The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Disapointed in COTH Magazine

Once again, I'll be leaving for Rolex WITHOUT having received my Rolex edition. When I first started subscribing about four years ago, I remember taking it on the plane to read en route, LOVING every minute. Made the plane ride from TX SO much more bearable!

BUT--for the last two (perhaps three) years, this special Rolex preview issue doesn't arrive until AFTER I've returned home.

I know I live in BFE, but I can't be the only one traveling on Wednesday to get to dressage on TH. Can't the powers that be try extra hard to get THIS issue into the hands of its loyal subscribers by Tuesday??

Sigh. Rant over.

Becky
    --Becky in TX
    Clinic Blogs and Rolex Blogs
    She who throws dirt is losing ground.

on the bright side, they usually have free copies all over the grounds, and as a subscriber you ought to be able to view it digitally.

But yes, there's nothing like having a hard copy in our hot little hands!!

I agree. No COTH in my mailbox yet. And, even tho I'm a subscriber, I haven't been able to read the 'Jimmy's picks' article. Despite intervention by the COTH staff. Pooh!

I got mine yesterday, and it's majorly screwed up-- 10 pages or so missing from the rider previews, and another 10 or so pages that were printed twice. So if anyone does get an intact copy, I'd love to know what he said about Sally and Tsunami.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Quote Originally Posted by Highflyer View Post
    I got mine yesterday, and it's majorly screwed up-- 10 pages or so missing from the rider previews, and another 10 or so pages that were printed twice. So if anyone does get an intact copy, I'd love to know what he said about Sally and Tsunami.
    IIRC, he basically said that she was a good rider who had been knocking on the door for years, and this might be the year the door opened. He did not pick them in the top twelve, unless he added them after all of the withdrawals.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

I got mine on Saturday.

Blame the post office, not COTH.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

3 members found this post helpful.

I haven't received mine either but I do have flawless online access. If I were planning to attend Rolex, which I'm not, I'd have thought it would be better to have access to it via a smartphone or tablet! I do think it's a USPS problem rather than a COTH problem.
    Last edited by War Admiral; Apr. 23, 2013 at 04:00 PM. Reason: left out word
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Default Subscription gives you digital copy of magazine

I guess I am confused.
    If the magazine is not at your house yet, you can read it on the computer.
    A subscription gives you access to the digital copy of the magazine.
    I like getting the actual paper copy too.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Janet View Post
    I got mine on Saturday.

Blame the post office, not COTH.
    This is true. I posted on another thread that this is the 1st year since 1988 that I recieved my preview issue b4 I left. Several years ago I complained to the P.O. about late issuses, and the fact that sometimes I'd receive 2 issues the same day. I got a longer than needed explanation about the distribution system
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

Thanks, viney!

This issue is one of the few during the year I actually looked forward to reading. I also would get two issues together and things like that. Last year the Rolex issue came to my house the Monday after Rolex. I know it's the fault of the USPS but it's a drag. I am just not wired to read magazines online (especially when I am trying to stream live coverage of the event!) I finally let my subscription lapse this year since it didn't seem worth it anymore...

1 members found this post helpful.

I discontinued my print subscription long ago because they couldn't get me issues until several weeks after their release date--sometimes two and three at a time. Just not worth it to me.

I got mine last night which is usual...I am not blaming the snow filled mailbox on the Chronicle...It is a wonderful issue. Super job everyone. Thanks PatO

Several years ago I contacted the Chronicle about chronically late, missing & tattered issues. They told me to put in a trace through my local post office. Well, that was a bust. The issues began to arrive on time for a while, but only after I was read the riot act by our carrier. Seems the trace caused everyone at the post office much extra work & annoyance, and he wanted to be sure I knew this. WTF? After the trace expired, service went back to even worse than before. Felt a little like retribution to be honest. I think it's probably past time to privatize our broken system.

I do still want the paper issue, but understand those who have given up. I'm not sure how long my patience will hold out.

1 members found this post helpful.

Sharon--But....tho I'm a subscriber...for some reason I couldn't access Jimmy's picks. And, COTH intervention didn't help. So I guess I just don't care. Anyway, I leaving Monday to go to.....Badminton. So there, COTH.

I don't understand why we should blame the post office??? When I use to get other weekly magazines ( gone the way of the dinosaur ) they arrived 1 - 2 days always on time. But never COTH, so can someone explain this??? Happy to say I got mine yesterday and will leave for Rolex on Fri.

Default There are plenty of free copies at Rolex

Once you get there.

I get mine the same day every week. I'm thinking it's your post office.

I like to read Jimmy's pics during dressage.

Thanks, everyone, I was just venting. It's just frustrating when I want to read the magazine on the plane (again, Loooong flight from TX to KY, esp. since I'm flying from Lubbock...which means at least one, possibly two layovers). But I did get it online, and read it today instead of responding to students' projects. Oooops.
    --Becky in TX
    Clinic Blogs and Rolex Blogs
    She who throws dirt is losing ground.

Default Chronicle

We got ours last Friday. Intact.

I just got the April 15 issue yesterday. Had to read Jimmy's words online. Most of the time the lateness doesn't bother me but for this one issue I'd sure like to have it earlier. I'm in Calif and not in the sticks. I'm assuming that unlike other weeklies (like Entertainment Weekly, SI or Time) COTH prints at one location and mails from there. The other large weeklies have regional printing and fulfillment houses that insure that the issues get to the readers all at the same time. My guess this is due to COTH's relatively small size/readership and related budget constraints.