The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Louisiana!

Hi there! I will be moving to New Orleans, LA in about 8 months. Can anyone give me a little info about what it takes to event/dressage/hunt? Not interested in doing any hunters or eq because i've been doing that in college. How far do you travel to events? Are there any upper level riders in the deep south? I am from the midatlantic so pretty darn used to everything being close !I am aware the best barns are on the North Shore near Folsom/Covington. I am willing to board at a h/j or dressage barn if I can trailer for lessons. I would probably be buying an OTTB so if anyone can PM me contacts or references that would be great. I probably will not be buying a horse for another 6 months after the move but I would like to maybe lease or take lessons until then. Feel free to PM me! Thank you!

I am pretty much willing to drive 45 mins one way to a barn and on weekends I am willing to travel a decent amount (8 hours) as long as there is stabling and I can stay overnight. I've heard the eventing scene is growing down there and I hope that is true! Looking forward to the move.

PM faybe. She is from New Orleans and evented there for years. I think her former trainer is still there.
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

No foxhunting anywhere near New Orleans. We used to get people from there who drove to Jackson, Miss. to hunt.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Yeah I figured no foxhunting near the city. Jackson isn't too bad of a drive...about 3 hours google maps says. I would be OK with that as long as I didn't go every weekend.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Quote Originally Posted by StrawberryFields View Post
    Yeah I figured no foxhunting near the city. Jackson isn't too bad of a drive...about 3 hours google maps says. I would be OK with that as long as I didn't go every weekend.
    SEDA is very active for dressage. There is a great deal of English riding activity around Folsom and Covington. Folsom is the Epicenter, as it were.
    http://www.sedariders.org/

http://lagniappeequestriancenter.com/
    Hildy and Jon are MFHs of the Jackson hunt. They used to run a couple of events a year some years back, but I'm not sure if they still do.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

There are a number of dressage shows in the NO area and Holly Hill is just north of Shreveport. There's a 6 or 8 week h/j circuit in Gulfport, MS.

I think more h/j and dressage, but in Area V, we drive...a lot! Tyler is a couple of hours past Shreveport. There's also some eventing in the Houston area.
    www.debracysporthorses.com
    Home of Sea Accounts xx
    AHS/HV, ATA, GOV, RPSI, JC, AQHA, APHA, APtHA
    "LIKE" www.facebook.com/SeaAccounts

I'm going to have to do a lot of driving! It would be nice to be able to do the jumper and dressage circuits just to keep up and do lots of XC schoolings. Reallyyyyyy make those events count

The local H/J circuit in Folsom/Covington and some shows in MS have decent jumper classes. I think there's some eventing barns in northern LA, but I haven't heard of a single event actually in LA. I've heard of one or two combined tests, one of which was in Baton Rouge.

Louisiana is not a horse-heavy area, so you will DEFINITELY need to prepare for some driving if you want to do any showing!!

1 members found this post helpful.

Thank you, that's what I was thinking! There is Holly Hill which is in Louisiana. I think the food and city will make it worth the drive to events! I wish eventing would become more country-wide instead of focusing so much in certain areas.

The Mosing's are in Maurice, that's 2 hours away. They own most of Will Faudree's horses and both daughters event. That's the closest I know for eventers, but I think there is another farm near Lafayette. http://www.sterlingsilverstables.com/

beautiful facility! Who do they ride with? Their mom?

Hello, I live on the northshore in Louisiana. I event and I train and board with Greta Peterson at The Haven, we are the closest barn to the bridge in madisonville. There is also Lynn Quast (dressage/eventing) at Equi Best in Folsom, Hunters Bluff(h/j) in covington, Lagniappe (h/j) in covington, if you are interested I can PM you all the numbers and a ton of farms!!!! I have to ride now but I will get back to you!!! My name is Chrissy
    No Worries!

Thanks for all the information you guys are seriously the best!! I've done tons of online research but it is really the best to get opinions from people that live there!

I was thinking that faraway farm looked beautiful and is quite affordable: http://farawayfarm.homestead.com/

I could board there and work on my dressage (which I love anyways, I could do straight dressage with the right horse!) and trailer to lessons.

That is a very nice farm too I totally forgot about Bonnie!!!
    No Worries!

Holly Hill in Benton is the only recognized event in La. However, SEDA does put on 2 unrecognized events per year. Pharview stables in around Lafayette too...Courtney Ramsey owns that. Have heard good things about Sterling Stables as well. Chrissy probably knows the closest places around NO that you might could board. Both Greta and Lynn are great. My trainer from Holly Hill, Caroline Sibleys comes down south to school a group of us about once a month.

It is a bit of a 'dry' area around here for eventing. Jackson and Alabama would be the closest for fox hunting, and your best bet for boarding and lessons would be the north shore (Folsom area).
    Lafayette does have two very nice eventing places in Pharview and Sterling Sliver Stables.
    Would be happy to help if you want to send me a PM.

Welcome to Louisiana! Don't forget your mosquito spray!

i'm going to need to start working out every day or i'll gain 20 pounds from all the goodies! at least the north shore is horsey

Default Horses on North Shore

Ask folks about the love bugs you'll encounter on the causeway on the way to see your horse....

Check out Michelle Bergeron in Baton Rouge-Right Lead Equestrian Center. She's probably too far for regular lessons, but they attend shows and she always knows when the public XC course in BR is open (it's a rare occasion, unfortunately) and takes a group to school. She also has some XC jumps set up on her property. She would be a great resource and is lots of fun to ride with.

Are you looking to buy an OTTB once you get down there? CANTER used to have a chapter there, but it seems to have closed. There's a track in NO, a training track in Folsom (I believe) and tracks in Lafayette. Check with Louisiana Horse Rescue-they have a website and are on FB. They have OTTB's looking for homes and could probably point you in the direction of some trainers if you want on track connections.

And you're right-start working out now. The food there is INCREDIBLE!! I went to college and grad school in BR and miss the food and the people so much. It's a fun place-hope you enjoy it! Also, be sure to drool over the NOPD horses once you get down there-hubba hubba!
    the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique