The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question Has anyone done business with Dorian Farmer, Heather Farmer or Iconic Bay Equestrian?

They have a Nabab/Darco in utero foal for sale on warmbloods-for-sale.com, but after googling their names I'm not sure if they are honest individuals. If you google "Dorian Farmer Florida" someone shows up with a mugshot from being arrested, and if you google "Heather Farmer Florida" a link shows a vet named "Heather HEIDERICH, DVM n/k/a Heather Farmer" who was sued for breeching a contract with a former employer. I am not positive those are the same individuals so I'm not posting the links. Just hoping someone can verify them??

Has anyone done business with either of them?

1 members found this post helpful.

I'd be curious to know as well-- especially because the horse world is a small world. If a breeder/trainer etc. has a criminal record, I'd want to know before I got involved.

2 members found this post helpful.

Heather & Dorian post here regularly under the names dcf13050 and iconicbayequestrian. Read up on their posts and decide for yourself.
    The rebel in the grey shirt

In link posted above iconicbayequestrian (Orlando Fl) satets that his wife is the vet (probably the Heather HEIDERICH, DVM the OP was asking about).

In another Googled link on "Heather HEIDERICH, DVM Florida" I came up with this "FEVS formally terminated Dr. Farmer's employment by letter dated July 1, 2010.", where FEV is Florida Equine Veterinary Services of Clermont Fl.
    http://caselaw.findlaw.com/fl-distri...l/1597400.html

So sounds (to me, but I am NOT a lawyer)like FEV fired Heather then came back after her in March 2012 since she violated the terms of her (previous) employment agreement which had a 1 year non-compete agreement in it. It also sound like she took some of her previous clients from FEV - which although not ethical might say she is a good vet, at least she apparently made some people happy with the services she rendered. Uncertain of final outcome (provided link so you can read for yourself) but sounds like one court sided with Heather, while another court sided with FEV.
    Sandy in Fla.

Can anyone identify the man named Dorian Farmer on googles mugshot with a criminal record? I think everyone needs to be aware of these kinds of things before doing business. Thank The Lord for google!

It is him. It's public record. I wouldn't classify him as a hardened criminal or anything like that.

My thoughts on them is this: if they had a horse I wanted I would do business with them. By that I mean I would pay cash and get a very cut & dry contract. They have nice horses and they're well cared for. They're knowledgeable horse people too (lots of time yous see people with more $ than sense... not the case here) I see no reason to boycott their business based on that.

Personally I would not want to enter any sort of long term contract or look for some "mutually agreeable" situation. That is where things might get sticky, but I think that's just good business practice in general. Don't try to make deals with people you don't know and trust completely. It can turn ugly quickly, and some folks don't handle ugly well.

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by JWB View Post
    It is him. It's public record. I wouldn't classify him as a hardened criminal or anything like that.
    Thank you. No one else seemed to want to say that. Each person has to make up their own mind but personally, there are too many hard-working and honest breeders out there to buy from that I think doing business with a person who has a criminal record would be an absolute last resort.

Quote Originally Posted by Quixotic View Post
    Thank you. No one else seemed to want to say that. Each person has to make up their own mind but personally, there are too many hard-working and honest breeders out there to buy from that I think doing business with a person who has a criminal record would be an absolute last resort.
    I have to agree. A wife (vet) who broke a contract and was sued over it, and a husband who has a criminal record doesn't sit well with me. To enter into an in utero contract seems like a huge risk.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Quixotic View Post
    I guess it depends on what the criminal record is for, but in general I agree with this.

OK. This is Dorian...the hardened criminal. Firstly, yes 13 years ago I got into trouble. Was really a dumb, immature kid. Paid dearly for those mistakes and have been a good person, father and breeder since those mistakes were paid for. He who lives in glass houses.....

Secondly, if you are going to post things about my wife then at least get it right. She was fired (8 months pregnant at the time) and then was sued afterwords for breach of non-compete. Please real ALL of the court documents on that suit where it also shows that she won the case.

If you don't want to do business with us, no worries. We raise not only wonderful kids but horses as well. Go slander someone else. This is all old news, and with very few exceptions everyone here in Orlando that are clients and friends know all about me and my wife. She is an awesome person and fantastic vet, go bark up another tree please.

12 members found this post helpful.

BTW...we are not dcf13050. Sorry.

And Lastly (still the hardened criminal here), has ANYONE out there...ANYWHERE ever purchased a horse or foal from us that is not thrilled with what they purchased? Anyone........Anyone.......I didn't think so. We are VERY careful to match the right horse with the right owner. Have a nice day.

Valentina, the lower court ruled against her and the upper court ruled in her favor. And yes, she is a rock star vet.

In 2002 (11 years ago), when the crime was committed (according to the report) you would've been 31. You were a kid until the age of 18, no?

Unfortunately, no. Chronologically I should have been waaaay more mature than I was. I wasn't. And for Just Because (I like the name BTW) when you are under a illegal (maybe not the right word but for the purposes of this it will have to work bc I don't know how else to describe it) non compete that makes it so you can't work....yep, it hurt financially, there are consequences. Wondering who you are though...I sold bad hay, that hurts the worst. PS my money goes in order:

Horses
    Private School for two kids
    and yeah....two kids.

We know who I am. Who are you? It sure is easy to hide behind a username and sling dirt isn't it.

I certainly don't see eye to eye with the Farmers on many issues, however MOST of the good vets in this area have been in a lawsuit with their former employers at some point around here. There are a couple of "old guards" who don't think anyone else should be allowed to set up shop. Its through these break-away vets that equine orthopedics, etc have made huge leaps forward here in the past few years.

Also as a woman with a functioning reproductive system it really makes me cringe (and it was big news at the time) for any employer to terminate a pregnant employee. If it was a matter of poor performance, they had nothing to worry about in terms of competition.... I remember when this all happened and I thought it was an ugly situation then, and I still think it's an ugly situation. No woman should be penalized professionally for choosing to have a child.

9 members found this post helpful.

Hey guys,

I personally have met Dorian and his wife at a show, and they were nothing but nice to me. They offered to look over my horse while I left for a few hours, since he was acting up in the stall from nerves. They even gave him his AM grain each morning to let me sleep in a bit since I lived an hour away from the showgrounds and did not get a hotel. A persons past is a persons past. Dorian obviously has to live with whatever mistakes he may have made in the past, but speaking bad of him on a public forum is not really helping the situation. I am sure if anyone who was actually interested in buying one of his lovely horses e-mailed or called him and his wife could be adequately reassured that they are good people just by talking to them. And as for calling them out for the foreclosure, really?? Over half of the people that I know on a personal level are going through a foreclosure right now. The economy SUCKS. Are you really going to fault them on that? I am just very surprised on this airing of someone else's dirty laundry on a public forum. Why not just contact them yourselves or send a private PM to someone known to have done business with them?

I recently graduated from law school, and you know what...many many of my friends in school had silly criminal records. Public intoxication, peeing in public (not kidding), assault, battery, you name it. But these people are now practicing Attorney's, and the Florida Bar, who gives you one of the hardest, strictest background checks you will ever experience, cleared my friends. There are two sides to every story. Maybe it is best not to judge others on their mistakes.

It would be a totally different story if you guys were posting about them abusing horses or something along the lines of GFF, but this...stuff about people's personal, private past? Oy vey.

I am sorry about this Dorian, it sucks.

Sam Werner
    Samantha Werner

There is something about riding down the street on a prancing horse that makes you feel like something, even when you ain't a thing. ~ Will Rogers

12 members found this post helpful.

Aren't these the people with Vallado/Praise? I don't know them personally but having been through a similar situation while pregnant they have nothing but my empathy in that aspect.

Love you Sam.....BTW....still ticked your boy beat my girl so badly....
    Last edited by iconicbayequestrian; Apr. 24, 2013 at 05:22 PM. Reason: forgot name