The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Feeding the new cats- not what but when

I have two new cats-both rescues, the tuxedo I have had for about two months now, and the tabby, about ten days. I have a self feeder of dry, because at first, I had a great deal of trouble finding something the tux would eat at all. I found that he LOVES Fancy feast, so I began to give him a can a day, usually in the morning, but not early. Maybe about 10 o'clock. I do not want them to wake me up at 6 am crying 'feed me!'
    Now with the addition of a second cat, I am sticking to that. One small can each in the am, and all the dry they can eat. However, they WON'T eat the dry now at all. They act like they are starving, and whenever I go into the cat room, on the way to bathroom, they race in in expectation of being fed.
    I don't want them to go hungry, but I do not want to be manipulated by a couple of cats either! Should I just ignore them or feed them two cans a day, which would raise expectations even further. Suggestions?
    Another killer of threads

Since dry food isn't especially good for cats, I would feed them two cans, or more, a day. You don't say how old or big they are, but if they go to an exclusively wet diet, you will probably have to up your feeding quantity to more like two cans each a day. Here is some good info. on feline nutrition: http://www.catinfo.org/ IMHO a hungry cat isn't manipulating you, she is asking to be fed.
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses
    www.mysticowlsporthorses.com

1 members found this post helpful.

Thank you for that. I didn't include their ages, because I don't know how old they are. The tux was abandoned in a house for a good while, covered with fleas, and extremely anemic. They worked on him for a month or so. He is a BEAUTIFUL cat, and I cannot understand why they wouldn't at least, throw him outside or take to a shelter. [All intake locations around here charge for drop offs.] The second cat was a stray, and his age was estimated at 8 years. I do not know how they come to this, they said his teeth were a clue, but on the day I adopted him, there was a cat wandering around, who was a drop off. His age was 6 years, and his teeth were very white, so I just don't know. Anyway, thanks for the input. And I will check out the web site.

They might just be figuring out how impressionable you are as far as training goes -- if they cry a lot, they'll play up on your mothering instinct and get more of the gushy food!

I'd say wait them out -- they're getting their morning can, have the option to eat the kibble any other time, and can mew about it all they want.

Give an evening can as an occasional unexpected treat, fed somewhere other than where you give the morning can (if you have the space for it). That way you can do good by them (more meat/moisture in their diet) without turning them into total beggers.

ETA: The chasing you into the "food room" will lessen over time once they realize that food will be fed reliably.

ETA2: Another option might be to feed a can and a half to each in the morning -- if they're fairly new rescues, they might need the extra calories/meat/fat to rebuild muscle.

I agree with VT. They are trying to see how far they can push you. I have one (Oliver) who has inflammatory bowel disease and had major abdominal surgery. He was SO skinny post surgery that (in addition to free choice Blue Buffalo dry) I started feeding him "brefus," "lunchie," "din" and a 9 p.m. "snackie" (he knows all these words) of canned food. Lunchie now only happens if I am at home, ie on weekends. But "brefus" has to be three servings. And he wails piteously if I forget number 3. He's still on the thin side, so I don't have a problem with the 3 servings.

My cats have me very well trained.
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

just feed them AM and PM. canned is supposed to be better....

I don't feed fancy feast (mine do not touch anything that's pate) but I pop a can open and split between 2 cats (5.5oz), have dry out all day, since #3 does not do cans.

When they are not very hungry and leave stuff in the bowls I skip a can feeding or two. Yes, evil me

But when they are really hungry, why not feed them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Have you wormed the cats in recent memory?

Otherwise, I think cats do learn to hold out for the good stuff. Meh, wet food am and pm plus the always-open source of dry food seems pretty First World to me. Harden your heart.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/im...cons/icon1.png
    'Have you wormed the cats in recent memory?'
    Both are recent acquisitions from a vet and an upright rescue. They are the very picture of health. The tabby is chubby. well, fat. The tux is long and lean. I want them to get enough to eat. I do not want them to train me to feed them when they squall.

^^^ Have we seen pictures of the Tux cat yet? Get him to pose so that we can appreciate his beauty.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Quote Originally Posted by Larksmom View Post
    http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/im...cons/icon1.png
    'Have you wormed the cats in recent memory?'
    Both are recent acquisitions from a vet and an upright rescue. They are the very picture of health. The tabby is chubby. well, fat. The tux is long and lean. I want them to get enough to eat. I do not want them to train me to feed them when they squall.
    oh, good grief.
    Just give up resisting and feed them already!
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Default update

Weii, for two days J have fed them twice and just as I suspected, they have become peevish and cross. They swing on each other, and worse, they swing on the dog who KNOWS she isn't even allowed to look them in the eye. Ungrateful little creeps.

Quote Originally Posted by Larksmom View Post
    Weii, for two days J have fed them twice and just as I suspected, they have become peevish and cross. They swing on each other, and worse, they swing on the dog who KNOWS she isn't even allowed to look them in the eye. Ungrateful little creeps.
    flying lessons!
    a swift butt to the butt does cure a many problems with the little gods and goddesses....