The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    I am racking my brain trying to figure out where you live in LA that you can have horses in the backyard, but it's a scary area. Compton?

Does anyone at the barn have a horse that needs exercising since you are only riding yours once a week? Maybe you could get some more riding time in that way.
    Weird thing about LA county is there are pockets of good areas then you hit a bad pocket. If you have ever visited Beverly Hills you would know just what I am talking about. I live in a nice suburb but surrounded with bad pockets.

And yeah, horses here are hanging on by a thread here

I was riding more but now my two boys at home are not really ride-able and my new horse I ride two times a week. However, my big horse looked pretty good in turn out yesterday he was even rearing and playing. My one horse that I used to ride three times a week is REALLY bad right now in the hind end.

My kids and hubby have been bugging for a dog recently. It's been quite some time since our "Elvis" passed away in 2007 and we haven't been able to open up to another dog - maybe it's time. He was my hubby's dog and my hubby was heartbroken when Elvis got cancer. He was a BIG dog and we used to walk a lot more when we had him.

When I told my hubby we were going to start walking and jogging he said then he wants a dog.

So out of wanting to be in better shape - I get a dog?? LOL
    How people treat you is their KARMA.... how you REACT is yours!

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

I read something awhile back that said that people who owned dogs were in better shape because they pretty much had to take them for walks.

I hate running and figure that if I'm going to wreck my knees I'd rather use them up on a horse. I enjoy biking especially when I haven't been able to ride much as you get to go a bit fast and have the wind in your face. I like to walk, but my neighborhood isn't fabulously scenic. I like to check out people's yards (plants) but I know what most of them look like by now. I will walk along the beaches that aren't too far from home. Do you have decent horse trails you can walk on? Or are those scary too?
    The Evil Chem Prof

Quote Originally Posted by doublesstable View Post
    and my new horse I ride two times a week.
    This I'm confused about, why not ride him more?

So out of wanting to be in better shape - I get a dog?? LOL
    sounds about right

Commiserations on your health issues

Quote Originally Posted by alto View Post
    This I'm confused about, why not ride him more?

sounds about right

Commiserations on your health issues
    I have my new horse in full training so he gets 4 days of my trainer riding him. And he's boarded about an hour away. So I drive out two days a week. And right now he needs the trainer more than he needs me; other than the carrots I bring him

Peggy, we do have a small trail that I do walk on but these days you just never know. I think running is okay but LOVE how it gets my heart working. Other than riding
    How people treat you is their KARMA.... how you REACT is yours!

Well I vote for you riding 3 days a week (afterall if you do lessons, it's almost the same ) & your trainer 3 - much more equitable!

I assume right now he's got an off day, but you could also make that a gallop on the beach day... OR you could take him for a walk.
    (heh I watch TV, there's always a beach in California, just moments away )

Can you take your horse for a walk? The one who feels good? I'm sorry, I don't really understand your location, so this might not work at all...would having a horse with you make you less/more safe in these areas?

I did this all the time in our last place, whenever I felt like getting a dog...grabbed a halter and the young horse and hit the trails. It's fun, and handy to expose horses to trails. People stared, but whatever. They stare when I rode too, horses just weren't common sights on those trails.

Invest in quality shoes, that makes a huge difference on the knees (ex-rugby player, I'm young, but my body took a lot of abuse.) I jog with my Endurance horse, but you definitely don't need to run to get a cardio benefit...just walk energetically enough to get your heart rate into the aerobic zone. If working aerobically 3 times a week doesn't have you feeling a bit fitter in 3 weeks or so, then you may want to investigate the medical issues.
    Lifestyle coordinator for Zora, Spooky, Wolfgang and Warrior