The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Lots of good tips here; we have leased a very light coloured grey for my son. I have always had plain bays with minimal white and this is my first grey. I am about the extra grooming!
    I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

I have an Appy with a white blanket, and I have never seen anything work like Cowboy Magic Spray N White. No extra scrubbing, no streaks or stains left, and glossy white when done. Absolutely incredible stuff and I've tried everything else, I used to own a gray.
    send some of their smart literate deer who can read road signs up here since ours are just run of the mill dumb ones who get splatted all over creation because they won't stay in the woods

While we are talking white horses, what can I do about noses that sun burn? He won't keep a fly mask on. I'm using sunscreen daily but he is getting red already!

You might have to try something thick that will stick on, like zinc oxide and really slather it on there...I'm not sure there's much else you can do unless you can keep him inside during the day (at least during midday when the sun is high) and turn him out at night.

I'm lucky that my horse, though mostly white, has a dark nose.
    The Trials and Jubilations of a Twenty-Something Re-rider
    Happy owner of Kieran the mostly-white-very-large-not-pony.

I too have those issues, how to keep a Paint gelding white and sorrel, and how to keep his nose from getting sunburned. I have always Show Sheened his tail to keep it nice, but I guess now I'll tackle some other areas, including his white hock.

Someone on this forum suggested Goop from the auto section of Walmart. I have yet to try it.

As far as sunburn, I've had good results with Coppertone Sport Sunscreen, which is about a SPF 50. I put it on everytime I ride, which is usually 6 days a week. I have long nose Cashel fly masks which I really like, but he manages to lose them. I think they work on the fly masks when they can't play halter tag.

My mare stays pretty white - but - I do not live in a red clay area and her turn-out is a nice pasture or her sawdust paddock. She has nice smooth hair that would be nice and shiny if she was not so white and the marks do not stain too much. She has no mud!!
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

I have a pure white/pink skinned TB and my favorite time of the year is when he can wear a blanket!!! We have black dirt/clay and there just isn't anyway to keep him white and sparkling without a "suit" on. Riding at home... I do the best I can with grooming tools. When he is leaving the farm... I resign myself to a longgggg scrub bath!!!
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

I'm going to try the Dawn liquid and see if that works. Jackie lays in his poop and tinkle, one side only that I've seen. When grooming him, I didn't realize how hard it is to get that stuff out of his coat. I'm kind of concerned that his skin might be getting burned, his coat is so thick. Can't body clip just yet and don't have a blanket for him.
    GR24's Musing #19 - Save the tatas!!

1. Diet- have a good source of fat.
    2. Environment- Try to keep the mud at bay, I've heard people have had good results with putting down some sand in an area wear their horses like to roll.
    3. Grooming- Clipped (short hair is easier to clean and rinse), Bluing shampoo, The old lady hair dye mentioned earlier, show sheen (or some such), Green spot remover, Hot toweling, baby wipes, talc powder. Regular grooming, but not too often on the bathing with soap.

Best of Luck.....Cause you're gonna need it!!

There's nothing like the day before an important event cleaning, and then show up to the barn the morning of to find you almost need to start ALL OVER AGAIN!!!

I know you said you won't or can't blanket him but will throw it out there that here in Oz everything gets light sheet in summer - ears to tail covered. I thought it was crazy when I first got here but the horse is actually cooler with one. They seem to reflect the sun. Fabric wise I don't think they are really any different then North American sheets though most have a high cotton percentage.

It would also keep him from getting sunburned.

Good luck!

P.

Quote Originally Posted by jawa View Post

Best of Luck.....Cause you're gonna need it!!

There's nothing like the day before an important event cleaning, and then show up to the barn the morning of to find you almost need to start ALL OVER AGAIN!!!
    I learned a long time ago that doing it the day before is pointless. You just have to get used to being the first one in the barn on a show day.

(and damn you people with solid color horses who just roll in and throw your horse on the trailer!! )