The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Another Power Pak question, sorry!

Having some falling out issues with BO. One includes inadequate hay where hay is supposed to be unlimited. I've even offered to pay more or supply my own if her withholding is a financial issue.

My 16.3 OTTB still ribby. So visiting trainer recommends getting a Power Pak, since we've only done ivermectin. And having a stool sample done.

Stool sample reveals very small count of strongyles - what vet says would be normally seen since the last worming done a few weeks ago. Vet says use of the Power Pak overdoing it, that another ivermectin should be fine.

I am close to moving the horse, so don't need that suggestion . I am just not up on Power Pak, worming cycles done regularly. Last barn I was at, we only wormed 2x a year. I feel terrible that I may have not been doing enough, but now with the result am confused.

Visiting trainer had been in the south for the winter, and there they rotated more frequently.

Vet is large animal, not solely equine.

Should I give him the Power Pak? (already ordered)

Thanks!
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

Deworming schedule depends on the horse and the environment.

My vet has me deworming my zero/low shedders 2x per year after we do a FEC. The high shedder is done more often depending on what her fecals show.

Rotational deworming just to deworm is old school thinking.

1 members found this post helpful.

Even if you do regular fecals, you should use something that gets tape worms 2x per year (tapes won't show in a fecal). Talk to your vet.

This ^

QuestPlus in the spring, Equimax in the fall. Make sure you're giving enough of the chemical to cover the weight of the animal.

If you're having weight troubles, a Powerpac can't hurt as encysted small strongyles do not show up on a fecal.
    Boyle Heights Kid 1998 OTTB Dark Bay Gelding
    Tinner's Way x Sculpture by Hail to Reason
    "Once you go off track, you never go back!"

What has worked FOR ME (YMMV, IANAV, all the usual disclaimers apply) is a power pak for the horse when I purchase it and a power pak approx every two years following. I DO use Quest or Quest Plus during the year, but I find my horses getting a little unthrifty in that second year if I do not repeat the power pak.

sorry to hijack the thread for a moment!

so... i've never done a power pak before. how does this work? i see it's something that may be beneficial for a horse that is having issues gaining weight which is what i'm dealing with currently. his FEC came back with minimal eggs and the vet considered it "normal". would a power pak be something beneficial in this case?

A powerpac is a double dose of fenbendazole for 5 days in a row. It is very beneficial in many ways. Not only does it target the encysteds, it's anti fungal and gives the immune system a boost. It can also benefit horses with ulcers.
    Boyle Heights Kid 1998 OTTB Dark Bay Gelding
    Tinner's Way x Sculpture by Hail to Reason
    "Once you go off track, you never go back!"

interesting. i was thinking i might need something to address tapeworms as those don't show up on FECs but perhaps this would be a better place to start.

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonsky View Post
    interesting. i was thinking i might need something to address tapeworms as those don't show up on FECs but perhaps this would be a better place to start.
    Fenbendazole doesn't get tapeworms. You need praziquantel or a double dose of strongid for that.

The right schedule depends on your location, your other parasite management practices (picking pastures, horses per acre, etc.) and your specific horse.

If you want to learn more, the attached chart from Jeffers is very helpful: http://www.jefferspet.com/images/art/equinedewormer.pdf

Jeffers also puts out a suggested dewormer rotation that has suggestions for different areas of the country: http://www.jefferspet.com/images/art...rmer_3-way.pdf

One local vet practice (New York) publishes their default rotational worming schedule on their website: http://midhudsonvet.net/equine_vital...rming_schedule

My horse is currently getting regular fecals (which thus far have always been zero). Therefore, we don't do any of the 'general purpose' deworming (per the Jeffers chart). He gets Quest in the spring (to cover bots and encysted strongyles) and Equimax in the fall (to cover both of those, plus tapeworms). If one of his fecals came back higher, vet and I would change the plan. I prefer this to the rotational deworming, where he would get something every other month regardless of whether he has anything.

I have never used a Power Pak. Until FEC's came about I simply rotated ivermectin, and did strongid, until Moxidectin appeared. I also double dosed Strongid for tapes until Praziquantal appeared.

Before that, in the dark ages, it was oxybendizole which is now so ineffective as to be worthless, and tube deworming, and wasn't that fun.

The one thing, having large horses, I always made sure, having large horses, that I adjusted dosage according to weight. I find that is a major failing in many deworming programs.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

I suppose if you don't have hard keepers, it's really easy to never even consider using a power pak. I've always had hardkeepers, and I find it pretty vital to keeping them in good condition.

Ad moxidectin DOES get encysted strongyles, just not as many stages of them as a powerpak.

CVPeg is offline Grand Prix Premium Member
    Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the answers! On the road at McD's, will do more reading when I get home later.
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

A small count "a few weeks" after ivermectin is indeed normal, and it's a bad time to have done a FEC for that reason.

Do a FEC 12 weeks after the ivermectin to see what the count is - that's the ONLY good count you're going to have on this particular horse's issue. If he's got a high count, then you can probably feel "good" that he had a significant enough encysted colony which has now emerged and matured, OR he doesn't have the immune system to deal with larva as he ingests them.

If he's high at the 12 week mark, THEN I'd consider Quest Plus, which will also get tapes. Then do another FEC 16 weeks later

This practice of "oh, he looks poor, just Power Pack him" is just one more reason we have such a resistance to fenbendazole.