The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Does anyone ride in a Myler combo bit?

I got a Myler combo bit on trial for my endurance mare. I have been having some issues during competition that I think the combo bit could really help (normally we train in a loose ring french snaffle). Anyway, having received it, wow- it looks like a complicated piece of equipment LOL! I've seen a few other horses that have used them, but on the one that I received, it has a piece of string connected to the center of the nose piece which you are supposed to attach to the browband- according to the booklet that came with the bit, the purpose it to keep the nose piece level when there is no pressure on it. None of the other horses I've seen being ridden in this bit have had the string? Is it really necessary? I think that it would drive my horse crazy to have it hanging on her face, plus it would probably get easily rubbed, not to mention that fact that it's quite unattractive (but if it's necessary I know that unattractive isn't a valid reason to leave it off).
    “While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats.” Mark Twain

I've never seen said string on a myler combo bit. It does tend to ride down the nose slightly, but never to the point of being a problem.
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

We just cut the string off

Here's a picture with the weird string thing from their website
    “While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats.” Mark Twain

My farrier rides his mules with the combo bit, with string thingy. I wonder how necessary it is? Might depend on how well the noseband stays put on the individual horse.

Minus it being unattractive, the Parelli cradle bridle comes with that string thingy (it's very similar to the combo bit, it's even made by Myler). And I've seen quite a few horses go in the Parelli bridle. I've never seen a horse care about or get rubbed by the string. Just makes them look dorky.
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

The string is a new thing, none of the combo bits I purchased 2+ years ago came with it.

It is not, IME, needed. I have never had the nose piece fall too low on the myler bits. I cut off the one that came with the last two I purchased. One of which, I admit, was the cradle style - it had the mouth I wanted and was on sale! The other was a "normal" non-koolaid approved myler combo bit.

I'm not sure what the logic is with adding it - a string can be very useful on a bosalito (where it has never rubbed or irritated any horse I know of), but that fits and hangs quite different than the nose on a combo bit!

Mine doesn't have one - but then I don't also attach a standing martingale or tie down to the string under the chin!
    http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j122/nzphoebe/Del/sidehead.jpg

I never had a problem with the nose piece dropping down. It really important that you release with your hands as soon as your horse responds to the bit. If I didn't soften, she just got really p*ssy and pulled harder than ever.

Quote Originally Posted by phoebetrainer View Post
    Mine doesn't have one - but then I don't also attach a standing martingale or tie down to the string under the chin!

Yikes! I can't imagine why anyone would think that is a good idea

Quote Originally Posted by tabula rashah View Post
    Yikes! I can't imagine why anyone would think that is a good idea
    Do they say anything on their website about that photo with the string and the (really tight!!) tie down that you posted?

Quote Originally Posted by phoebetrainer View Post
    Do they say anything on their website about that photo with the string and the (really tight!!) tie down that you posted?
    OMG I am an idiot- I was so busy looking for a photo of the string that I didn't even notice the tie down (probably because it would never occur to me in a million years to use one as such). Going back to the website now to see if it says anything about it