The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Dressage Stallion for Cor Noir mare- Pictures Added!

One more Stallion advice thread...

Not my horse, just posting on behalf of the owner.

16.2, 7 year old dark bay Holsteiner mare by Cor Noir out of a Thoroughbred mare, already approved for breeding with AHHA as far as I am told. Has already had 2 foals, beautiful hunter types but they were by hunter stallions. Mare herself has more dressage type movement then hunter, HUGE upright canter, and much more springy knee action then the hunter people would like

New owner purchased her 5 months ago and started her under saddle himself, she is so easy going and nice!

Owner is a professional that can handle a hot ride, so he does not mind a pro ride type stallion. He wants the baby for himself. I showed him a bunch of stallion videos for fun on YouTube while at the barn today, and he likes the looks/type of Jazz, Netto, UB40, Bretton Woods, Don Principe, and Wynton. Those are just what he likes out of what I showed him, so it seems he likes a modern, leggy stallion.

Netto is his FAVORITE, but I do not see anywhere that his frozen is available in the states.

I know nothing about Holsteiner's, so I told him I would come to you all to see if you knew what type/line of dressage stallion crosses well on a Cor Noir mare. Please advise if any of the above mentioned stallions should be considered, and feel free to add additional stallions that are known to cross well to the list!

He said he would be happy with an exact replica of his mare, only real improvement he wants is her head She has a bit of a roman nose, and wants the foal to have a more petite head

I have 2 pictures of her I can get a friend to post if needed.

Thanks all!!
    Last edited by SamWerner; Apr. 23, 2013 at 09:19 PM.
    Samantha Werner

There is something about riding down the street on a prancing horse that makes you feel like something, even when you ain't a thing. ~ Will Rogers

Hi Samantha,

If you could post the photos that would help
    What is the goal for the offspring? going up the levels, YH, or top FEI?

I can only speak for Don Principe offspring out of Contender dam(same sire line as Cor Noir). I have had two and there are a few more out there. They were multi talented horses that were uphill, bold and wanting to work. They could easily do eventing because of the talent for jumping and the fearless outlook on life. They also had top quality gaits with the walk and canter being highlights.
    Temperments are outstanding even though they are sensitive, they are sensible. Hilltop Famr has a free DVD or you can "like" Don Principe on FB or take a look at his son, Doctor Wendell MF, also on FB and at Hilltop
    Maryanna Haymon- Marydell Farm - Home to Don Principe & Doctor Wendell MF
    www.marydellfarm.com
    2012 USDF Champion Breeder! 2007, 2011 USEF Champ Breeder
    2009,2010,2011 USDF Res Breeder of the Year!

A good conformation photo would help. She sounds like a good breeding candidate! Cor Noir was certainly lovely -- what is her Thoroughbred lines? It's great that he would like a copy -- that's a great reason to breed. Matching her type is a good idea and figuring where she could use a bit of improvement or a tweak. Many of the Dutch breds are also Holsteiner lines. You could probably speak with Judy Yancey or Kathy Hickerson for recommendations on some of the frozen stallions or Hilltop could possibly make recommendations since they stood Cor Noir. Good luck!
    PennyG

I am working on getting the pics up (I am not a premium member, so I just e-mailed one who can hopefully post for me!), they are not the greatest, and I don't have a confo shot, but hopefully they can give you an idea!!They were just phone pics I captured at her first show with the owner's student this past Saturday, so they may show up small here.

Maryanna- I was hoping you would reply I think he would like to go up the levels. He is an R hunter judge that is requested all over the East Coast, and wants something he can show and ride as he would like to expand his riding knowledge. The mare has a super temperament, she really is such a sweetie pie! I told him I am a big fan of your boy, so hopefully he makes his short list!!!

TKR- I do not know her Tbred lines, he actually is in the process of getting her papers from the owner before the one he purchased her from, but I will try to find out if he could at least get the dam's name or dam sire!
    Last edited by SamWerner; Apr. 23, 2013 at 09:14 PM.
    Samantha Werner

There is something about riding down the street on a prancing horse that makes you feel like something, even when you ain't a thing. ~ Will Rogers

Posting pics of the mare for Sam
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cor noir mare 2.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	8.7 KB 
ID:	38023   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cor noir mare.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	7.6 KB 
ID:	38022  
    Worth A Shot Farm
    Finding the horse of your dreams, is always Worth A Shot!
    Visit our Website
    Join us on Facebook
    Watch us on Youtube

Thanks Allie!!! You are the best
    Samantha Werner

Lovely mare from the performance shots. Reminds me of the Cor Noir mare I had some years ago. Cor Noir was a very nice sire.

Personally I think Don Principe would do nicely with her. If your friend is a hunter judge, he may have seen or will see a couple of his offspring. One is a 3 yr old filly doing the hunter breeding classes and theother is doing the hunter derby path. Both have great minds, and do well with their ammy owner. Different "C" holsteiner dams.the full sibling to the one doing the derbies is scoring in the mid 70 as she starts her dressage career.

That having been said, I would want to keep the "jump" in the canter. I know that my "Prince" can do that based what his offspring are doing competitively in dressage.

Is the mare in FL? If so, pm me
    Maryanna Haymon- Marydell Farm - Home to Don Principe & Doctor Wendell MF
    www.marydellfarm.com
    2012 USDF Champion Breeder! 2007, 2011 USEF Champ Breeder
    2009,2010,2011 USDF Res Breeder of the Year!

A close friend of mine just bought a young Don Principe mare (4 y.o.) and she absolutely adores her. She is very attractive, lovely mover and the nicest temperment. She is very sensible and sweet. She bought her to hopefully go up the levels to FEI. I love her eyes and expression.
    PennyG

I also think Don Principe would be a good fit for her.
    Visit Sonesta Farms website at www.sonestafarms.com or our FaceBook page at www.facebook.com/sonestafarms. Also showing & breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.

Thanks all!!! The barn is having a little get together tonight to celebrate me officially becoming a lawyer (I am joining your club Sonesta!), so I will let him know what the wise breeders of COTH have to say!!

Maryanna- Sending you a PM
    Samantha Werner

Congratulations!!
    PennyG

TKR- Thank you

Thought I would give you all an update: I spoke with Hilltop Farm, they were SUPER nice!!

They said from their roster, from what the owner wants, they brought it down to Ampere, Nego, Chippendale and Don Principe.

Since the owner loves Netto (who will not be available in the US until 2014 if anyone is interested), they said Negro would be second best, but he is a heavier stallion.

Ampere would be a lighter, more modern match, with some of the same fancy flamboyant gaits that the MO is a fan of, and his get have been showing the same gaits so far!

They raved about Don Principe, they said he has the best rideability and temperament. They said the only possible downfall in the MO eyes may be that his gaits are not as flamboyant as the other stallions (which is not a negative by any means in my eyes, nor HTF, they love him!), and it seems that is what the MO really wants, but I am still telling him to take a second look

They said Chippendale may be a good choice if the MO does not mind taking a risk, as he is a younger unproven stallion, but may give the more modern look while still getting in the Negro line that the MO seems so fond of.
    Last edited by SamWerner; Apr. 24, 2013 at 06:17 PM.
    Samantha Werner

I am all about rideability. Flamboyant gaits are really nice to watch, but if I'm going to ride it, I want a great, willing, steady mind.
    Visit Sonesta Farms website at www.sonestafarms.com or our FaceBook page at www.facebook.com/sonestafarms. Also showing & breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonesta View Post
    I am all about rideability. Flamboyant gaits are really nice to watch, but if I'm going to ride it, I want a great, willing, steady mind.
    I agree! I am just posting on behalf of a trainer at my barn since he is computer illiterate haha
    Samantha Werner