The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 46
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Apr. 26, 2013
    Posts
    4

    Default

    Please send me photos! Thanks Corinne...nolimitfarm@gmail.com.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Apr. 26, 2013
    Posts
    4



  3. #23
    Join Date
    Apr. 26, 2013
    Posts
    4



  4. #24
    Join Date
    Mar. 11, 2009
    Posts
    323

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tuckawayfarm View Post
    Tradewind,

    Our mare is Quick Star/ Alme and from a Hanoverian damline. Copilot's more modern mare is from a TB damline. I really think he crosses best with some blood. FWIW, we bred our mare to a half TB and got a beautiful modern colt. We were so pleased we repeated for 2013.

    I can't wait to see pics of his A Fine Romance crosses!
    Hey Tuckaway, we have a Quick Star with Hanoverian damline, too. Just curious, who is your mare's dam and damsire? We have ours (a maiden) in foal to Liocalyon for 2013 foal due in early June. She is the spitting image of Quick Star, but we thought she could use some blood in her foal's pedigree. Do you have any pictures of your Quick Star daughters offspring you could post? Thanks!



  5. #25
    Join Date
    Nov. 30, 2005
    Location
    Northfield MN
    Posts
    973

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by knowthatifly View Post
    Hey Tuckaway, we have a Quick Star with Hanoverian damline, too. Just curious, who is your mare's dam and damsire? We have ours (a maiden) in foal to Liocalyon for 2013 foal due in early June. She is the spitting image of Quick Star, but we thought she could use some blood in her foal's pedigree. Do you have any pictures of your Quick Star daughters offspring you could post? Thanks!
    Sorry, I was referring to the damline and didn't mean to confuse. Our Capone mare is out of a Quick Star/ Alme mare, but we didn't breed her. She was purchased as a three year old near Calgary. Her dam, Qualibre Z, was owned by Foxdale Farm. Our mare looks very much like the other Capone babies posted her (uncanny how he stamps them), except there is nothing modern about her.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Mar. 6, 2005
    Location
    S. Carolina
    Posts
    568

    Default

    I saw Capone at his initial approval with BWP many years ago, and thought he was spectacular. He was young and inexperienced at the time, but you could see he was supremely talented. Nice mover, fantastic jumper, and really well put together!!


    1 members found this post helpful.

  7. #27

    Default Stud fee is what...?

    $2500?!


    1 members found this post helpful.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Aug. 19, 2010
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Posts
    365

    Default

    Yes, his stud fee is high. This seems to be the going rate for show jumping stallions competing at this level; he did the Olympic qualifiers, so in my mind he is up there with Flexible (who is also $2500 and seems to be getting plenty of interest for breeding!) as far as exciting jumping stallions currently in the international ring go. He's still sound and competing in the big ring at 17, which says a lot to me about durability. According to Corrine, his semen is fantastic. We are fortunate to have a jumping stallion of this caliber in North America who is available FRESH (Flexible, IIRC, is only available frozen), which makes him a lot more appealing and accessible for many breeders. It's amazing that he can compete heavily and also breed, which is testament to the accommodating nature of his owner, and also his fabulous temperament (apparently he can literally be collected anywhere, including at a show on the day of a big class! I doubt there are many stallions that are so well tempered and good at their jobs ) I hope to breed him to my Rocadero mare in the coming years!



  9. #29

    Default

    I haven't seen any competing (winning) offspring or offspring scores. Capone isn't on the wbfsh rankings either. Flexible did a heck of a lot more than the Olympic qualifiers just FYI.


    2 members found this post helpful.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Jan. 2, 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    2,189

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JumperFyre View Post
    I haven't seen any competing (winning) offspring or offspring scores. Capone isn't on the wbfsh rankings either.
    probably because he spent many years being "collected". And not for breeding.

    It's amazing that he can compete heavily and also breed, which is testament to the accommodating nature of his owner, and also his fabulous temperament (apparently he can literally be collected anywhere, including at a show on the day of a big class! I doubt there are many stallions that are so well tempered and good at their jobs
    )


    5 members found this post helpful.

  11. #31
    Join Date
    Mar. 11, 2009
    Posts
    323

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by *Tradewind* View Post
    Yes, his stud fee is high. This seems to be the going rate for show jumping stallions competing at this level; he did the Olympic qualifiers, so in my mind he is up there with Flexible (who is also $2500 and seems to be getting plenty of interest for breeding!) as far as exciting jumping stallions currently in the international ring go. He's still sound and competing in the big ring at 17, which says a lot to me about durability. According to Corrine, his semen is fantastic. We are fortunate to have a jumping stallion of this caliber in North America who is available FRESH (Flexible, IIRC, is only available frozen), which makes him a lot more appealing and accessible for many breeders. It's amazing that he can compete heavily and also breed, which is testament to the accommodating nature of his owner, and also his fabulous temperament (apparently he can literally be collected anywhere, including at a show on the day of a big class! I doubt there are many stallions that are so well tempered and good at their jobs ) I hope to breed him to my Rocadero mare in the coming years!
    Not really a fair comparison as Flexible's post-thaw motility is around 55% and he comes with a LFG on his frozen. He has exceptionally good frozen semen and the stallion manager is very experienced and easy to work with. Both our young, maiden and our 12 yr old multiparous mare caught on first try. Can't speak to Capone's semen quality yet although we are considering him for our Cruising mare, but we know from experience that Flexi is super stud!


    2 members found this post helpful.

  12. #32
    Join Date
    Aug. 19, 2010
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Posts
    365

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by knowthatifly View Post
    Not really a fair comparison as Flexible's post-thaw motility is around 55% and he comes with a LFG on his frozen. He has exceptionally good frozen semen and the stallion manager is very experienced and easy to work with. Both our young, maiden and our 12 yr old multiparous mare caught on first try. Can't speak to Capone's semen quality yet although we are considering him for our Cruising mare, but we know from experience that Flexi is super stud!
    I'm not trying to pick on Flexible; rather, the opposite: I'm a big fan and I'm trying to use him as a relevant comparison because both are high quality stallions with higher than average stud fees. I was not suggesting Flexible did not have good semen and I know there are breeders who prefer to use frozen, but for many others the cost of breeding with frozen is prohibitive. I, for one, have yet to find a good repro vet to use frozen with and our local vets have quoted us exorbitant fees for breeding with frozen. For this reason, I think it's exciting that a stallion like Capone is available in North America.

    Also, while Capone may not have a huge number of offspring on the ground due to competition and the unfortunate circumstances he was in with his previous owner, he does have a number of babies under saddle and a few, I'm told, are starting to compete in the higher level jumpers. As far as I know, this is not true of Flexible's offspring (due to his competition schedule). Perhaps someone can correct me if I'm wrong, if there are currently offspring of Flexible competing in the jumper ring?

    I feel the need to state that I am in no way affiliated with Capone, I just met him and his owner a few weeks ago and am really intrigued by this stallion.



  13. #33
    Join Date
    Jun. 14, 2012
    Location
    california
    Posts
    307

    Default

    our 19 day old capone filly found a pile of poles in the arena and started practicing her rollbacks. naturally, she stopped running around jumping when a camera was produced -dang!

    the usef has quite a few capone offspring registered and I've seen quite a few canadian videos of offspring competing. I'm glad we have a stallion of his calibre to use and I appreciate the showground midweek collections too.

    I didn't go thru all the Elite BWP stallions prior to posting my boasting to compare the fees but I do recall Rolando's fee was $5,000 in one of the BWP books a number of years ago.



  14. #34
    Join Date
    Aug. 5, 2003
    Posts
    909

    Default

    names please. Any youtube links please.



  15. #35
    Join Date
    Jun. 14, 2012
    Location
    california
    Posts
    307

    Cool USEF names and youtube videos

    Quote Originally Posted by Dinah-do View Post
    names please. Any youtube links please.
    The USEF webpage will produce a long list of Capone offspring if you use the "horse recording" search and only type in the sire box "capone" . here's my result which you may not be able to access, in which case go to the USEF and type in capone as instructed.

    http://www.usef.org/_IFrames/Searche...ngResults.aspx

    for videos, go to youtube, type in Capone horse and many videos will come up.

    you could spend all day doing these searches...



  16. #36
    Join Date
    Jun. 14, 2012
    Location
    california
    Posts
    307

    Default

    oh, and Tom Reed's article from Horse Sport International, listed Capone as one of the 10 stallions he wished he'd owned. It's a bit out of date now, but here's what Tom had to say:

    "CAPONE I

    Capone I is a beautifully-bred Holsteiner stallion that has proven himself to be a top-class showjumper under US rider Kyle King. In 2011 Capone had excellent results in international sport by winning at Spruce Meadows the CN Performance Grand Prix World Cup Qualifier and a second international Grand Prix, placing 4th in a 1.60 m. class, and placing 9th in the Derby. These victories are backed up by results earlier in his career when he was ranked by the FEI among the top 200 showjumpers in the world in both 2006 and 2007 before an ownership dispute, which is now thankfully resolved, led him to be sidelined for several years. The USEF ranks Capone in 2011 as the 108th best sire of showjumpers based on the results of his progeny Castalano. Capone’s success in showjumping verifies the value of his Holsteiner pedigree and specifically his damline, number 890. Capone has a full-brother and a half-brother that also are approved stallions in Germany and, more importantly, another half-brother that is competing successfully in smaller international Grand Prix classes in Europe. And the icing on the cake for me is that Capone’s second dam, Maltia, is also the second dam of the world-class showjumping stallion Casall la Silla. Capone’s damline has produced many other international showjumpers and approved stallions and is precisely the type of damline we look for in a showjumping sire.

    If my mares were in North America I would use Capone I in my showjumping breeding program with a great deal of enthusiasm. I suspect he requires long-lined mares that tend not to produce too small. He should be given every opportunity by North American breeders to prove his genetic value."



  17. #37
    Join Date
    Mar. 11, 2009
    Posts
    323

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by *Tradewind* View Post
    I'm not trying to pick on Flexible; rather, the opposite: I'm a big fan and I'm trying to use him as a relevant comparison because both are high quality stallions with higher than average stud fees. I was not suggesting Flexible did not have good semen and I know there are breeders who prefer to use frozen, but for many others the cost of breeding with frozen is prohibitive. I, for one, have yet to find a good repro vet to use frozen with and our local vets have quoted us exorbitant fees for breeding with frozen. For this reason, I think it's exciting that a stallion like Capone is available in North America.

    Also, while Capone may not have a huge number of offspring on the ground due to competition and the unfortunate circumstances he was in with his previous owner, he does have a number of babies under saddle and a few, I'm told, are starting to compete in the higher level jumpers. As far as I know, this is not true of Flexible's offspring (due to his competition schedule). Perhaps someone can correct me if I'm wrong, if there are currently offspring of Flexible competing in the jumper ring?

    I feel the need to state that I am in no way affiliated with Capone, I just met him and his owner a few weeks ago and am really intrigued by this stallion.
    Yes, there is a daughter in Ireland named Cushions who has won quite a bit in the age group young jumpers (6 and 7 year olds) in Ireland. Flexible has a full sister who has jumped at national level and a half brother (stallion) who jumps at Nations Cup level currently and who is for sale in the low millions. Flexible's dam only had the three offspring, but all three would make any breeder proud. He does not have too many older offspring because his focus was competition as you said and he does have many more offspring under 4 in the pipeline. Given the proven production of international level jumpers of his sire Cruising and his dam Flex, I have little doubt he will carry on the tradition and be quite the jumper producer himself. Capone I is also a great sire to have access to here in USA and we would love to use him with our Cruising mare.
    We have found that if you have good frozen semen and a competent repro vet with frozen, it is actually easier to breed with frozen than with fresh, cooled semen. Just our experience. If you don't have a vet with frozen semen competence, then you are more limited nowadays given the increasing access to frozen semen from stallions around the world. All that said, someday soon 17 year old Flexible will be available fresh, cooled because he will be retired to the good life.



  18. #38
    Join Date
    Aug. 19, 2010
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Posts
    365

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by knowthatifly View Post
    Yes, there is a daughter in Ireland named Cushions who has won quite a bit in the age group young jumpers (6 and 7 year olds) in Ireland. Flexible has a full sister who has jumped at national level and a half brother (stallion) who jumps at Nations Cup level currently and who is for sale in the low millions. Flexible's dam only had the three offspring, but all three would make any breeder proud. He does not have too many older offspring because his focus was competition as you said and he does have many more offspring under 4 in the pipeline. Given the proven production of international level jumpers of his sire Cruising and his dam Flex, I have little doubt he will carry on the tradition and be quite the jumper producer himself. Capone I is also a great sire to have access to here in USA and we would love to use him with our Cruising mare.
    We have found that if you have good frozen semen and a competent repro vet with frozen, it is actually easier to breed with frozen than with fresh, cooled semen. Just our experience. If you don't have a vet with frozen semen competence, then you are more limited nowadays given the increasing access to frozen semen from stallions around the world. All that said, someday soon 17 year old Flexible will be available fresh, cooled because he will be retired to the good life.
    Thank you, knowthatifly, for that information on Flexible, I was not aware that he had offspring in Ireland. Both he and Capone are very exciting stallions and I look forward to seeing their kids move up through the ranks! I am jealous that you have access to a good (presumably reasonably priced?) repro vet; I am hopeful that I will find a better alternative for frozen semen in the future, but for now I am primarily restricted to using fresh semen, which is one reason I am excited to have Capone in North America. I would love to see a foal by him out of your Crusing mare!


    1 members found this post helpful.

  19. #39
    Join Date
    Nov. 28, 2000
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    10,372

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mareslave View Post
    oh, and Tom Reed's article from Horse Sport International, listed Capone as one of the 10 stallions he wished he'd owned. It's a bit out of date now, but here's what Tom had to say:

    "CAPONE I

    Capone I is a beautifully-bred Holsteiner stallion that has proven himself to be a top-class showjumper under US rider Kyle King. In 2011 Capone had excellent results in international sport by winning at Spruce Meadows the CN Performance Grand Prix World Cup Qualifier and a second international Grand Prix, placing 4th in a 1.60 m. class, and placing 9th in the Derby. These victories are backed up by results earlier in his career when he was ranked by the FEI among the top 200 showjumpers in the world in both 2006 and 2007 before an ownership dispute, which is now thankfully resolved, led him to be sidelined for several years. The USEF ranks Capone in 2011 as the 108th best sire of showjumpers based on the results of his progeny Castalano. Capone’s success in showjumping verifies the value of his Holsteiner pedigree and specifically his damline, number 890. Capone has a full-brother and a half-brother that also are approved stallions in Germany and, more importantly, another half-brother that is competing successfully in smaller international Grand Prix classes in Europe. And the icing on the cake for me is that Capone’s second dam, Maltia, is also the second dam of the world-class showjumping stallion Casall la Silla. Capone’s damline has produced many other international showjumpers and approved stallions and is precisely the type of damline we look for in a showjumping sire.

    If my mares were in North America I would use Capone I in my showjumping breeding program with a great deal of enthusiasm. I suspect he requires long-lined mares that tend not to produce too small. He should be given every opportunity by North American breeders to prove his genetic value."
    Tom Reed also included A Fine Romance in his list of '10 Stallions', which was a huge honour.
    The long awaited AFR foal out of a beautiful Capone mare was born last Saturday - a COLT!!!
    A FINE ROMANCE - JC Reg Thoroughbred - GOLD Premium CSHA - ISR/OLDNA Approved
    CSHA Brickenden Stallion Award Winner - for Performance offspring.
    Please visit A Fine Romance on FB!


    4 members found this post helpful.

  20. #40
    Join Date
    Mar. 11, 2009
    Posts
    488

    Default

    Can anyone point me in the direction of videos from Capone offspring jumping free or under tack? I tried YouTube, but I have t had much success.



Similar Threads

  1. CAPONE I **NEWSFLASH**
    By dbaygirl in forum Sport Horse Breeding
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: Jul. 2, 2011, 10:06 AM
  2. Capone the Comeback Kid
    By ptownevt in forum Hunter/Jumper
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: Feb. 20, 2011, 03:50 AM
  3. Yet more drama for Capone
    By Rival in forum Sport Horse Breeding
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: May. 21, 2008, 01:20 PM
  4. Anyone know where Capone is?
    By Foxdale Farm in forum Sport Horse Breeding
    Replies: 86
    Last Post: Feb. 20, 2008, 05:14 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •