The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Western dressage

There are several associations with their own tests and rules but which is the most organized and popular. I ask as we host several dressage shows a year and have included Western dressage from the start, but it is a little confusing as to which tests to offer.

Warning: you may get some rather heated opinions to this one.

Are your shows CDS recognized? If so, CDS has stated that Western Dressage is allowable at 1* shows but 1) the USEF Western Dressage (Morgan section) tests must be used and 2) all riders must wear a helmet. Obviously, check with the CDS office.

Apparently you can use the rules from the other organizations if you declare those classes as a separate "schooling" show. I don't know the exact specifications of that, we elected to go with the CDS guidelines.

Hi marval,

I've been to your shows and you do a lovely job all around! I see that Camelot up near Chico is going to be offering WD and they will be using the WDAA rules. Don't know if this helps or not.

Best wishes for a successful show season!
    My Mustang Adventures - Mac, my mustang | Annwylid D'Lite - my Cob filly

"A horse's face always conveys clearly whether it is loved by its owner or simply used." - Anja Beran

1 members found this post helpful.

I will delete my post. if you delete yours, Paula, it will be as if my crankiness had never occurred.
    A helmet saved my life.

2014 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!

Agree with you 100%, Bristol Bay. To answer the OP's question, my guess is that nothing in western dressage is very organized at this point and, as it is very new, I don't think popularity can be assessed yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by SuzieQNutter
    The whip is held across your thigh so as you can still hold the reins without spilling your coffee!!
    SillyHorse adds: Or your wine.

2 members found this post helpful.

Yes, Sillyhorse. Witness the current thread on tests by WD people, for WD people, and it is also the typical WD train wreck.

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...y-don-t-add-up
    A helmet saved my life.

2014 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!

And THIS is why I said these forums can be rather snarky. I rest my case.

To the OP, our GMO uses the Morgan rules at our schooling shows.

L

3 members found this post helpful.

We decided to use the USEF Western Dressage tests at our schooling shows.

Quote Originally Posted by paulaedwina View Post
    Oh my goodness! Every time someone posts about Western Dressage you chime in trying to chase them off. EVEN AFTER you are reminded that the moderator already ruled on this situation.

If you are sick of these threads practice the action of ignoring them.

Jeez.
    Paula
    she had nothing to say on my NAWD thread. Easy on the hyperbole of 'every time'.

4 members found this post helpful.

Hi Marval - I love your shows too! This is probably not the forum to discuss WD, most here are "classical dressage" focused.

As for popularity of the tests - one of my great wishes (and I've passed this on to some of the founders of the movements) is that the various Western groups would get together and agree on one set of tests, one set of rules. Like any new discipline, there are some growing pains that will occur, some egos that need to "stand down", and a learning curve to follow.

I've judged both the Western Dressage and Cowboy Dressage tests at various schooling shows - I think the Western Dressage tests are more popular and widespread, but the Cowboy Dressage tests are more interesting, showing a definite progression in difficulty and training.

I hope USDF changes their mind over time - I think right now, they are cutting off quite a few potential members, and giving up the chance to help form a growing movement that could help some Western riders improve their riding and training - anything that moves away from Western Pleasure and its devolved gaits is a positive move in my eyes! And honestly, if USDF accepts Intro, why not WD (with some caveats in rules, tack allowed, etc)?

Both groups have some classical dressage trainers and judges working with them, along with some western riders.

IMO, the only way USDF will change its mind is if WD is truly dressage in western tack - with the only real difference being, perhaps, the gaits (traditional western horses vs. traditional dressage horse gaits). Get rid of the curb at lower levels, get off the forehand, require (and really stick to ) real contact and pure gaits. I know that's what the Morgan rules say - but it is not what we see in too many youtube vids and too often in the show ring.

L

2 members found this post helpful.

You all need to understand that USDF backed off when THREE ,yes THREE different western dressage groups showed up at convention All wanting to be IT.

Until the WD groups can get together and come up with one standard no other group is going to sanction them.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by lorilu View Post
    IMO, the only way USDF will change its mind is if WD is truly dressage in western tack - with the only real difference being, perhaps, the gaits (traditional western horses vs. traditional dressage horse gaits). Get rid of the curb at lower levels, get off the forehand, require (and really stick to ) real contact and pure gaits. I know that's what the Morgan rules say - but it is not what we see in too many youtube vids and too often in the show ring.

L
    While I would agree with the curb bit issue - let's be real, how many Intro and Training Level rides have you seen that meet your other criteria?

Most of the Intro and Training level tests I see are conducted at 90mph, perhaps a curb would be a good idea?

Bickering aside, the OP didn't ask anyone's opinion about western dressage, only which rules to use.

I would suggest perhaps taking a poll of people interested in entering and seeing what the majority like. Or seeing which rules are more in line with what you want your show to represent.

Then, when the western dressage folks align you can pick those tests.

Frankly, for western dressage to survive there eventually has to be a consensus.

Quote Originally Posted by mjhco View Post
    You all need to understand that USDF backed off when THREE ,yes THREE different western dressage groups showed up at convention All wanting to be IT.

Until the WD groups can get together and come up with one standard no other group is going to sanction them.
    3 at the USDF Convention? Who is your source?

TWO. Not Three. Two.

“USDF BLOG"
    FRIDAY, DECEMBER 7, 2012 www.usdf.org

“Really, the only "interesting" moment today happened outside of the BOG. During the US Equestrian Federation Dressage Committee open forum, a representative from the association North American Western Dressage asked why the USDF has so far declined to formally endorse or support any of the Western-dressage associations. If you've been reading your USDF Connection, you know that Western dressage is a hot topic. (The response, from USDF president George Williams, was that the USDF must take care to protect the sport's name and terminology as defined by the USDF, the FEI, and in the scope of the Olympic movement. At this time, the USDF will link to WD organizations' websites but declines to endorse any sole WD entity.)”
    President Jen Johnson follows up the trip with “We already knew the answer to our question, but we wanted the entire crowd to hear that there ARE two organizations, there ARE choices. Jen was mobbed after her little speech by people coming up to her and saying what a great job she did and expressing their excitement for our mission. We went to the USDF convention with very few USDF members knowing that there are two organizations vying for USEF/DF approval, very few being familiar with our mission. We went to the USDF Convention knowing that we needed to get LOUDER. We are now home safe and sound, mission accomplished.” So the field is set, let the games begin!

They are:

1. WDAA
    2. NAWD

Since then Cowboy Dressage has appeared on the scene. Our local GMO originally aligned with a group in one of the other WD organizations only to be informed that they were going with CD.
    Brock
    Brock n. (Anglo-Saxon) badger as in Brockenhurst, Brocklebank etc www.area35.us

Yes there is CD. which ads letters to the court. Bless your GMO for taking on that task....seems small until you have to find them to match the rest

Quote Originally Posted by MysticOakRanch View Post
    While I would agree with the curb bit issue - let's be real, how many Intro and Training Level rides have you seen that meet your other criteria?
    At least those are aspired to even at Intro and TL. The WD videos on youtube too often show what seems to be western pleasure on a pattern, not western dressage. Of those I mentioned, pure gaits is, IMO, most important!