The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Oh Elfe...may she foal soon.
    My mare did the same thing...lay down the most the night *before* she foaled.
    Yes she is waitng till you drop from lack of sleep....hang in there...has to come out sometime. <smile>
    Martha
    Breeder of Quality and Colour
    Tobiano Pinto Sporthorses
    www.jmrpintos.com

Elfe is offline Working Hunter Premium Member
    Original Poster

Default Day 340-Slow Torture

I watched her until 3.30 AM, my SO was going to go down to the barn at 5.00 AM. So he calls me at 5.00 AM relating that the mare seemed to have bumps that were itching since she was rubbing against everything in sight.
    I headed down there and what I found you can see in the first three pictures.
    Put in a call to the on call vet of the local equine clinic, who incidentally is also the one who inseminated the mare with the frozen semen.
    Anyway, she told me to give her 7 pills of Hydroxy-whatever Pamoate, which I happened to have because I have a two year old with allergies.
    So she got the capsules and then I hosed her off with cool water for about an hour and then put a fan on her to get her dry without heat. She seemed to like the procedure and became relaxed.
    She slowly got better , the last two pictures show what she looked like after being hosed. I left the barn at 7.30 AM and the hives have slowly decreased, although almost 24 hours later she still is lumpy in places.
    She is back to her SOP, i.e. eat and sleep ! Grrr !!!!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0203.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	18.5 KB 
ID:	38063   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0204.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	17.8 KB 
ID:	38064   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0206.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	16.5 KB 
ID:	38065   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0215.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	14.8 KB 
ID:	38067   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0216.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	13.5 KB 
ID:	38068  

Oh no, what a nerve wreaking it is to have everything going on at once. Gee, I hope everything pass soon without any further hives incident. Best of luck and I am wishing you for an uneventful foaling. Just be patient and time will pass before you know...hopefully for a successful outcome at the end. Hang in there!

So is anyone else's mare going up and down on the milk tests?? I swear I'm going to pull my hair out! I've never had this happen before. I have both Chemetrics and the spa strips and they are both up and down. At 320 something days she had a solid read of 65 (bright blue) on chemtrics, 7.2 pH and 250 ca on spa strips. flash forward a few days of stalled at those readings and she is no longer reading on the Chemetrics (as in blue at the top of the tube) and her spa strips also dropped to readings showing no where close. She has inched back to normal readings, but we are still fluctuating a little (shows up mostly on Chemetrics). Day before yesterday she was back to a solid 60 almost to 65. Last night she is at a 55. spa strips last night was pH 7.2 almost a 7.8 in fact, her ca was 250. This am I did the spa strips, her pH was a 6.8, her ca is still at 250.

Yes, I'm doing the tests correctly - I've been using these same tests (brands/types obviously not the same kits lol) for the past several years. I've never been so all over the board.

Physically she looks like she is on go but could use a bigger udder IMO. Her milk is also still too yellow, but has white streaks through it and is VERY sticky.

Maidens.....
    Emerald Acres standing the ATA Approved Stallion, Tatendrang. Visit us at our Facebook Farm Page as well!

My mare JR is on day 351, no change in milk test, no calcuim in the milk as of last night. Her foal 3 years ago was born on day 351, but at 11:35 pm, nearly into day 352. Hope it is soon!
    http://www.herselffarm.com
    Proud of my Hunter Breeding Princesses
    "Grief is the price we all pay for love," Gretchen Jackson (1/29/07) In Memory of Barbaro

My maiden mare also looked more ready a week ago, and has now backed off again. Last weekend (full moon) her udder was HUGE, and staying quite large throughout the day. Her pH dropped from 8.4 to 7.8, calcium 150ppm and I thought she was making progress (belly was dropping).

On Friday, she gave me quite a scare, acting colicky, rolling, sweating, anxious, clearly distressed. I couldn't get ahold of a vet quickly, but after walking her for ten minutes the pain passed and she was fine...I guess the foal was just in an uncomfortable position squishing her somewhere. Since Saturday, pH is back to 8.4, calcium 75ppm. Udder goes down noticeably during the day. She fills back up overnight, but not bursting tight. Eating normally, drinking well, sleeping laying down in short periods as usual.

She's at 334 days today. She started developing a bag and slight croup muscle changes at 285, but didn't start getting significant until 320. She's not close to "V" belly yet, and I'm betting she'll hold on for another two weeks just because she's a mare, and she can.
    “A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it.”
    ? Albert Einstein

~AJ~

Original Poster

340 and dripping milk. Had to extract some, now in my freezer. She did not object, must have felt good to relieve the pressure.
    Her MO totally different than last time, so much for the theory that mares tend to do the same every time ! She was a maiden last time and I had no trouble at all figuring out when she was going to do it ! I guess she is making up for that, this time !
    Oy vey !

Elfe...how is your mare??...and of course your state of sleeplessness?<smile>
    Hope she foaled or is at least getting with the program!
    My 2nd mare tried to sneak one in on me this morning....338 days ...not a full udder.
    Turned her out on grass...but later I noticed her hiding out at the back of the field...NOT like her...by the time I brought her up to the barn to the foaling stall she was ready to go. Really nice black Freestyle colt. So much for mares wanting quiet...
    Neighbour teddering his hay next field over...truck delivering feed, dogs barking ...ack.
    Mare just laid down and delivered a lovely health foal.
    Hope yours is as easy!
    Martha
    www.jmrpintos.com

Original Poster

Default R.I.P. Beautiful Big Boy

After three nights of looking about to go into labor then breaking out in horrible hives and stalling the process, my mare broke her water last night and it was immediately obvious there was a problem as only head and right leg were presented.
    Two vets came from the equine clinic and after hoisting her rear end an trying for two hours to re-position, we hauled to the clinic, where they tried again to no avail. Foal was still alive when we left the farm but non responsive when we got to the clinic. Ultimately she was taken to surgery for a C section but even then they had real trouble getting the colt out, three people pulling out by the hind legs while the surgeon was holding on to the uterus. Mare is now in ICU, we are hoping she makes it, but has many hurdles ahead of her.
    The colt was huge, 150 pounds, his left front leg was folded back at the knee and the tendons had contracted and frozen knee and shoulder into place. There was no way he could have come out.
    I am attaching some pictures, I am hoping nobody is offended. It's just that some people new to breeding sometimes don't seem to understand all that goes into this endeavor.
    Pinto Power: congratulations on your Freestyle colt, I have two fillies by Freestyle and they are absolutely stunning.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0228.jpg 
Views:	228 
Size:	15.2 KB 
ID:	38124   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0233.jpg 
Views:	249 
Size:	18.4 KB 
ID:	38125   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0234.jpg 
Views:	261 
Size:	17.3 KB 
ID:	38126  

Oh Elfe, how awful for you... I had been following this thread, hoping for a good outcome--I am so terribly sorry.

It seems that you are not alone this year, all the more tragic. Jingles for your mare!, and sympathy for this heartbreaking outcome.
    "Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies."

"It's supposed to be hard...the hard is what makes it great!" (Jimmy Dugan, "A League of Their Own")

I am so sorry for your loss. Breeding really stinks sometimes. Many prayers for your mare. Please let us know how she is doing. You are in my thoughts and prayers.
    www.Somermistfarm.com
    Hunter Ponies & Quality GSDs
    www.UnleashedK9.net

I am sorry for your loss and am sending massive good wishes for the recovery of your beloved mare.

How tragic. My heart goes out to you!! Sending massive jingles for your mare.
    If there are no pets in Heaven then I want to go where they went !!!
    RIP Maybe June 13, 1993-Sept. 23, 2006,Dexter March 11, 1983-Sept. 23, 2009, Joey 1997?- June 21, 2012
    www.equistarfarm.com

I am so sorry. RIP little one. Jingling for your mare.

That could have so easily been me my last two foalings. I am so sorry for your loss, you definitely fought the good fight. Jingles for your mare.

I'm so sorry. Huge jingles for your mare.
    Arrange whatever pieces come your way. - Virginia Woolf

Did you know that if you say the word "GULLIBLE" really softly, it sounds like "ORANGES"?

I'm so, so sorry!!! Best wishes for your mare's recovery!!!
    Family Partners Welsh Ponies - Home of Section B Welsh stallion *Wedderlie Mardi Gras LOM/AOE http://www.welshponies.com
    Click here to buy: A Guide To In Hand Showing of Your Welsh Pony

Oh Elfe...I am so very sad for you.
    I had a foal present with a front leg folded back a few year ago...but we got lucky and my Vet went in vaginally got him out. None of the issues you faced tho.
    Breeding is pretty scary...and buyers just don't realize the challanges of getting a healthy live foal on the ground.
    May your mare recover.
    Get some sleep, you must be totally exhausted.
    Martha
    www.jmrpintos.com

:-( I am soo sorry for your loss!

Elfe, no words will be adequate to say how very sorry I am for what you and your mare have endured. I will be jingling for her full recovery. I wish you the peace of mind of knowing that you and others did all that could be done in this terrible situation.