The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by ParadoxFarm View Post
    Well, maybe it is just regional to middle Tennessee. I was just posting what was said when I lived up north, where I lived, as opposed to how they say it in my part of the south, right now. Trust me, I am not making this up. But I have to remind myself to try to use the local pronunciation.

Oh, and Santa FEE, is the town in TN. That is how they pronounce Santa Fe, TN. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_Fe,_Tennessee
    Right, but if you went to the New Mexico Santa Fe, you'd get laughed at. I don't think one-location regional pronunciations count as dialect, e.g, even though Amarillo, Texas, is pronounced Am-UH-rillo, I still say the color yellow as "am-a-ree-yo".

Quote Originally Posted by Tha Ridge View Post
    Right, but if you went to the New Mexico Santa Fe, you'd get laughed at. I don't think one-location regional pronunciations count as dialect, e.g, even though Amarillo, Texas, is pronounced Am-UH-rillo, I still say the color yellow as "am-a-ree-yo".
    I agree. I was just meaning to say that people pronounce words differently. Not that one way is right and one is wrong. But it is easy to see why some say Amerigo incorrectly. . That's all I meant.
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

Be a Cholmondeley. An entire life of butchered pronounciations.
    EDDIE WOULD GO

1 members found this post helpful.

Would it bother me? Most days no, some days yes and on those days I would self medicate with an extra glass of wine.
    I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

7 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by doublesstable View Post
    My husband has Porsche's and he has had enough of them IMHO to say Porsh - - but there are die hard Porsche guys that will correct others that say Porsh with "it's PORSHE-A. They seem rude to me... but whatever.

Same with anemone.. some say anem-o-nee and some say anen-a-me.

I would expect a sales person to say it correctly but agree with others that I wouldn't correct them and it wouldn't bother me sale wise.

BTW - I pronounce it Porsch-a....
    You're right...........it's named after the family and there's articles straight from their mouths.......Porsch-a

On the saddle front......I say the damn name different every time! Who really cares how they pronounce it, if it fits and it's a good price buy it!! hahahaha
    Go Ahead: This is a dare, not permission. Don't Do It!

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    Yabbut, wouldn't it bum you out if someone continually mispronounced your name and when given the correct pronunciation, got all up in your grill and instead "took ownership" of your name by insisting that they got to say it their way?
    Someone's name is different than a product name. If I was introduced to Ah-mah-REE-go, I'd do my best to call them that. However, if Ah-mah-REE-go sent me an email, I would read it as A-mare-i-go and would probably say it that way until I actually met the person.

Just like when Joseph send me an email that says "Sincerely, Joseph." I respond with Joseph. I leave Joseph voicemail messages. But then Joseph calls me and says "hi, this is Joe." G'ah! I will actually ask this person what he goes by because he seems confused and I want to be respectful. (turns out this person goes by either/or).

A product name? I don't really care as much. I will say it as I think it's pronounced until otherwise told. and then I would probably think "Are they right or was I right?" and wouldn't trust them until I heard it straight from the company's mouth.

Geez. It's not that hard.
    There is a difference between "Not that hard" and "rude" which is where I took exception.

And another thing! Making some attempt to get another language's term right reminds everyone that the speaker's native tongue and culture ain't the only game in town.
    Just because I pronounce something the way my language would indicate it was pronounced, doesn't make me culturally insensitive. If I insisted that my pronunciation was RIGHT!!!! and theirs was WRONG!!!!, that would make me culturally insensitive.

If Italians invented a saddle nice enough for you to want to ride in, why not give them credit?
    They didn't. I do, however, try to say the name of my French saddle correctly...but I don't correct people who do not.
    Keith: "Now...let's do something normal fathers and daughters do."
    Veronica: "Buy me a pony?"

It wouldn't bother me, but I am having fun with all these regional pronunciations. If you ever come to Massachusetts, have fun if you go to Billerica (which in spite of how it looks is only pronounced with 3 syllables like Bill-Rick-A) or Haverhill (pronounced HAYvril). Apparently we took some lessons from the British in our town/ city names.

When I did an exchange program and lived with a French family, I remember they got a huge kick out of the state Massachusetts, because to them it sounded like Massa Chausettes. Chausettes is French for socks. They thought that was a good giggle. They did often try to tell me that my english pronunciation of the words Apple and Pineapple were incorrect, insisting that they have a long A sound, not short A. Then they determined it must be my 'mercan accent, versus proper British English . Whatever, live and let live I say.

I also work in a technical field with many people whose native language is not English, but are often very good English speakers. India has a long history of speaking and teaching in English, to the point where sometimes I think of Indian English like American English, where they have words they've adopted as their own that aren't "correct" to an American, but they're so common they're accepted. One example I always enjoy is prepone, as in to make something earlier. I love that one and think it makes perfect sense.

Shoot, I was a northerner who moved south.

Shelbyville
    North: Shelby-ville
    South: SHEB-v'l (Can't even type that one! Maybe more like SHEB-vul)
    Quote Originally Posted by lrp1106 View Post
    I live in the South, and I certainly do not say any of those words that way, and I have NEVER heard any one say Santa Fe that way. And I've lived in the South all my life except for my time in California.
    Really? How to you say Louisville? Being from California, I would say "Louis - vil". Or maybe "loui - vil" if I was trying.. but NO! I have a friend that lives out here... born and raised in Louisville, and learned it is pronounced "Loul-Vul"

Say it Like a Local - Louisville

Sounds like Paradox Farm has heard the same type or pronunciation for Shelbyville.

Quote Originally Posted by rugbygirl View Post
    Another point, more relevant to this conversation, is that when pronouncing words from another language...honestly, there usually isn't a single "right way" on that either.

I speak French, fluently, and about half my teachers were French Canadian, and the other half gained fluency in Europe. Sometimes France, but more often Belgium or Switzerland. They do not agree on pronunciation, inflection, or vocabulary. You're better off saying a French word the way you think it's supposed to sound. However you choose to pronounce it, you're immediately communicating that you're either not a native speaker, or that your French was learned in a particular region.

What's really ludicrous is hearing someone who doesn't speak French at all try and correct someone else on THEIR pronunciation of a French word. So unless you're fluent in Italian, you probably shouldn't assume that you're getting Amerigo exactly right. It's a bit presumptuous to correct anyone on pronunciation of a language you don't actually speak.

^^^^^^^ THIS x10
    *^*^*^
    Himmlische Traumpferde
    "Wenn Du denkst es geht nicht mehr, kommt von irgendwo ein kleines Licht daher"

3 members found this post helpful.

Oh, and Santa FEE, is the town in TN. That is how they pronounce Santa Fe, TN. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_Fe,_Tennessee
    Quote Originally Posted by Tha Ridge View Post
    I think it has to do with if the “locals” are familiar with, and if they want to use the Spanish pronunciation of the Spanish words / names.

Santa Fe in the in New Mexico is Santa Fae – because in Spanish a single e makes an “A” sound. If it were an English word it would be pronounced Santa Fee.

In California we have a small town named Salida. If you used the Spanish pronunciation (it IS a Spanish name) it would be pronounced Sal-e-da (single i in Spanish makes an “e” sound). BUT this town insists that it is named Sal – “I”- da. It’s almost a poke at, and a refusal to recognize the Spanish origin of the name.

Same goes for Santa Fee and Am-uhril -lo (with the L's pronounced instead of the "ee" sound of a double LL - which I have heard!)

Quote Originally Posted by muffintop View Post
    So we are on the search for a higher end used saddle (any suggestions would be great by the way). So in our search we've talked to alot of saddle sellers (businesses) on the phone. One of the brands we're researching are Amerigos. We pronounce it AM-ER-Long E GO. This one place we've been communicating with pronounces it Ameri go (like America but Ameri go). I've aways thought it was pronounced the way i say it and when i hear them saying it the other way, it makes me think they don't know what they're talking about. My daughter thinks i'm being rude and picky but i have to say, i really do think that if they don't say the word correctly, am i to believe they know what they're talking about? What do you guys think?
    Seriously ... are you really making your decision about a saddle based on the pronounciation of the brand name??? Wow ... just ... wow!

I guess price, expertise, customer service really don't matter in the horse industry.
    ~ In the chaos of the showing, remember riding should be fun for all, including our 4-legged kids.

Louis Vuitton has several pronunciations....arguments still out on some of the "correct" pronunciations. Is the Noe pronounced "NO" or "No-eeeee"?depends on which associate you ask
    Save a life...be an organ donor! Visit www.Transplantbuddies.org

Quote Originally Posted by Appsolute View Post
    Really? How to you say Louisville? Being from California, I would say "Louis - vil". Or maybe "loui - vil" if I was trying.. but NO! I have a friend that lives out here... born and raised in Louisville, and learned it is pronounced "Loul-Vul"

Say it Like a Local - Louisville

Sounds like Paradox Farm has heard the same type or pronunciation for Shelbyville.
    I was always told it was "Lou uh vull", but said very fast. I think it would end up sounding like loulvul. I say New Orleans as "New Or lins" das how us locals say it

There are not enough eye-rolling icons on the internet for this one.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

Quote Originally Posted by doublesstable View Post
    My husband has Porsche's and he has had enough of them IMHO to say Porsh - - but there are die hard Porsche guys that will correct others that say Porsh with "it's PORSHE-A. They seem rude to me... but whatever.

BTW - I pronounce it Porsch-a....
    Because Ferdinand Porsche was German and in German it's Porsh-a because that e is not silent. (No, I don't go around correcting people, but hearing it said wrong makes me twitch.)

Is it Ralph Laur-En or LauWren? ErrMez or HerMays?

^ Ralph LAW-ren, according to Carson Kressley, who used to work for him.

I still miss that show Queer Eye for the Straight Guy. That was a fun one. The Ralph Lauren question came up when they helped an extremely cute but clueless guy get ready to propose to his girlfriend, and they went to Ralph Lauren for a tuxedo. One of my very favorite episodes.

The Hermes question was settled on the BB a few years ago, but now I don't remember which way it went. Somebody posted a phone number for the Hermes shop in New York City, which went to an automated system that started out with, "Thank you for calling Hermes."

I'm surprised we didn't blow out their phone line.

Quote Originally Posted by gottagrey View Post
    Is it Ralph Laur-En or LauWren? ErrMez or HerMays?
    I say "ehr-mez" when I'm talking fashion, and "her-mees" when I'm talking horses.