The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Rolex - tips on traffic navigation on XC day?

I remember seeing a thread that had a suggestion on the best way to approach KHP on XC day to avoid the majority of the traffic, but now I can't find it again. Does anyone know what I am talking about?

Thanks!
    Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion.... ~ Emerson

I would recommend using the back way, Newtown Pike which is the 1st exit south of Ironworks. Take Newtown Pike north, left on Ironworks and come in from the opposite way to the KHP. It would help you avoid all the traffic coming off I-75.

2 members found this post helpful.

I read all of the horror stories about the traffic into Rolex when we went last year but in reality, if you just get up and to the horse park early, you shouldn't really have any trouble.
    Blog: http://movingonupeventing.blogspot.com/

Don't believe the hype.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by JFCeventer View Post
    I read all of the horror stories about the traffic into Rolex when we went last year but in reality, if you just get up and to the horse park early, you shouldn't really have any trouble.
    How early??

About 90 minutes early. By the time you get into the park, walk to the xc course, and scope out a spot you only end up waiting 25 minutes or less. We started by the first water last year, then moved along the course. Traffic was pretty much a non-issue.
    Blog: http://movingonupeventing.blogspot.com/

Don't believe the hype.

Parking is now included with the entry ticket price so traffic flows a lot faster into parking (thank some genius for that finally).

But it is park and hike in. Sure wish they ran a shuttle in parking to the gate - that's why they call me Grandma now I used to be the one out front and no one could keep up with me, now I'm the one bringing up the rear.
    The truth is what you can get other people to believe.

-- Tommy Smothers

Ohio: Charter Member - COTH Hockey Clique & COTH Buffy Clique

Quote Originally Posted by pony grandma View Post
    Parking is now included with the entry ticket price so traffic flows a lot faster into parking (thank some genius for that finally).
    While it makes sense from a traffic/parking standpoint, you do realize that by including it in the price of the ticket, they end up with a LOT more money. I mean, how many people do you know that drive to Rolex by themselves? Instead of 1 parking fee for a group of 4 that carpool together, they now get 4 "parking fees".

If I'm wrong, let me know. I haven't actually been in a couple years.
    "Of course it's hard. It's supposed to be hard. It's the Hard that makes it great."

"Get up... Get out... Get Drunk. Repeat as needed." -- Spike

I don't think the price really went up, so I'm not sure how much it matters. It does make sense that they'd make a little more, but as long as it's a good value and parking is easier, I'm all for it.

Getting up early is the key, but traffic hasn't seemed too bad the past two years. However, I do go a back way. Don't they have shuttles from a hotel or downtown or something? I can't remember. I just hoof it from a parking spot.
    "If you can't feed 'em, don't breed 'em."

Quote Originally Posted by carasmom View Post
    I would recommend using the back way, Newtown Pike which is the 1st exit south of Ironworks. Take Newtown Pike north, left on Ironworks and come in from the opposite way to the KHP. It would help you avoid all the traffic coming off I-75.
    Thanks so much! We are staying at the Marriott Griffin Gate, so this is the way mapquest has us going. Perfect.
    Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion.... ~ Emerson