The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Resources for Learning Grooming Techniques

I admittedly am one of *those people* who hires a professional groom to do all the show season prep for me. I've always wanted to learn how to do it myself but after reading the "OMG - horrible clip job" AND "I Pulled ALL His Mane Off" posts here, I'm TERRIFIED of totally messing it up and going in the ring looking stupid.

Can anyone point me in the direction of any resources that would be helpful if I do decide to bust out the clippers and pulling comb and giving it a try?

Or, names and contact information of professionals in the Western NY area who can come to my barn? LOL! My last girl got married and moved away.

Seriously, youtube. You can learn ANYTHING from youtube videos! Of course the best thing would be to have someone teach you in person, but youtube is a good second. And practice during the winter when it doesn't matter.

If you screw up, it's just hair! It grows back!
    Proud member of the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

PONY'TUDE

2 members found this post helpful.

Get the book "Grooming to Win". It covers EVERYTHING! Just remember to go little by little. You will feel a huge sense of accomplishment, and save money!!!

6 members found this post helpful.

Sue's book Grooming To Win is kind of the Bible of grooming. From daily stuff to showing to clipping to everything...can't beat that book for anything pertaining to grooming.

And youtube is a huge help too...love being able to see stuff actually being done. Just check the comments under the videos...anyone can put stuff up and I've seen some folks who are as bad at grooming as I am with "expert how to" videos up. I *stink* at creative or advanced grooming, pulling and clipping are a mess when I do it, LOL!
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

The traditional book for this is Susan Harris' Grooming to Win. And! She is lives in Central NY somewhere.... Cortland? She is very nice. I don't know if she'd come, but she is someone you can google and call up. Maybe she'd come do a clinic for your barn.

Otherwise, the very best way is to work with other professional grooms at a show barn. You'll learn how they do their magic. I know, that's a tall order, too. I go out of my way to watch and learn from these guys.

YouTube and asking COTHers is a fine way to do it. It's not rocket science and good grooming/clipping and all the rest is something you can learn experimentally. Ask about some technique, get instructions and try it out at home where the stakes are low.

You can do it!
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

1 members found this post helpful.

That's interesting. I had a look inside some of her book on Amazon and with regard to the different breeds. Your rules over there are obviously different to those here in Ireland. Connemaras are always shown unplaited in breed classes here, yet she has stipulated plaited.

A third for "Grooming to Win"--and she is super nice and helpful if you e-mail or contact her. (:
    "Remain relentlessly cheerful."

Graphite/Pastel Portraits

If you're looking for one book, it's "Grooming to Win".
    Y'all ain't right!

Grooming To Win is like, the Bible of grooming. If you are super visual like me, YouTube is also awesome. Somehow I always found the British grooming videos more helpful? And watching the pros at your barn is also a great way to learn!

I would recommend practicing during the off season so there is time for the mistakes to grow out. It took me a few tries to get the mane right, but now? Please, look out, pros, I'm coming. Clipping, however, is a different story. None of us can figure out how the grooms manage to do *perfect* clipping jobs on every horse, every time, and many of us clip our own at least once a year. (NOT during show season! We live in a warm place, so horses are typically clipped by grooms once in the early fall for the final few horse shows, and again mid-winter by their owners so they can be kept in work, and the really hairy ones are clipped again in early spring when they go back into jump work so they don't overheat).

Default grooming, where to learn all the good stuff

I used to board in a very large boarding stable with a number of hunter-jumper trainers. The latino grooms these trainers employed have a treasure trove of information on preparing horses for the show. I'm going to bet they don't tell you about the body clip thing though.....that would cut into the potential to earn extra money.

City of delusion in the state of total denial

The best tip on clipping I ever received came from one of my old farm's grooms, a Latino guy who has forgotten more than I may ever know. He was kind enough to take time from his busy schedule as he walked past where I was body clipping and asked me if I wanted to see a way to do it better, faster. Especially kind as I did all my own grooming- I don't know that he knew who I was, outside of "girl who has Tip."

If you can't watch the pros do it, I second (one hundredth?) Grooming to Win and YouTube.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

Quote Originally Posted by mpsbarnmanager View Post
    Get the book "Grooming to Win". It covers EVERYTHING! Just remember to go little by little. You will feel a huge sense of accomplishment, and save money!!!
    Darn, Was just about to post this! Great book! Everyone should have one.
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

I just ordered my copy on eBay for $4

So Renn-what was the tip for the better and faster body clip?
    Member-Arab Dressage Riders Clique
    RIP Barichello

City of delusion in the state of total denial

Quote Originally Posted by Puddin Pie View Post
    So Renn-what was the tip for the better and faster body clip?
    At least when using a smaller clipper (I use Andis) make shorter strokes and change direction frequently, backwards and forwards, over large areas like the haunches and neck to minimize lines. Making long sweeps, I find it difficult to keep the pressure consistent over these areas, leading to lines. Making shorter strokes and going over them several times in various directions really did help.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG