The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default AYR8 helmet

So I go to the tack store and try on an AYR8 helmet. They only had a 7 and a 7.5 left. The 7 was a bit tight, the 7 1/2 was really loose. Since I normally am a 7-7 1/8, I ordered the 7 1/8. I ordered it on ebay from England, and got it for $125 less than the tack store. Problem is, its tight. I've decided to wear it around the house and it is bearable, but not ideal.

The clerk said that they relax after a bit and that she bought hers comfortable and now its too big. Did anyone else find that theirs relaxed to the point of being a bit loose? Should I stick it out or send it back?
    If forwards doesn't work, go sideways!

Yes, they do. My GR8 gave me a headache when I first got it. Now it fits perfectly. My AYR8 fit perfectly when I got it but now it is too loose.
    Triple J Ranch Sporthorses
    www.triplejsporthorse.com
    Member - OMGiH I LOFF my mare(s) clique

Thanks Inca. Tylenol and I will tackle it together!
    If forwards doesn't work, go sideways!

Mine was really tight when I first got it and I almost sent it back.

But I sucked it up for a few weeks and now it fits perfectly. Good luck!

They definitely 'give' after a while. Mine fit when I bought it, and now I think it's a bit looser than I prefer. But I like mine really snug.

Funny ... I didn't notice any change in my AYR8. I'm going to pay extra attention tomorrow.
    ~ In the chaos of the showing, remember riding should be fun for all, including our 4-legged kids.

Both of the GR8s I've had were also snug at first in the correct size. Not headache-inducing, but I couldn't tuck my hair up for a while (I have relatively fine hair which doesn't generally alter helmet fit). Eventually, the lining compressed and they fit perfectly... perfectly enough that even when my horse spooked and knocked me down, my unbuckled helmet with hair tucked up did not budge from my head (I hit the ground hard enough to warrant replacing my helmet).
    Founder, Higher Standards Leather Care Addicts Anonymous
    Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

I agree, my AYR8 (that I bought a size bigger than I normally wear) was a bit too tight at first but now is almost too loose.

Agree with them giving. Mine fit well when I bought it - almost a little too tight and now it is a bit too loose.
    Equestrian At Hart - My Blog - adventures of a big opinionated BWP

My AYR8 was quite tight when I bought it over a year ago. I found the padding has since compressed and it is just borderline tight enough now. I'm not sure how much it will help to wear it around the house but once you have a good ride or two and sweat in it a little it will likely loosen up!

On a related note, does anyone know of any kind of additional padding you can buy to make your somewhat loose Charles Owen fit well again? I can hardly wear my black AYR8 any more because it will slip down and impair my vision.
    Triple J Ranch Sporthorses
    www.triplejsporthorse.com
    Member - OMGiH I LOFF my mare(s) clique

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

Quote Originally Posted by inca View Post
    On a related note, does anyone know of any kind of additional padding you can buy to make your somewhat loose Charles Owen fit well again? I can hardly wear my black AYR8 any more because it will slip down and impair my vision.
    Most cycling shops sell padding specifically for this purpose (albeit for cycling helmets.)
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

Quote Originally Posted by inca View Post
    Someone started a thread on this recently, and several people posted links to pads made specifically for riding helmets, including, I think, one by Charles Owen. Try doing a forum search.

P.S. Found it:

http://greenhawk.com/wdItemDesc.asp?...ricSKU=DRD1092
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

Mine is a little looser now, I actually didn't think about it until I saw this thread, but my hair is longer than when I bought my helmet and even though it fit perfectly then (with slightly shorter hair) it fits perfectly now (and I have slightly longer hair). I don't know if you will get an entire size out of it, but it will definitely loosen up as the padding compresses. The key is to get nice and sweaty in it- think a stirrupless ride when it is 80 degrees out. Good luck!