The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Chicken eating her own eggs

We have 6 chickens in a little backyard coop. They have access to the yard for part of the day. We've started noticing a broken egg every few days and no leftover shell. Not sure which one is the culprit, but we have our suspicions.

What do we do to make her stop eating her eggs? My husband wants to cook her for dinner but I want to see if we can stop this first. Thanks!

I think it's a calcium deficiency that starts that. Or she's just mental. Do you have the fortified scratch available?
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

She's on layer crumbles, and I give them banana, bread, veggies etc as I have leftovers etc.

Get a bag of oyster shells and give them some of that in addition to regular feed and grit.
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

1 members found this post helpful.

A coworker had a chicken doing this, and he started putting a few golf balls in the nests. The chicken would peck but get nothing out of it, and eventually they stopped ruining their real eggs.
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

Try crushed Oyster shell. You can keep it in a smaller separate dish for them to access on their own. You can find it at Tractor Supply.
    "If you've got a horse, you've got a problem"

Chicken and dumplings?

Just watch out if you put the chicken in the oven. Your oven may close forever.

7 members found this post helpful.

Thanks guys. I'll see if I can find some golf balls and will pick up some oystershells....and rmh

Typically, egg eaters are hard to cure (but the golf ball idea sounds good). You can also purchase roll out nest boxes which helps prevent this. Usually it is not a deficiency in anything, chickens just love the taste of eggs!
    I LOVE my Chickens!

Well if we can't get her to stop, I guess she'll end up cooked, which is sad because she's an adorable white sizzle bantam with a cute tuft of feathers on her head and she runs to me whenever I walk into the yard.

It's an A-frame coop and there's really no way to change the nest box setup.

It is a hard habit to break. I guess you could try the golf ball idea and collect your eggs early in the day so they aren't sitting out there available to her. Having access to a good peck and scratch area with loose soil/manure/bugs might help occupy her. Definitely make sure she has access to oyster shells.

Well just my 2 cents but if she is a Banty sizzle, the carcass would not be worth processing for two reasons. First the carcass is not going to be very robust. A carcass of this size is hardly worth processing. Second if she is a sizzle and not a frizzle, which is very likely, she has silkie lineage or blood. Silkies have black skin, meat and even bones so they are undesirable for eating.
    I think because she is so friendly, you said it yourself how she runs to you when you walk out into the yard, She should be rehomed or keep her as a pet. Silkies and sizzles were meant to be ornamental birds and pets, not production layers. They eat very little in the scheme of things, and their lovely appearance and nature makes them very disirable as pets. Definately worth running an ad on CL or something. Because after you kill her and dress her you will find her undisirable for the pot.

If you wish to go the route of putting birds in the pot then look into dual purpose or heritage meat breeds, not oramentals. I am not against cooking your own chickens in any way. I am only interested in trying to stop the unnesasary death of this chicken.

Hulk, I'm not in favor of eating her....i'm a vegetarian But thank you for more reasons to give my carnivorous husband. I'll rehome her if anything. She's a funny little bird.

Sorry if I sounded strong but I am just sure someone will want a lovely little hen like that for a pet. You can assure your husband she is not worth eating. I dont know how it is where you live but here silkies are a hot comodity and a sizzle would be even hotter. Good luck!

I think I just won the argument with him - no eating her. Now, hopefully I can get her to stop eating eggs so I can keep her.