The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What's your favorite shirt for recognized shows when coats are waived?

I'm currently shopping and would love some ideas!

I love the Romfh competitor shirts! They are moisture-wicking and have a cool magnetic collar that can be done up to look like a regular show shirt for when coats are not waived, and a cute collared shirt look when opened up for when they are Colors are available, but I have a white shirt with a very light grey collar (looks white when closed), that is long sleeve. I find that I stay cooler with the white long sleeves that have the mesh under arm panels than I am with s short-sleeved shirt.

Long sleeve: http://www.marystack.com/romfh-compe...how-shirt.html

Short sleeve (and shows it closed up too: http://www.onestopequineshop.com/Rom...t_p_12123.html
    The only thing the government needs to solve all of its problems is a Council of Common Sense.

1 members found this post helpful.

PERFECT timing for this question! I'd like to know the answer, too.

I would really NOT like to wear all white and resemble the "Extra Fluffy Stay-Puff Marshmallow (wo)Man"...LOL.

I have the Kerrits ventilator shirts...but know that you can't wear the pattern ones. Wondering if the other solid 'colors' are allowed like this one in "celery":

http://www.kerrits.com/Equestrian-Ap...sey-3p5763.htm
    Heather
    Green Cove Springs, FL

Quote Originally Posted by Dramapony_misty View Post
    I love the Romfh competitor shirts! They are moisture-wicking and have a cool magnetic collar that can be done up to look like a regular show shirt for when coats are not waived, and a cute collared shirt look when opened up for when they are Colors are available, but I have a white shirt with a very light grey collar (looks white when closed), that is long sleeve. I find that I stay cooler with the white long sleeves that have the mesh under arm panels than I am with s short-sleeved shirt.

Long sleeve: http://www.marystack.com/romfh-compe...how-shirt.html

Short sleeve (and shows it closed up too: http://www.onestopequineshop.com/Rom...t_p_12123.html
    Those are cute! Do they run true to size?

Last edited by MYalterID; Apr. 23, 2013 at 01:14 PM. Reason: double post

Golf polls from TJMaxx. Great colors,moisture wicking, built for movement and about $15 or so. Just got some Calloway brand for $15 -20 each.

I have the Kerrits in white. If it's hot enough I'm not wearing the jacket, I would prefer not wearing my polo shirts either!

I am waiting for a couple of cooling vests to show up - I would look into their legality when jackets are waived to use them over plain, solid colored shirts for those 90+ rides.
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

FITS or Goode Rider are the best!
    "I'm holding out for the $100,000 Crossrail Classic in 2012." --mem
    "With all due respect.. may I suggest you take up Croquet?" --belambi
    Proud Member of the Opinionated Redhead Club!

Quote Originally Posted by MYalterID View Post
    Those are cute! Do they run true to size?
    They seem to for me. I'm a 34 shirt and take a small. I could do a medium, but the body is a bit big on me.
    The only thing the government needs to solve all of its problems is a Council of Common Sense.

I too like the Kerrits ventilator shirts and show in the white one. I have a black cooling vest that I wear over it when Im not wearing my coat. The shirt is very cool. I am very heat intolerant and the shirt wicks away sweat.

Is a shirt with side panels permitted? Like:http://equusunlimited.com/romfh/romf...FUNlMgod3HUAOg

Coats are rarely waived here but I love my Pikeur show shirt with crystal buttons. I have it in grey, it's subtle and pretty. They are spendy here - around $100 - but if you have some other things to order to make the shipping worth it they're a great deal on Calevo.

http://www.calevo.com/cgi-bin/calevo...e/2060406.html

Quote Originally Posted by netg View Post
    I have the Kerrits in white. If it's hot enough I'm not wearing the jacket, I would prefer not wearing my polo shirts either!

I am waiting for a couple of cooling vests to show up - I would look into their legality when jackets are waived to use them over plain, solid colored shirts for those 90+ rides.
    Oh, they are NOT cotton - I HATE cotton! Nice tech fabric, very wicking.

1 members found this post helpful.

Well I tried the Goode Rider Ideal shirt and the hem is too short. I'm tall (5'11") and don't want to have to worry about keeping my shirt tucked in all the time. Any suggestions for a longer hemmed shirt?

I have a smartpak brand show shirt, and it is just fabulous. My favorite so far. It stays pretty clean, and is super super cool. Moisture-wicking without the thick fabric. And it's a good price. I love them!

Sort of off topic-
    My barn doesn't allow no jacket- regardless of show ruling. Stating- if your to hot to wear coat for 6 minutes, maybe it's unfair to ask horse to perform, your choice.
    Do most of you ride under a trainer ?

I do ride with a trainer, in Texas, and I would not be going for that policy at all. Horses shed their winter coats and can be body-clipped, hosed off, etc. Why can't we shed our coats when it's 90+ degrees? And what about riders who have multiple horses to ride or don't have a ground person to hold their coats during warm-up? That would be a lot more than 6 minutes of baking in a coat. No thanks! My trainer is just as happy as we are when coats are waived.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Ltc4h View Post
    Sort of off topic-
    My barn doesn't allow no jacket- regardless of show ruling. Stating- if your to hot to wear coat for 6 minutes, maybe it's unfair to ask horse to perform, your choice.
    Do most of you ride under a trainer ?
    When I showed H/J my trainer had the same policy for the hunters. I don't think it really matters one way or the other. My trainer always thought you made a much better impression and looked much nicer if you wore your jacket, which is true, I guess. But, if the judge waives jackets, then they shouldn't judge those wearing jackets any different than those not wearing jackets.

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

Quote Originally Posted by RedmondDressage View Post
    Coats are rarely waived here but I love my Pikeur show shirt with crystal buttons. I have it in grey, it's subtle and pretty. They are spendy here - around $100 - but if you have some other things to order to make the shipping worth it they're a great deal on Calevo.

http://www.calevo.com/cgi-bin/calevo...e/2060406.html
    You beat me to it - I have two of those (pale blue and pale lavender.) They are very comfortable and I think they are flattering. I found mine on Ebay for around $50 each, NWT.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

Wearing a coat when coats have been waived because your trainer made you is STUPID. I would tell my trainer that they could either coach me without my coat or I could coach myself and find another trainer! If you want to make that decision on your own go ahead.

Horses have summer and winter coats and we wouldn't expect our horses to perform well in 90 degree weather in their winter coats.

You can also try asking the judges who would much rather see you without your coat than with.