The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Organic vitamin E selenium supplement in Canada?

Does anyone know Where to get organic vitamin E selenium supplement in Canada? Thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by Fharoah View Post
    Does anyone know Where to get organic vitamin E selenium supplement in Canada? Thanks in advance!
    KY Horse products has Natural Vit. E and Selenium, not sure if it's organic.... http://kppusa.com/all-products/elevate-se/
    Royal Guardian- aka "Gabe"

Go to your local drugstore or health food store and pick up human organic products. As long as you know how much of each you need to feed per day, you should be able to do the math going by the human labels. Most horses I've fed vitamin E capsules to will just eat them in their grain. A persnickety one or two needed to have them popped and squeezed. The selenium tablets always seemed to disappear without a trace - I never had one leave them in the bottom of the feed tub.
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +
    Ahhhh, spring is here. The birds are singing, the trees are budding and the paddocks are making their annual transformation from cake mix to cookie dough.

Sorry, I don't know either. I just get the Vit E 1000IU capsules (d-alpha tocopheryl acetate form) and feed the selenium yeast.

Previous tests were all vitamins and minerals were within normal range. I switched his feed in April and his blood tests now show he is selenium and zinc deficient. I don't think there is anything wrong with the feed just that he has not been getting a large enough quantity. I needed organic supplement ASAP. I am very sad my boy is deficient

Have you checked with Herbs for Horses? I used to use their Sel-E-Nium supplement as it was one of the only ones in Canada that contained selenium yeast instead of sodium selenite. The yeast is more bioavailable.

It would be worth checking with them in any case. It was also reasonably priced.

www.horseherbs.com
    I've spent most of my life riding horses. The rest I've just wasted.

Previous tests were all vitamins and minerals were within normal range. I switched his feed in April and his blood tests now show he is selenium and zinc deficient. I don't think there is anything wrong with the feed just that he has not been getting a large enough quantity. I needed organic supplement ASAP. I am very sad my boy is deficient
    Try adding human Vitamin E capsules......3 to 4 capsules (400IU).

My guys were getting the max of an organic selenium supplement and were still grossly low.......added the vitamin E capsules and 6 weeks later there selenium soared and I cut back by half.

I was using Platinum Performance selenium which was imported from the states but I have now found a source locally that sells it in bulk it's call Selplex.....at least I think that is the name.....it is yeast based.

Dalemma

I don't know if organic is better than the other but I buy mine at Otter co-Op where they bag it up from bulk and it is very inexpensive...don't know if it is or is not organic.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

Quote Originally Posted by Foxtrot's View Post
    I don't know if organic is better than the other but I buy mine at Otter co-Op where they bag it up from bulk and it is very inexpensive...don't know if it is or is not organic.
    Your selenium?

Quote Originally Posted by Foxtrot's View Post
    If it is a brown color than it is a yeast therefore organic. Organic is supposed to be more easily absorbed.

I believe that is where mine comes from as well.

Dalemma

\"Have a heart that never hardens, a temper that never tires, and a touch that never hurts.\" Charles Dickens

What is an organic vitamin or mineral? I'm not sure what meaning of "organic" you are using here, or how either would apply.

If you need increased bioavailability, look for an amino acid chelate (maybe that's what you mean?) of the selenium and zinc. Really though it sounds like your horse is just not getting enough of these minerals, and you just need any good supplement, or a more suitable feed (better fortified/geared toward a horse that is not eating a large quantity), like a ration balancer.

Here is a good article regarding bioavailable vitamin E supplementation: http://www.cvm.umn.edu/umec/lab/vitE/home.html
    *CrowneDragon*
    As Peter, Paul, and Mary say, a dragon lives forever.

1 members found this post helpful.

Thanks! I think as long as it is non GMO that would be okay. My horse had been on a ration balancer for years and tested normal range in everything. But property owner wants organic on farm so in April my horse was switched. After three of grain test I redid the blood test and he tested low in zinc and selenium. I think the organic grain is sufficient and it has vitamins and minerals added but we have been feeding him less than the suggested amount. Around five pounds a day was recommended but he is super easy keeper and five ponds a day feels like to much him. I think it's my fault he is now low in these minerals so I just need a non GMO appropriate supplement. Property owner wants organic but would likely accept non GMO on her farm. It is a great place for my two to live great turnout and very well cared for with large stalls.

I believe what you are inquiring about is E/Se where the Selenium is from an organic source, meaning from yeast versus mineral. I've used the supplement below for years. It brought my horses Se levels up quickly where a mineral based Se didn't.

Uckele has an excellent supplement, E and SE 10X http://equine.uckele.com/vitamin-mineral/e-se-10x.html

I see there is a place called "Trainers Choice" in Old Castle, On that is a Uckele dealer.

chicamuxen

There is a difference between "organic" meaning "raised without pesticides, free of chemicals, etc." and "organic" meaning "from a carbon-based source".

The latter has nothing to do with husbandry or practice, but is a biochemical fact of life. Some things are carbon-based and some are not. Elemental selenium is "non-organic" while yeast-derived selenium is from an "organic" (carbon-based) source. Neither is "organic" in the sense that Fharoah's farm owners are thinking about.

I had a friend remind me that I should be using "organic" potassium and calcium on my pasture. Kind of tough to do.
    Click here before you buy.

Animed is a company that makes a E/Se/Zinc supplement and the Se is also from a yeast (organic) source. It is very reasonably priced (all their supplements are) in the US. It has all three of the ingredients that your vet recommended. don't know about availability in Canada.

chicamuxen