Thanks everybody for the kind words, I know breeders understand how excruciatingly horrible this kind of event really is.
I went to see the mare at the clinic yesterday, she is holding her own.
She is, of course, on fluids, pain meds, electrolytes, etc. She was reasonably bright, still dripping/streaming milk. Placenta had been expelled the morning after surgery with the help of an Oxytocin drip. She was not eating the mashes offered by the clinic so I brought the stuff I feed at home and offered her a handful which she immediately gobbled down and asked for more ! What a diva !
I am hoping she continues to improve, there still is a long road ahead for both of us.
Thanks again for all the wishes.
Well, my mare is at Day 355, as of today. Don't think even the full moon tonight is going to make her go. Not much udder, a tiny white drop on each teat, but very relaxed in the back end. Let's get this over with!!!!!
So sorry to come back to this thread and see this. Continued good thoughts for recovery. I do, however have some good news. Day 365 finally got us a filly. By Mirabeau, out of a minimal sabino chestnut TB mare, so the baby is a palomino, has a big blaze, and I think four white ankles. Will know better when she gets outside tomorrow.
'You'll miss the best things if you keep your eyes closed.'.....Dr. Suess.
Elfe, I remain hopeful for your pretty mare and I feel a little encouraged to see her standing and holding on her own. Again, sending many jingles for a long road to complete recovery. I have my fingers and toes crossed for you.
Oh, I am so sorry. How heartbreaking. I had my first ever litter of puppies last night, from a rescue i just got wednesday. I do NOT have the fortitude for breeding of any kind. I know horses but not dogs and I was worried sick.
I will be thinking of you and your mare and I pray you have a good result.
Vv had been fairly stable but when they took her off IV fluids she started not being "really" into eating any longer. Turns out her creatinine was up above normal level, so they tubed her with fluids and she is still in the hospital.
Also staph was cultured from a uterine lavage and from discharge from the abdominal incision. She is getting antibiotics for that.
We will re-evaluate on Monday.
Thanks for all the wishes.