eyes need bigger writing now Won't comment on the actual product until I get to use it tomorrow!! I also did not get the story with mine....
    ~Run and Jump!~

I personally like the round shape of the second one better-- I think it would fit better on the round lid, and even though it is more cutsie, I like the idea and think it would catch my eye more quickly than the first one. I like the vintage idea, but I'm at Rolex in a hotel and the internet is too slow for the link to work Also, what about something along these lines? http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...QEwAw&dur=4654 I love the kind of country feel of the round sticker on the soap with the simple font and silhouette in the middle. I know you probably don't want the flower pattern like on the lids, but I really just like the circle label in the center

PS sending you a PM!

I like the round antique design idea (the first one suggested by Pony Fever) with the more finished look of your top design. I think it would be excellent with a round jar and would make me take a second look.
    "We don't ride the clock. We ride the horse." Reiner Klimke.
    http://community.webshots.com/user/arnikaelf

Based on just the two options (no other considerations), I personally like #1 better. The second design looks cheaper... especially considering the original ideal you had for the soap being a "higher standard" product.

I would either tweak the first design with a round border and maybe make it slightly less busy. OR (and more likely) I would combine the ideas of Pony Fever and leadandpie. Love the look of the old time apothecary labels. Also like the idea of making it more mass marketable with a monogram or other identifier that isn't strickly horse related. Afterall - I think this product could really expand to other markets!
    I have Higher Standards... do you?

"For the love of my horse, I know who I am."

Haven't tried the soap yet (but it's on my list!), but if I had to pick one of the two, no modifications - I like #1 - but, as others have said, there's an awful lot of "stuff" going on there.
    I think the apothecary style is really attractive (and totally fits with the blue jars), but think you could easily go with a very simple, streamlined design that incorporates the name and maybe just a jump (to play on the name - which I think is VERY clever). You might could incorporate the name into the jump design even - Like a plank jump, with the individual words incorporated into the panels (kind of like this: http://www.jumpswest.com/images/plank11.jpg ).