The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Helmet suggestions?

I feel semi-stupid asking this question, but it has been a very long time since I last purchased a helmet (yeah, the "best by" date on mine is circa 2008 or so...), and I don't know which one I'm supposed to buy...

I don't show much anymore, and though I was at WEF back in February, I wasn't studying anyone's helmets.

My current (and ancient) helmet is a GPA. I'm leaning toward just buying another one, but there are so many more options now.

Suggestions?
    "Are you yawning? You don't ride well enough to yawn. I can yawn, because I ride better than you. Meredith Michael Beerbaum can yawn. But you? Not so much..."
    -George Morris

If you want a "show helmet" (which you could also choose to school in) here is a list of some brands:
    - IRH (I have the ATH SSV which I really like and my friend has the IRH elite which I also really like. They also just released some new designs that look similar to the one K helmets)
    - Charles Owen (These are very popular in H/J world)
    - One K helmets (I don't know much about them but they look nice)
    - Samshield (Have seen these in person and liked them)

Schooling Helmets:
    - Troxel (My first schooling helmet was a troxel and I liked it ok, but it wasn't my favorite)
    -Ovation (I have the ovation schooling helmet and really like it. It is very breathable and light which is perfect for the hot FL weather we get)
    - Tipperary (I have seen many people use the sportage for everyday riding)

These are just a couple brands that came off the top of my head, there are a lot more out. Have fun in your search. And my advice would be to make sure you can try the helmet on before you buy it b/c they all fit differently.

I love my Tipperary Sportage. I bought it after my Troxel bit the arena floor protecting me in a fall. The Tipperary is lightweight and fits my big head very well.
    Alis volat propriis.

If you like the way the gpa fits you, then get another. The speed air is very popular right now, as long as you can afford it. If you want something cheaper, CO has great options like the AYR8 and the GR8 and samshield also makes good helmets. Some people also like the Antares and KEP helmets, but I personally don't. IRH has good cheaper options as does OneK.
    .אני יכול לעשות הכל על ידי אלוהים

I absolutely LOVE my IRH Elite Extreme. It is so cool in the summertime and it's a great comfortable fit. I really like the harness and the way the back comes down and cradles the back of my head. I cannot say enough good things about this helmet! I bought it in the silver/grey, and it's pretty cool looking!

I have the IRH Elite Extreme. I love the airflow you get through it. But, it doesn't fit me as well as my other IRH. I am in search of another helmet that still has the vents for the airflow, but that fits better. I tried the GPA Speed Air and felt it sat on top of my head; didn't come down around my head like the IRH. I tried the First Lady and felt it fit alot better, but not sure that I want to pay that price tag.

Quote Originally Posted by VTMorgan06 View Post
    I absolutely LOVE my IRH Elite Extreme. It is so cool in the summertime and it's a great comfortable fit. I really like the harness and the way the back comes down and cradles the back of my head. I cannot say enough good things about this helmet! I bought it in the silver/grey, and it's pretty cool looking!
    x2! I have the exact same one. I got it as a summer replacement for my GPA Titium (wearing black on your head in a Phoenix summer is pretty much like sticking your head in an oven). I feel like the shape is similar to GPA, both brands fit my head well where CO is like a skull crusher. However the IRH fits slightly looser on me than the same size GPA.

I just tried on a whole bunch of helmets since I'm going to have to replace my GPA Titium soon as well. If your head is as round as mine, you may as well just get another GPA, because NOTHING I tried on fit as well. Not IRH, not OneK, not CO, nothin'. Sigh. There goes another $400....
    Proud member of the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

PONY'TUDE

Quote Originally Posted by caradino View Post
    I just tried on a whole bunch of helmets since I'm going to have to replace my GPA Titium soon as well. If your head is as round as mine, you may as well just get another GPA, because NOTHING I tried on fit as well. Not IRH, not OneK, not CO, nothin'. Sigh. There goes another $400....
    Did you find another model besides the Titium that fits as well? I'm in the same boat but I would like something with a bit better airflow...

I have a OneK Defender for showing, and an Ovation Schooler for at home.

I have a Troxel for schooling and Charles Owen AYR8 for showing. I like them both, but definitely prefer the AYR8
    ~ In the chaos of the showing, remember riding should be fun for all, including our 4-legged kids.

Quote Originally Posted by KateD View Post
    Did you find another model besides the Titium that fits as well? I'm in the same boat but I would like something with a bit better airflow...
    I think the SpeedAir looks goofy so I didn't even try that one! I've heard good things about Samshield as far as airflow goes if you don't mind the pricetag...
    Proud member of the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

PONY'TUDE

CO HamptonClassic is perfect in all disciplines .

So greatful to get to ride!

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

I <3 my CO JR8. It is way more reasonably priced than most of the above mentioned options. I got it for $150 on sale. I actually prefer the look of it to the more expensive options too - I've never been a fan of the stripes!
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Pegasus for round heads.

Honestly GPA is the only thing that fits me also, so I got the speed air for more airflow. It's pricey, but worth it in my opinion. I can actually tell when I'm going a little too fast by how much air is rushing through the vents.
    .אני יכול לעשות הכל על ידי אלוהים

Quote Originally Posted by Chic Hunter View Post
    CO HamptonClassic is perfect in all disciplines .
    The Hampton is great, but it will definitely not fit the OP if a GPA fits her well. The COs are for a much different shaped head. I have had both brands and the GPA always felt like a vice on my head; the COs are perfect. They are much more oval-shaped than a GPA.

This is further proof that SNL and I are not actually the same person (although we are internet twins)!

I loved my GPA SpeedAir. I bought a Samshield last year and never pulled it out of the box because I loved the GPA so much.

I took a fall last week at a show that cracked my GPA right up the back. Now I love it even more because where I should have had bad whiplash (and then some) I am not even stiff at this point (4 days later). If I had the dollars right now I'd go buy another SpeedAir today!

But with that being said, my Samshield is a really nice helmet. It doesn't touch your forehead and so it feels like it's "floating" on your head and you get a nice breeze up the front.

So my two choices are GPA or Samshield. But I've also heard really good things about some of the cheaper brands, and have seen quite a few at the big shows lately. So I don't think it's necessary to spend $500+ on a helmet if you don't want to.

My head is oval but big so a lot of helmets rock side to side on me. I just ordered the IRH Elite Extreme as it comes in an "oval" option. It was $175 from Adams with free shipping.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE my One K! Rumor has it they are made in the same place as Samsheid

High quality helmet for about half the price of a GPA. I'd at least try one on before buying a GPA. I was in the same position as the OP and was purchasing a helmet for the first time in about 10+ years, I tried on all the major brands and ended up liking the One K the best.