The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Elfe is offline Working Hunter Premium Member
    Original Poster

Default Home at Last !

She was finally released from the clinic last Tuesday, after a few more complications: creatinine rising after getting off fluids, catheter having to be removed because veins getting inflamed, mild colic Monday morning, discharge from incision, etc.
    I rode home with her in the van, she seemed depressed and anxious, still has a mild neurological defect on her LH.
    After getting home she has been improving, albeit slowly. She is being fed small mashes four times a day, hand grazed two or three times a day, her dressing has to be changed every day. She is on antibiotics and Gastro Guard.
    Her attitude has improved, she is interested in her food and will come to the window for carrots.
    Hopefully this trend will continue.
    Thanks everybody for the jingles and words of encouragement.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0273.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	11.6 KB 
ID:	38200   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0275.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	13.8 KB 
ID:	38201   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0279.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	20.8 KB 
ID:	38202   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0302.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	21.5 KB 
ID:	38203  

Jingles for your mare!! it has been a tough year for some of us so i can completely related. She looks good in the pictures you took

Maybe it is also the year of overly large foals. My little filly weighed in at 145lbs...biggest foal I have ever had.

What are you using for the belly band? Is it staying in place? My mare will hopefully come home in a week or so and will also be wearing one of those. I am worried that it will constantly be slipping back even with the chest strap.

I wish your mare a COMPLETE recovery and a return to her (and your) normal life!!!
    Read about my time at the Hannoveraner Verband Breeders Courses:
    http://blumefarm.com/hannoveranercourse2011.html
    http://blumefarm.com/hannoveranercourse2012.html

I just saw this thread. So sorry for your loss and huge jingles for your mare

Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Blume Farm View Post
    Jingles for your mare!! it has been a tough year for some of us so i can completely related. She looks good in the pictures you took

Maybe it is also the year of overly large foals. My little filly weighed in at 145lbs...biggest foal I have ever had.

What are you using for the belly band? Is it staying in place? My mare will hopefully come home in a week or so and will also be wearing one of those. I am worried that it will constantly be slipping back even with the chest strap.

I wish your mare a COMPLETE recovery and a return to her (and your) normal life!!!
    Thanks !
    She came home with the belly band, on loan from the clinic. Presumably it controls edema. Two years ago, when she colicked after delivering her first foal, she did not have to have it, but she did not have any discharge either.
    I have to take it off daily, clean the incision with Novolsan, put heavy padding against the incision and then put the band back on. It's pretty cumbersome for one person to do and yes, the darn thing moves backwards and then puts pressure on the breast plate, which makes her uncomfortable.
    I wish you all the best with your mare, having been through this once before, I know it's a long road ahead.
    Good luck !

Elfe, can I ask you a few questions? When your mare has surgery last time how long did you do stall rest? Then how long in small paddock?

I am sure I will get complete directions from the vet school, but reading online there seems to be differing opinions on recovery protocols. Some places recommend 30 days stall rest, then 30 days small paddock, then 30 days later allowed into pasture. Other places do 60 days stall rest, then 30 days paddock and then finally allowed into pasture. Being the impatient planner that I am, and not wanting to bother the vet school doctor too much, I haven't asked them yet their preferred protocol. Also, did you bed the stall in shavings? I am thinking the huge flaked shavings might be the cleanest thing to use. Any advice? Any things you wish you did differently?

Again, jingles to you and your mare. If I am being too invasive just ignore me!!
    Read about my time at the Hannoveraner Verband Breeders Courses:
    http://blumefarm.com/hannoveranercourse2011.html
    http://blumefarm.com/hannoveranercourse2012.html

Wow - I missed this whole thread! I'm so sorry for what you have been through and the loss of your foal! How heartbreaking. Huge jingles for your mare!

Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Blume Farm View Post
    Elfe, can I ask you a few questions? When your mare has surgery last time how long did you do stall rest? Then how long in small paddock?

I am sure I will get complete directions from the vet school, but reading online there seems to be differing opinions on recovery protocols. Some places recommend 30 days stall rest, then 30 days small paddock, then 30 days later allowed into pasture. Other places do 60 days stall rest, then 30 days paddock and then finally allowed into pasture. Being the impatient planner that I am, and not wanting to bother the vet school doctor too much, I haven't asked them yet their preferred protocol. Also, did you bed the stall in shavings? I am thinking the huge flaked shavings might be the cleanest thing to use. Any advice? Any things you wish you did differently?

Again, jingles to you and your mare. If I am being too invasive just ignore me!!
    Hi, I will look for the discharge instructions, but the way I remember it was 30 days in a stall (12x20) with twice a day hand walking. I did it in a fenced area so baby could romp free. Here is some video from back in 2011:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2N9sKPYYlM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEDffFcWcN0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1zKN37VzPo

After 30 days she was allowed in a very small turn out area, I think it was about 20'x40'.

I can't remember how long after that it was back to normal life, I will look for the instructions.
    Good luck !

Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by ticofuzzy View Post
    Wow - I missed this whole thread! I'm so sorry for what you have been through and the loss of your foal! How heartbreaking. Huge jingles for your mare!
    Thank you.