The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default 2 trainers, one for local shows and one for the big shows

Anyone make this work? My trainer travels to the big shows and it's a bit difficult with work and family to keep up. Anyone have any luck with having a second trainer to meet at the easy breezy local B shows. I love my trainer and will use him for lessons still but need to keep sane. The big away shows are almost impossible with a job and kids

1 members found this post helpful.

Yes!
    My rider, who helps me at the big shows, made a recomendation for me when I wanted to do a few smaller A shows closer to home as she (rider/main trainer) was in VT all summer. As long as you are open and honest, this set up can work well.

That's good to hear! Yeah, mine is at wef for 3 months too

I just go by myself.

Trainer understands that my job gets priority, and that some shows don't have the division I compete in on the weekends. She trusts my horse, and that I can figure out a way to stay on him and make him look good without her presence

If you're not comfortable with that, just ask your trainer on a show-by-show basis who they know who will be 1) at the show 2)has another person in that division that way you're not taking time away from trainer's other clients (thinking about ring conflicts) or you're not making them get there super early/stay really late when hey otherwise wouldn't be.

Although I don't have two seperate trainers, at a friend's stables there are two resident trainers that work very closely together and the assistant trainer will take kids to the smaller shows that the head trainer can't be at. It seems to work very well for them.
    Mendokuse

I can't see why there would be an issue since your primary trainer is not available at the shows you are interested in. In fact, I'd consider asking your trainer him or herself for a recommendation as to who to use.

I was at a barn that had this same set up. It works... but of course I was jonzin to go to the away shows with my trainer.

The B trainer was very nice and I learned a lot from her too. So it works well other than I missed my trainer and wanted to go to the shows.

I understand the kids, life, yada yada - and of course money is why I couldn't go. But now I am finally in the position to be able to go to the away shows and enjoying every minute of it.

Have patience; things change and maybe someday you will be in the position to go with your trainer.
    Live in the sunshine.
    Swim in the sea.
    Drink the wild air.

Yeah just going myself may be the way to go. That way I can just do whatever the heck show I want

Yes, My kids lesson with a trainer that only does the bigger 'A' shows...which is not in our budget. I trailer them to about 1 local show a month, of our choice and they meet with a different trainer at each show. We have been doing this for 3 years and I wouldn't change a thing. I choose higher level trainers when possible, and I just meet them at the ring, so it keeps costs down ( no tack stall split, no hotel splits, etc). We have met so many nice people this way, and I can honestly say, my kids are better riders because of all the different trainers they use. My kids are also more independent ( I feel) than a lot of kids their age as far as showing goes....they doesn't require the " hand holding". They know their courses usually before the trainer does, they know their ponies strengths & weakness and they appreciate a different trainers opinion on things.
    I love the fact that we can pick and choose what shows we attend and I don't have to follow anyone's schedule. Also, the fact that they have a regular lesson trainer keeps them in check with moving up the levels and the home trainer knows what my kids need to work on with their Animals. He has helped us to stay on a program that works for us, he is always a phone call away if I have questions, yet, we have our independence to pick and choose what professionals we use at shows. Personally, I wouldn't change anything about our situation. It is perfect for us.

2 members found this post helpful.

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

I find that generally it works best if the trainer and the client mutually come up with an approach to stuff like this, whether it's meeting another pro at a venue the main trainer isn't going to, or going alone, or doing clinics or whatever. That way, the client can still take advantage of that trainer's experience/ expertise, and makes it clear that the arrangement is not due to any dissatisfaction with the main trainer or their program, thus preserving the relationship.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

It's nice to see how many of you do this. I love the idea of showing last minute if I feel like it or not showing if I don't. I have a friend who shows wherever she wants and just asks a trainer to stand ringside and help for the political gain but she is basically a as good as a pro showing in the AOs

I have been the "at home" trainer for many a rider who shows with big time people, it can work very well.
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

Quote Originally Posted by Lucassb View Post
    I find that generally it works best if the trainer and the client mutually come up with an approach to stuff like this, whether it's meeting another pro at a venue the main trainer isn't going to, or going alone, or doing clinics or whatever. That way, the client can still take advantage of that trainer's experience/ expertise, and makes it clear that the arrangement is not due to any dissatisfaction with the main trainer or their program, thus preserving the relationship.
    Yup. Be clear with everyone and ask rather than tell.

Also, it works way, way better if you are choosing a Little Show Trainer while your ride with a Big Show Trainer, and not the other way around.

Be sure to give the Little Show Trainer credit with others in your circle if he/she does a nice job. Remember that these folks work hard for very little and those little shows (with trainers at them) are disappearing. Sending money, praise and perhaps more clients the way of the Little Show Trainer is one way you can help insure that there will be little shows to go to. You'd be doing W-2 amateurs like me a real service, OP.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

A lady I board with uses two trainers. Her "show" trainer is over an hour away, so in between shows if she feels like she needs to do some prep work, she works with a local trainer. She often goes for several weeks at a time to a show, so she will lesson with "show trainer" at that time.