The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Horse owner anxiety dreams

Who else has them?

version 1: I turn out horse & forget. Then I remember, but in the meantime spring has arrived. I get out to pasture to find lush green grass...and foundered horse. It is a little different each time, but it usually involves tall grass & sick horse.

This is a really weird one, not sure where this comes from, but I have variations frequently:

For some reason I have shipped horse across country with me on vacation. It is time to return & for some reason I have to ship her back on an airplane, but I don't have any paperwork & I am late. Horse stranded at airport. ??

1 members found this post helpful.

Default Had one

...not actually a dream, more like a hallucination triggered by fever.

The previous evening, my horse had peed in the aisle while in crossties. I mopped it up, and because it was a cold winter night, I sprinkled salt on the remaining pee spot so it wouldn't freeze onto the floor.

Later that night the fever hit. I awoke in a cold sweat, convinced that the salt had interacted with the pee, producing a toxic fume that asphyxiated every horse in the barn.

Seriously, at 2 a.m. I was wondering whether to jump out of bed and rush down there.

I usually dream about my two horses that are deceased. Sometimes the dreams are happy where they are running in a large, grassy field, or sometimes I'm riding. Sometimes it's anxious where I'm searching and can't find them.

Oh yes! All sorts: get to the competition to find I don't have the horse. Get to the competition to find I am hours late. Horse has disappeared. Tail or mane has fallen out. Go away and forget to feed horses or arrange for someone to feed them.

Glad to read I'm not the only one!

Holy weirdness, whackos! I never dream about my horses. I do dream about people and I can do some lucid dreaming, so I "get it" that I'm working through some sub-conscious muck when I dream. But I think that the section of my life with animals is very "clean." There's not skeevy stuff there for me to work out.

OTOH, while awake and tired coming home from the barn, I wonder if I closed all the right gates and latches. I try to visualize doing that. Sometimes I can't and then get so paranoid trying to remember that I have to go back and check.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by maunder View Post
    I usually dream about my two horses that are deceased. .
    Thats my bad dreams too, about my old horse. One was where I had buried him but he was only asleep and not dead after all, so nightmare about him being buried alive, and the other was I found him in his stable and was so happy and excited he wasn't dead but then I realised he needed PTS and I was stressing trying to find an emergency vet. Horrible horrible dreams where I wake up crying.

Apart from that no, all the rest are happy horse owner dreams

When my Appaloosa was alive, I would dream that I was approaching him and he was laying down, with his back to me. As I would come around him, I saw that the coffin bone had come thorough both front soles.

Sometimes he was in a stall, and sometimes he was in a pasture. Other than that, the dream was always the same. He was laminitic in real life and had some pretty scary episodes. I guess these dreams were just my brain's way of dealing with the worry and stress.

My current gelding does not have the same level of health issues that Kipper did, and I don't have those kids of dreams about him.
    Sheilah

Oh, thanks. Never had one before!

But then my husband never had the giant-wave-that-you-can't-outrun-at-the-beach dream.

Until I told him about mine.

I have the forgotten-pet dream sometimes. Dogs I've boarded somewhere and remember years later I never picked up. Turtles and fish I suddenly discover I haven't fed in months.

But no. Never had a horse owner stress dream. Yet.

I have the dream that I have a stable full of horses and haven't fed them in two weeks or so. I usually wake up just as I'm approaching the stable to see what carnage awaits me...really upsetting...

I have panic dreams, moreso that I've left my child at home in her bed when I've gone to run errands now, but still have horsey ones. I dreamt a few nights ago that G's udder was HUGELY swollen and hard and hot, like as big as a cow's full udder but only on one side. The next day after I left the barn, I was like "Oh shoot, I forgot to check that," in case it had actually happened, which of course it didn't.
    Gracious "Gracie," 2002 TB mare
    Facebook me!

I have Higher Standards ...do you?

I dreamed that my horse was stolen, but I somehow knew the guy who stole my horse. I called him out on it, and he kept trying to give me horses that looked similar to mine but had different markings, thinking I wouldn't notice. I woke up very glad that it was a dream!

I've dreamed about taking a jump and just as Normie and I crest the top, we see there was nothing beyond it. No ground, no sky, just oblivion. I've also had one about driving up a very tall bridge and as I reach the top, the bridge suddenly ends.

There's a recurring one I continue to have about my mare Lucky having wings and us flying. Very enjoyable.

One of the funniest is that I was in bed, Lucky walked through the door, tossed the covers aside and said, "Move over. It's cold out there." Oddly enough, is was a winter evening when the power had failed and it WAS cold out there.
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Frank B View Post
    One of the funniest is that I was in bed, Lucky walked through the door, tossed the covers aside and said, "Move over. It's cold out there." Oddly enough, is was a winter evening when the power had failed and it WAS cold out there.
    I want to move my horse indoors all the time!

edit: in real life!
    Gracious "Gracie," 2002 TB mare
    Facebook me!

I have Higher Standards ...do you?

Oh yes!
    I have a recurring one where I'm riding my old pony at our local show ground, putting in the trip of a lifetime, when suddenly these people open the gate and start parading directly across the ring through the middle of the line we're jumping. And not just one or two people, dozens! Then my pony spooks and breaks into a flat out gallop, and I kind of just stay there when she dashes forward. Like suddenly having no pony underneath me! And I wake up right before I hit the ground. Its very odd.
    Another one involves jumping my current horse over this bizarre course set up on a beach made of stuff like giant beach balls and lobster traps. Its always about to rain. Everything is more or less okay until we jump a fence, and I suddenly see there are people lying on the ground on the landing side as we come over it. I wake up as I'm trying to turn my horse in the air to avoid them.
    The weirdest one also involves my old pony. I dream she has escaped and is in a farmer's field destroying all the crops, and I'm trying to get her out while the farmer yells at me. I can't seem to reach her without destroying all the crops myself which makes the farmer even angrier. I have no idea where that one comes from!

Ever since I was a kid (way before I actually had a horse) I've had dreams where I forget I own a horse. Then suddenly I remember and the horse hasn't been fed or turned out or ridden in months and months but is somehow still alive and I feel like the most horrible person in the world. Like I feel guilty even now, that's how much this dream has screwed me up.

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    OTOH, while awake and tired coming home from the barn, I wonder if I closed all the right gates and latches. I try to visualize doing that. Sometimes I can't and then get so paranoid trying to remember that I have to go back and check.
    Yup - count me in!
    I cannot recall dreaming about them, but I sure as heck have retraced my steps to the barn to make sure I latched stalls so they can't wreak havoc in the aisle.
    Or checked, rechecked a gate latch, made certain the hydrant was fully Off, etc, etc.

Ask me how I know any of the above can happen
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

Add me to the list of people who dream about forgetting their horses for long periods of time. Nothing like waking up and feeling like a terrible person!

I'm always at a show, and I realize I don't have a jacket. Or boots. Always some kind of missing apparel... and I'm running around the grounds trying to find whatever I need in a complete panic.
    "Dogs give and give and give. Cats are the gift that keeps on grifting." –Bradley Trevor Greive

Yup. Ever since I was a kid. Same dream - have forgotten to feed horse for oh, over a week. Get to stable and horse is dead.
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

Just as I suspected.

Last night I dreamt I was riding in a ring somewhere and looked down to notice these tiny little round holes opening in the footing beneath us. (I actually have these little holes in my back yard - called DH out last night to see if he could help me figure out what's making them.)

In my dream, the little holes kept getting bigger with every lap, until they became giant sinkholes.

However, Conjure was unperturbed and we successfully avoided every single hole.

Which is kind of how our real life often goes. Thank God for QHs.