The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Flying changes question

I recently started my horse on flying changes.

I ride in a countercanter on the rail, then ask for a little renvers, then straighten and change over to a slight shoulder-in. Then I give the new canter aid.

The horse reacts immediately when I ask for the new lead, by giving a buck and changing leads.

Here's my question, what would you do? Ignore the buck for now and praise for te effort/change? Or go back and redo the whole thing? Punish the buck?

My friend and I were having this discussion and disagreed on what the right course of action is. Curious to see what COTH has to say

IMO, don't ever punish a change. If you get one where you don't want one, make a calm correction but no punishment.

For the bucking, try to emphasize straightness and collection. When asking for the change, give a micro release but maintain the poll position, that should inhibit the buck.
    See those flying monkeys? They work for me.

1 members found this post helpful.

i would not punish because how is horsey supposed to know what he is being punished for? the buck or the change?

so instead i would continue with the work and make sure you are riding forward enough and praise him when he changes as asked. The exuberance can be part of the learning process.

also, how is the timing of your aids? is he possibly bucking due to a timing issue?

Never punish a buck during a change. Ignore and carry on.

In fact most of the time, I don't punish misbehaviors. I just ignore and carry on with my original plan.

Ignore and ask again. Ignore and ask again. Horse learns, without violence or negative emotion, that playing along is easier for all involved. He comes to this conclusion on his own, and thus proactively decides to ride WITH you, the easier way. As opposed to resenting being made to do something.

Especially with the lead change, he doesn't even understand. There he is cantering along in counter canter like you asked and now your aids are all over him. So just ignore and carry on and look for places you can tell him, "Yes!! That's it!!"

3 members found this post helpful.

My horse would buck when I did not have her straight enough. Essentially I was asking for the change when she was positioned in her own way and bucking was her way of getting enough airtime to get out of her way and do the change.

i do not punish for the bucking change...I just try it again to see if I can get her set up better.

Proud owner of one Lunar acre! (Campanus Crater, The Moon)

My thought is that you are asking too strongly with your aids. That the horse should be super light off the aids and listening and the rider needs to trust in doing less when asking and if not getting the change they go back to clarifying the lead aids through walk canter transitions on the long side asking for alternating leads.
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

I wouldn't punish, just stay calm and repeat the process until he gets it.
    I'd also say look at the timing of your aids. Give the aids as the leading leg is coming forward, before suspension, it takes a while for him to register your request.
    But never punish, how will he know exactly what he's being punished for.

Quote Originally Posted by SaddleFitterVA View Post
    My horse would buck when I did not have her straight enough. Essentially I was asking for the change when she was positioned in her own way and bucking was her way of getting enough airtime to get out of her way and do the change.

i do not punish for the bucking change...I just try it again to see if I can get her set up better.

When my mare was learning the changes she would leap up (about 4 ft off the groud) to get the proper clearance for a change. Easy to sit since she wasn't trying to unseat the rider - so I ignored it. Changes are now (when I set her up correctly) clean - without leaping - I just have to ensure she is VERY active with her hind legs prior to asking for the change.
    Sandy in Fla.

If you have the horse too restricted (too tight, too 'slow', etc) they might HAVE to 'buck' to accomplish the change.

I'm not a fan of moving the hind quarters around to set up for a change. On some horses keeping them straight during multiple changes is hard enough. Think now of where you want to be next in your training .

So if a buck happens, I wouldn't punish. I would rethink my "set-up" for the change.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

It may be that his hind steps are not close enough, and he's getting claustrophobic.
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble