The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Stamina, endurance, cardio - help...

Asking for ideas and help on the subject. When I ride which now is only twice a week I am "huffing and puffing" and it's not pretty. I don't care what non horse folk say that the horse does all the work - phooey on that - then why am I breathing so hard?! I think my trainer is afraid he's going to kill me some day.

So I decided to start power walking. It's going okay so to build up thee old heart I put in a few houses of jogging. Thinking I would build up more houses each day and bazinga my knee is screaming at me.

Okay, so I am almost 50 but I don't like huffing and puffing when I do stuff. So talking with the hubby as we went on tonight's power walk about getting a stair stepper or some type of elliptical thingy.. I don't want it to become a hanging area for my clothes, basically something I will use to build cardio.

My horse is kicking my butt right now.
    How people treat you is their KARMA.... how you REACT is yours!

Swim. Easy on the joints, great for fitness. The only thing I don't like about Planet Fitness is no pool.
    http://www.tbhsa.com/index.html

Originally Posted by JSwan
    I love feral children. They taste like chicken.

1 members found this post helpful.

Elliptical is good for low-impact cardio, I also agree about the swimming. What about a bike?

I think everyone I know who has ever bought a piece of home fitness equipment turned it into a glorified coat rack. Also: it's boring (at least to me). Weather is getting nicer so I agree-keep power walking, add in intervals if you can (I.e. super super power walk for a minute, walk slower for a minute. If you're near hills, added bonus!) or try biking or swimming. Anything to get you moving and your heart rate up will help.

Quote Originally Posted by doublesstable View Post
    then why am I breathing so hard?
    If you haven't had a check up in awhile, maybe get some bloodwork done to rule out anemia, low iron etc

Swimming, spin, and LOTS of posting trot. Omg, want to see me die? 2nd round of flat classes after 3 weeks of being back after 4 month break = death. This last weekend the judge drew out the classes, there were 2 people in my division, one was me! I kept thinking "WALK, SAY WALK!!"...and my horse walked and there went my blue. LOL.

Sometimes young folk don't realize things don't work so good with with joints and such past a certain age and a lot of 50+ types are not going to jump enthusiastically into a spinning class. Lower back, knees and ankles might have considerable objection.

I found the walking, Pilates and/ or yoga done on my level of (in)competence and a GOOD chiropractor did more then anything else. Look to your diet to reduce inflammation...and, face it, the less weight those joints have to pack around, the better. Try a joint supplement too.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

You live near the mountains, right? Start hiking. There's nothing like it for fitness, and it's never boring.

Get a book on hikes in your area and look for hikes that are 5-6 miles with an elevation gain of around 1500-2000. Using poles will make it easier on your knees. All you need is a good pair of shoes and a water bottle.
    Last edited by Bristol Bay; Apr. 24, 2013 at 06:12 PM.
    A helmet saved my life.

2014 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!

By far and away the best workout I've done for my riding (and possibly just plain best workout, period) are barre classes. They are no impact, only an hour long and in that hour all of your muscles will be worked to the point of feeling like jello. It's isometric exercise, so lots of reps with low weight, and will do a ton to anyone's core and thighs in particular (although your arms, calves and butt are certainly not spared!). After my first class, my trainer commented that I obviously wasn't stronger, but that I was so much more connected to my core.

My favorite studio program would be The Bar Method and I have gone to some classes at my new "normal" gym too. The instructors at the first are just so, so amazing at giving good corrections and positive reinforcement. The ones at the gym are also good but not amazing. There is another studio chain called Pure Barre and I have found they do not do any corrections, and if I'm working my butt off in the gym, I want someone to make sure I am doing it right.

Start with walking or swimming with a bit of yoga or pilates mixed in to work on flexibility to reduce your chance of pulling anything. Then ask if you can help out on some of the barn chores -- weight bearing work does wonders for women of any age to promote bone health.

The best workout ever is pushing around a full wheelbarrow of manure over uneven terrain -- you use just about every muscle group in your body including getting a good cardio just to keep that cart upright!

Quote Originally Posted by findeight View Post
    Sometimes young folk don't realize things don't work so good with with joints and such past a certain age and a lot of 50+ types are not going to jump enthusiastically into a spinning class. Lower back, knees and ankles might have considerable objection.
    I'm not sure if you were commenting on my suggestion of biking or not, but by no means was I suggesting spin class! I find just cycling (stationary or along the road) has really helped me, especially since I usually have shin splints and/or knee pains. Not terribly hard impact and great cardio/leg workout!

Thank you all so much for the ideas.....

I love swimming and we do have a pool but I am a wimp when it comes to cold water and it's too expensive to heat.

I thought about one of those elliptical things too. Maybe I could find one someone is using for a coat rack. LOL

I did walk this am and it went good but sad to say I sometimes feel unsafe. Creepy guys drive by and look or stop - I live in Los Angeles - so usually I take my hubby with me but he's not always around. Maybe that's why I am looking for something I can use in my house.

Or I need to get a walking buddy. Or a big dog. Maybe I need to buckle down and sign up for a class. I will check out the barre classes in my area.

Having horses in my yard I try to do as many chores as I can and can lift 50 to 80 lb bags of feed but the thing that seems to be my issue is cardio - heart rate. I run a few houses and my heart feels like it going to fall out of my chest. I just don't have that kind of fitness.

I have seen the doctor recently and blood work done. I do have fibromialgia - eating good foods helps but I do stray away quite often. I have also had Pericarditis which is an inflammation of the pericardium of the heart - heart checked and it's good to go.

I really think it's just lack of cardio work... but my knees are trying to say NO to it
    How people treat you is their KARMA.... how you REACT is yours!

If you don't have a big dog, borrow one from someone. Many people would be thrilled for you to take their dog for a good hike. I pretty much rely on dog walking for my cardiovascular exercise. We do live near some large wooded parcels, so I'll take the dog in there and go for a 3-5 mile hike...fast pace and including uphill portions. I have a big, young, dog myself now, but there were a couple of years when my elderly dog could no longer go as far or as fast as I needed to and I did not have the young dog yet...I borrowed my neighbor's Pit Bull. Everyone was happy, the neighbor whose dog got exercised, the Pit, of course, and me...I felt safe with that dog with me and no one ever even looked at me .

This may sound silly but do you breathe enough when you ride?

I used to hold my breath during most of my ride unless I was walking. I've become more aware of my breathing and it has made a HUGE difference in my stamina.

6 members found this post helpful.

bM - that is totally MY problem. Oy.

I have the same problem with a shortness of breath, particularly during stressful situations. Last fall, I actually couldn't breathe coming out of the ring and I think I terrified my trainer, the steward, the judge, and the stand-by paramedic. I've gone to the doctor, repeatedly, because I am just not going to take the "get in better shape" as an answer - I mean, c'mon, I'm not THAT out of shape. Eventually, they diagnosed it as exercise onset asthma and gave me a puffer to take just before I go into the ring.

I also made a conscious effort to breathe in the ring. My trainer would actually call to me from the rail to breathe.

Between these two approaches, I am able to keep my breathe most of the time. I still have bad moments, but they are less frequent.
    ~ In the chaos of the showing, remember riding should be fun for all, including our 4-legged kids.

I have the big dog you are talking about - 150lb great dane - and unless we are doing hills, it doesn't seem to affect my fitness. I can walk about 7 miles pretty easily doing 15-16 minute miles, so keeping a decent pace. Maybe it is just where my fitness baseline is, but I have found exercise that focuses more around muscle development than light cardio helps my riding so, so much more. Any hours I've spent on an elliptical haven't seemed to make any real changes.

I swim. This morning the guy next to me rested more than he swam....my point is that with any cardiovascular exercise the heart rate has to get high enough to develop fitness.

If you like to swim, join a gym, or the local YMCA so you can have a nice heated pool.

You have to give it time though - it takes a while to build up stamina. Start slow and build up gradually. It will take more time than you want it to, but you'll get there.

I third the get a dog idea. I used to go all over a large riverside park area between Dallas and Ft Worth when I was getting back into shape in my late 30s. No woman should really have been there alone but I had a good sized, very protective Australian Shepard at my side who never got tired.

OP sounds like she has room for a protective pet that would love to go hiking.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

I am racking my brain trying to figure out where you live in LA that you can have horses in the backyard, but it's a scary area. Compton?

Does anyone at the barn have a horse that needs exercising since you are only riding yours once a week? Maybe you could get some more riding time in that way.
    A helmet saved my life.

2014 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!