The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Dewsbury Revolver Weymouth- Reviews?

Was perusing weymouths today and that one caught my eye. Anyone have it? What do you like/not like? What kind of horse does it work best on? Would be great to find a trial on it somewhere. It's not as expensive as HS but still not cheap!

Found this article which tells me a lot of what I want to know. Anyone have differing opinions?

http://www.horse-journal.com/magazin...ing-shank-bit/

I have one- I like it...
    www.pinkhorseperformance.com
    Begin as you mean to continue.

I have one. I got it for an older schoolmaster that used to open her mouth and really lean on the bit. I would alternate this bit in from time to time and it was effective. She did not gape or lean as much but I would alternate between this and a regular weymouth. I have a younger horse that is just learning the double. She is quite a bit more sensitive and the regular Weymouth seemed like too much bit when I first introduced it to her. She got too backed off with so much bit. I tried the revolver weymouth and she is much more comfortable. I don't like to use it exclusively because i feel like it is all curb. It is worth having in your tack room, some horses will go well in it, it is not a fix all.

I've used the Dewsbury Revolver on a number of FEI horses, and have yet to find one which didn't like it and go well in it. Thankfully it's available again, after having been off the market for several years.

I have had one for over 10 years and used it on several different horses. Love it for my lighter and more sensitive horses that don't like a mouthful of heavy, thick bits.

1 members found this post helpful.

Excellent info, guys. The horse I'm leasing is a confirmed PSG horse but he's not an easy ride. I've put him back in a snaffle (he hasn't been ridden in one consistently in years) and after blood, sweat, and tears I'm finally on a good path with it. Ok, there was no blood but there was lots of sweat and tears! I have ridden him recently just a couple of times in the double again with really good results. He's a big horse with a big ole neck and he likes to engage his underneck and not work correctly. In the double the thing I don't like is that sometimes he just LAYS in my hands (doesn't do this in the snaffle though but isn't as honest in the contact) and he does like to open his mouth. I also noticed last time I had mirrors available that the particular weymouth he has at the moment is always at a 45 degree angle when I'm not even using the curb rein so by the time I engage the curb rein a little it's got way too much angle. I also need to keep the right side looser because he's not as good at taking the right rein so the shanks on this dewsbury bit being independently really appealed to me. The owner of the horse mentioned that she thinks someone in our area has one (if it's the right size) so I think I'll contact her to try one before I shuck out $75 for one. The horse is lame at the moment so it's all a moot point right now but it's on my list. I won't ride him in it exclusively since I think I'm at the point that the snaffle and the double being used in rotation are starting to play well with each other.