The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Deworming Dilemma

Excuse me if this has been asked before...I've done a good bit of research this morning...but still not exactly sure what to do.

My vet does fecals for me, and my horse has always been negative. I know fecals do not show everything.

As far as I know, my horse has not been dewormed in over 2 years. He if fat and happy and at a show barn, where the horses are dewormed more frequently I believe. He is very prone to ulcers and used to have a large history of gas/spasmodic colics, which is why we initally quit deworming and started the fecals, but then we never put him on any sort of deworming program.

Ideally, I would like him on Quest Plus in spring and Equimax in the fall...and that be that (aka as little as possible.) However, I have read that it is not good to put a horse on Quest Plus that has not been on a rotational deworming plan, which he hasn't in 2+ years.

I will be giving him omeprazole 2 days out from deworming...but where do I begin?

Instead of Quest Plus first, use the Equimax as the first paste dewormer.

If it were me, I would do 30 days of a daily dewormer, then the Quest Plus. That's what I've done in the past with horses with totally unknown and suspect deworming histories. I've also started with Anthecide and worked up.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

The rationale behind not starting off with Quest Plus on a horse with an unknown history, is that a massive die off, could cause colic.

I would check with your vet, but I doubt with negative fecals you will have a massive overload. The one area of concern is, off course, tapes which seldom are found in fecals.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

My vet told me to deworm my horses once a year with something that will get tapeworms (with praziquantal) as long as they have negative fecals. The point of doing the fecals is not to worm unless the test shows you need to.
    Last edited by Peggy; Apr. 23, 2013 at 09:30 PM. Reason: remove tags that arrived with copy and paste but didn't show up on the first computer
    The Evil Chem Prof

Peggy- I agree but he needs something to cover the tapes and bots.

Laura- I'm concerned about putting him on a daily because he used to be on one for years and could have a resistance anyway and he has a sensitive stomach.

bumping this up

Quote Originally Posted by reay6790 View Post
    My vet does fecals for me, and my horse has always been negative. I know fecals do not show everything.
    Ideally, I would like him on Quest Plus in spring and Equimax in the fall...and that be that (aka as little as possible.) However, I have read that it is not good to put a horse on Quest Plus that has not been on a rotational deworming plan, which he hasn't in 2+ years.
    "hasn't been on a plan" in this context really means "hasn't been dewormed and we have no idea what load he's carrying" - then you don't want to just hit him with something that kills pretty much everything.

Given you've had clean FECs for 2 years, it doesn't much matter what you use in terms of causing a large die-off - there isn't a large population of (non-tapeworm) parasites. However, you can't do a partial kill of the tapes like you can with the strongyles, so you just have to go after them with either moxidectin/ivermectin + praziquantel, or a double dose of pyrantel pamoate (just for the tapes and maybe some strongyles).

I will be giving him omeprazole 2 days out from deworming...but where do I begin?
    If the current FEC is clean, then I'd go with Quest Plus

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    If it were me, I would do 30 days of a daily dewormer, then the Quest Plus.
    Why? A DW isn't going to touch adult strongyles, which would be the main problem. It only prevents larva from maturing and then they die. So while you might be preventing further infestation, you're not doing anything for anything that's already a problem.

That's what I've done in the past with horses with totally unknown and suspect deworming histories. I've also started with Anthecide and worked up.
    But this history isn't unknown. The horse hasn't been dewormed, no, but he HAS had clean FECs, so he's just about as good as a horse who has been on a 2x year deworming schedule, excepting the tapes and bots which, as indicated above, you can't incrementally kill

My horse has a history of zero load on FECs, and he gets Quest in the spring and Equimax in the fall. No problems at all.

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    "hasn't been on a plan" in this context really means "hasn't been dewormed and we have no idea what load he's carrying" - then you don't want to just hit him with something that kills pretty much everything.

Given you've had clean FECs for 2 years, it doesn't much matter what you use in terms of causing a large die-off - there isn't a large population of (non-tapeworm) parasites. However, you can't do a partial kill of the tapes like you can with the strongyles, so you just have to go after them with either moxidectin/ivermectin + praziquantel, or a double dose of pyrantel pamoate (just for the tapes and maybe some strongyles).

If the current FEC is clean, then I'd go with Quest Plus

Why? A DW isn't going to touch adult strongyles, which would be the main problem. It only prevents larva from maturing and then they die. So while you might be preventing further infestation, you're not doing anything for anything that's already a problem.

But this history isn't unknown. The horse hasn't been dewormed, no, but he HAS had clean FECs, so he's just about as good as a horse who has been on a 2x year deworming schedule, excepting the tapes and bots which, as indicated above, you can't incrementally kill
    You're right. Not an unknown history at all.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant