The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Breeders, how do you sell your less than ideal young stock?

Odd question, please bare with me.

I like a certain breed, but not so keen on its show ring ideal self. So I want to find a young horse (2010) of this breed, but not the "show type".

Apparently the backyard breeders of this breed have disappeared in my area as I can't find any advertised on the regular sales sites...and we aren't talking a rare breed...those I can find....

So thinking that perhaps what I should be looking for is a breeder's less than quality stock that they have hidden behind the barn hoping it would mature into something decent.

Now these wouldn't be advertised on their websites (and apparently breeders of this breed all got together and decided to stop updating their websites in 2010), so how would you go about finding these "culls"?
    Freeing worms from cans everywhere!

Start contacting breeders who breed what you are looking for and let them know you are looking for a 2010 model. Even if they don't have one, they may know someone who does.

Without more details, my guess is word-of-mouth is the way to go here.

I would probably frame it, "I love the type of horses you produce, and am looking for one, but born in 2010. I don't know if you have anything coming 3 available, but I'm hoping you may, or you may know of a breeder with something similar."

I probably wouldn't come out asking for their culls.

Just reread your post--I may have misunderstood. If you are looking for backyard breeders does that mean you are looking for some thing cheaper? Just be up front about your budget (if that's the case).
    Siouxland Sporthorses: http://slsfarm.blogspot.com/

DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

1 members found this post helpful.

In a hypothetical, since I don't know what breed you specifically mean, you could be vague, or contact breeders and tell them flat out you're looking for a dressage/jumping/trail/whatever horse, and actually are interested in the horses who just don't have enough knee/necks are too low set for their show ring desires.

Another one would be a QH breeder who does western pleasure futurities - horses who are built too uphill or don't have tempos which are naturally slow enough with too long a stride for WP.

Basically, tell them you're looking for a horse who may not fit their ideal but who could work well for your sport of choice. Stress the attributes you DO still want, though.
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

2 members found this post helpful.

On the same websites as the "what I wanted to get" horses but at a lower price. For example I tried to breed mare X to be a dressage type. I got one with a lower set neck and flatter movement. So I put in the ad that she is not suited to be an UL dressage horse (even though she is a WB) and would be best suited to being a hunter type. Since I don't do show hunters she is priced less to move her along.
    (FWIW no one apparently reads the ad text as all I seem to get for responses are dressage folks that I spend a lot of time with then say she isn't the UL dressage type I am looking for. Duh! I said that in the ad....).

A lot of show type breeds have forums - so see if your breed of choice has a forum and pose your question. Arabians - arabianbreeders.net. Saddlebreds have a forum called trot.org. I'm sure Morgans have a forum, just don't know the name. If I haven't guessed the breed you are talking about, you still get the idea. Use Google or ask someone here - I'm sure there's a reader for about every breed in America and beyond. You might also try breed associations - they usually have directories and sometimes people don't advertise but still have horses. You might also consider going to a local all breed show if such a thing exists and doing a little networking at the show. Stop at the show office and ask or just wander the aisles and chat with folks.

Good luck!

I have read this breed's forum, but hadn't thought to post on it.

Their association website is very out of date: many of the links are no longer valid, and over half the numbers I tried calling are either not in service or just ring and ring and ring, so seemed futile. Frick, even one of the top trainers in the area for this breed have an invalid phone number on their website!

Might ask my vet if they know any breeders locally.

If your breed is Arabian

http://westslope.craigslist.org/zip/3751647790.html

There is a very large, very famous breeder in this town. That's all I'm saying.

Why not post the breed you are looking for to help us give you more information? You may just have a larger network than you think, and breeders may not have any stock but know someone who does. Sort of a friend of a friend type of thing.

Molly guessed it...Arabian (or part).

Joined some facebook groups to network better.

I want a 2010 filly. Just for fun. Maybe some dressage....or western....or ?

But if I say "dressage" people seem to think I want a BIG mover...and I don't. Or if I say western they think I want a hooky neck....when really I just want a sporty little horse to have some fun with and see where training takes us, without the pressure of a competitive goal....I realize I miss just having fun, and I really like starting horses.

Aaah, I thought that might be it. I don't know if you were referring to the US AHA site, but take a look at the classifieds. Always a lot of horses for sale there and you can search by geography, age, gender.

Definitely post on ABN. That's a networking bunch there and they should be able to help you. Also make sure you check their horses for sale section. You might also check Addis auctions - there is a sale coming up from a very reputable Polish breeder with horses bred for performance - just checked web site and it's tonight. All the lots are online. They also have other auctions coming up.

Good luck!

Take a look at the 2010 bay filly on this page - Elegant Dancer (last horse listed on the page) only $1200 - very pretty girl and her legs look nice and straight.

http://www.bjarabians.com/salehorses.htm

They also have a grey 2009 filly - Winters Last Gift , not the greatest pictures for her

They are in Mayerthorpe, AB - which might be too far away from you. But then again horse buying road trips are the best - lol!

Check out horses bred for endurance and racing, too. Endurance.net is their board if I recall correctly.

Check the Canter Colorado listings. There is a fabulously well bred (and performance proven) Arabian race mare on there. She's not a baby, but you could ride her and have fun with her right now. I bet she'd excel at endurance.

Quote Originally Posted by CHT View Post
    Molly guessed it...Arabian (or part).

Joined some facebook groups to network better.

I want a 2010 filly. Just for fun. Maybe some dressage....or western....or ?

But if I say "dressage" people seem to think I want a BIG mover...and I don't. Or if I say western they think I want a hooky neck....when really I just want a sporty little horse to have some fun with and see where training takes us, without the pressure of a competitive goal....I realize I miss just having fun, and I really like starting horses.
    Where are you located?
    co-author of
    Duel for the Crown: Affirmed, Alydar, and Racing's Greatest Rivalry
    www.duelforthecrown.com

Fine line has a herd reduction sale

Contact rescues & SPCA's - there have been large & small herd seizures, some get press, some don't ... though if you're not interested in shipping, you'll obviously know what's happening in your area.

Fairview produces some nice horses, no idea on the prices.

If you like Egyptian blood lines: here they have a number of Arabian horses for sale: http://www.poetsmanorarabians.com/sales.htm

Oops, it seems most horses have been sold...
    Last edited by Elles; Apr. 24, 2013 at 01:31 PM. Reason: Found out that most horses have been sold

I was in exactly the same situation a few years ago! decided I really wanted a fun horse that made me want to pay the board bills, and wanted another Arab. I did a LOT of networking, lots of internet searches, etc and in the end, the sales list I ended up buying from was forwarded to me from a Morgan breeder who had just sold a Morab that I was interested in, and had said she'd let me know of anything else she heard about that met my criteria. I ended up with a cute, sweet, fun little gray Arab guy that is exactly what I wanted (though maybe a little short :-) I don't know how widely the breeder advertised - I never saw an ad for him anyplace else, and I thought I was being pretty thorough in my search.

I am in Alberta, Canada, so trying to avoid the expense of bringing one up from the US.

Called a few breeders, but apparently I have called the nutty ones who spend 10 minutes telling me their life woes and then try to sell me something much older than I want.

Making me shy to keep calling!

really wanting a 3 year old. MAYBE a two year old if I am out of luck on the 3 year old, but not older. For some reason I thought I would be able to drive to a breeder and look at a herd of young horses like I could a warmblood breeder. Silly me.

Part of your problem, I'm guessing, is that everyone cut WAY back when the economy tanked.

We're only just back to breeding. Two foals this year (one filly already on the ground) and 3 or 4 mares to be bred for next year.
    co-author of
    Duel for the Crown: Affirmed, Alydar, and Racing's Greatest Rivalry
    www.duelforthecrown.com

Yes, it does seem the Arabian breeders locally cut back, while the paint/QH breeders just kept going...

But! I have now found three fillies that might be worth looking at, and I only need one, so fingers crossed.