The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Okay I am talking Circa 1968..
    Aggghh~
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

Quote Originally Posted by Sannois View Post
    Okay I am talking Circa 1968..
    Aggghh~
    I DO have a circa 1965 rule book, but it refers to a "separate pamphlet" (which I do not have) for Dressage.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Quote Originally Posted by alto View Post
    one had to be male and a calvary officer (to compete at the Olympic level).
    BOLD is mine. I believe that would be "Cavalry"???
    www.ayliprod.com
    Equine Photography in the Northeast

BHS training stressed long sleeves to provide "some protection" should you fall or from branches. And as someone who has fallen with and without sleeves, yeah sleeves provided some protection from some rather interesting and painful scratches and scrapes.
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

Proud owner of one Lunar acre! (Campanus Crater, The Moon)

Quote Originally Posted by fooler View Post
    BHS training stressed long sleeves to provide "some protection" should you fall or from branches. And as someone who has fallen with and without sleeves, yeah sleeves provided some protection from some rather interesting and painful scratches and scrapes.
    Doesn't really fit the topic at hand since the military influence ended long before I started riding and that point you made goes against the looser, sleeveless style that was allowed.
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
    Doesn't really fit the topic at hand since the military influence ended long before I started riding and that point you made goes against the looser, sleeveless style that was allowed.
    I believe they make an excellent point. I always ride in long sleeves or when its hotter 3/4 sleeves if I'm out of the arena. In an arena I will wear a polo. JMPO, but I don't like to see sleeveless shirts worn in a class. Looks like the rider thought they were still in warm-up.
    "All top hat and no canter". *Graureiter*

Quote Originally Posted by Sannois View Post
    Really? That is kind of rude.
    You mean because someone does not have perfectly toned arms, but has a great Dressage test, they are offensive?
    You totally missed their point.
    "All top hat and no canter". *Graureiter*

1 members found this post helpful.

Back in the 60s and maybe later it was considered gauche to wear anything sleeveless to work. And no bear legs except with shorts, always pantyhose.

These are fashion rules, which trump dressage rules.

PS
    Bear legs were really gross, unless property toasted. Make that bare legs.
    Last edited by narcisco; Apr. 25, 2013 at 09:18 PM. Reason: homonym issue

Bear legs are totally gross, however.
    See those flying monkeys? They work for me.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Gestalt View Post
    I believe they make an excellent point. I always ride in long sleeves or when its hotter 3/4 sleeves if I'm out of the arena. In an arena I will wear a polo. JMPO, but I don't like to see sleeveless shirts worn in a class. Looks like the rider thought they were still in warm-up.
    I believe the post I responded to was edited as I was replying to the cavalry influence expecting long sleeves. As for the BHS (as it now states) that still does not apply to the debate because the poster specifically states LONG sleeves and our rules allow short sleeves.

I also believe that you are basing your current opinion regarding sleeveless as looking incorrect only due to what you expect to see and the fact that it is incomplete because you only can see them in the warm up these days.

With current fashions including low rise and nearly see-through breeches, I would think the sleeveless shirt more than acceptable. Let's also not forget that some show shirts these days are a bit see-through and skin tight. I prefer the old fashioned rat catcher if you want something classic. Lets not even talk about skunk stripped helmets.

In a society where bare midriffs, bare legs, flip flops on the office and tops that show off more cleavage than a bar maid at a mid evil festival, showing bare arms really should be acceptable in the show ring--again.
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

I believe the post I responded to was edited as I was replying to the cavalry influence expecting long sleeves. As for the BHS (as it now states) that still does not apply to the debate because the poster specifically states LONG sleeves and our rules allow short sleeves.

I also believe that you are basing your current opinion regarding sleeveless as looking incorrect only due to what you expect to see and the fact that it is incomplete because you only can see them in the warm up these days.

With current fashions including low rise and nearly see-through breeches, I would think the sleeveless shirt more than acceptable. Let's also not forget that some show shirts these days are a bit see-through and skin tight. I prefer the old fashioned rat catcher if you want something classic. Lets not even talk about skunk stripped helmets.

In a society where bare midriffs, bare legs, flip flops on the office and tops that show off more cleavage than a bar maid at a mid evil festival, showing bare arms really should be acceptable in the show ring--again.
    Another poster referenced the cavalry, not me. I noted the BHS encouraged long sleeves. Actually not a bad idea especially with the newer fabrics. The long sleeves provide sun and insect protection.
    Agree that current fashion is to show as much as possible. Of course we all know fashion changes, to quote Heidi- one day you are in and the next you are out.

As yet another poster noted, if you don't like the current rules then follow the process to suggest a change to existing rules or to add new rules.
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

It's hot where I live. Coats get waved a lot. I have seen people ride with stock ties and even sleeveless when coats are waved, nothing has ever been said about it that I know of anyway.

Does anyone one of somebody who has had a problem?
    See those flying monkeys? They work for me.

Quote Originally Posted by nhwr View Post
    It's hot where I live. Coats get waved a lot. I have seen people ride with stock ties and even sleeveless when coats are waved, nothing has ever been said about it that I know of anyway.

Let's ask suzy! If for no other reason than to see if she can kill this thread that seems to be taking an all too serious turn.

Maybe I should send her out to the US Dressage Finals thread, too.

Paging Suessy!
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

Velvet talked about riding with a choker, but the 90's era rule was "without a stock tie" which is of course a different thing. I suspect the rule was changed to "without neckwear" to make the situation more equal for people who rode in stocks vs. chokers, and/or to clarify the rule. It would suck for jackets to be waived but people to feel like they now had to hunt down a choker.

In the hunters, if jackets were waived (um never), we still wore chokers.

And yes, 85 F is a nice day in California too. Plenty of shows when I was young where it was pushing 100 and we still wore (ugh) jackets.

As for the sleeves, I still giggle about the few years in eventing after vests were mandatory but no one thought to say that a shirt was.... Apparently someone on one of the rules committees couldn't live with that.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

I want to hear more about those "mid evil" festivals.
    Charter member of the I-Refuse-to-Relinquish-My-Whip Clique

Charter member of the I-Refuse-to-Relinquish-My-Whip Clique

Quote Originally Posted by suzy View Post
    Well , you know, it's half way between least and greatest evil festivals.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by suzy View Post
    Damn autocorrect!
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

Quote Originally Posted by nhwr View Post

Yes, absolutely. I have seen TDs warn riders in sleeveless shirts that they are in violation of the rules. The riders solve the problem by putting their jackets on for the show ring. I also saw a rider disqualified for wearing a stock tie with no jacket.

My own personal story - I had a really bad test last year where my stock tie fell off as I was entering the ring (someone left a horse in the trailer next to the ring, horse decided to destroy the trailer during my test - MY horse was not amused). The judge threatened to disqualify me for not having a stock tie at the end of the ride. I asked her to please do it - I didn't want THAT ride on my record. She was older and apparently (a) didn't hear the horse battering the trailer, and (b) didn't see my stock tie go flying, (c) didn't want to give me credit for NOT going flying...

Some judges and TDs take the dress rules more seriously then others. I am amazed when I hear people say they've never seen bits checked, spurs checked, whips checked. It happens at almost every show I've been to!

As for the "why" - I suspect it is all part of the formal dress code of dressage. I can remember as far back as the 80s, a short or long sleeve shirt was required.

Personally, I write something on the test. It is one of those may rules not a shall rule. Afaic, the riders neckware has zero to do with their performance, so if dont have to eliminate, I wont based on attire.