The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by VaqueroToro View Post
    I do agree with your cats = teenager evaluation though! Very true.
    Yes, but cats and the Husband who can train 'em make a good point: "You can train any creature so long as you have something they want."

Maybe teens and cats aren't actually so tough. We just haven't figured out how to bargain with things they want. IMO, you *can* always find something they want... but you have to stick to the "price" you set for that thing. Then with teens/cats it becomes merely, "How much time do you have?" You have to "detach with love" and be sure to let the price become their problem, not yours.

No need to be worn down by a cat.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Quote Originally Posted by pAin't_Misbehavin' View Post
    Yes. DH is a cat person. He grew up with 48 of the creatures, because he lived on a farm with lots of outbuildings and they needed that many to keep down vermin. He understands cats way better than I ever will, since I didn't get my first cat until I was an adult. He has both of ours trained to come when called, sit, fetch, lie down, etc.

I, OTOH, have spent my entire life in the company of at least one, and for years, dozens, of dogs. I know what a dog is thinking sometimes before it does.

It's worked out beautifully. I have gained a huge appreciation for cats through DH - who knew you could train the things? - and DH, whose early experiences with dogs was limited to either the Carolina Ditch Dog sort or shy hunting hounds, neither of which ever lived in the house with humans, has been equally surprised to learn what great personalities they have and, more fascinating to him, the rules and social customs canines observe amongst themselves.

We finally got a dog who actually prefers DH to me! And DH is very very pleased with the little guy (oddly, a silly Brittany who would be over-the-top hyper if he didn't live with a pack of border collies). I doubt we'll ever have a cat who prefers me to DH, though. He's a cat magnet.

DH and I are definitely different personality types. He's more the introverted intellectual and I'm an extrovert who rarely reads anything deeper than murder mysteries. I don't know if our personality types influenced the animal we're most comfortable with though - or if maybe our early associations with the animals influenced the personality type we developed?
    Do you think you could get your DH to start a thread here about how to train a cat? I would LOVE to train mine to sit, fetch, etc. The only time I tried to teach one of mine to sit, I held up the treat, she walked over to me to get it, I said "Sit," and when she sat I gave her the treat. The next time I held up a treat and said "Sit," she sat down where she was--halfway across the room--and looked at the treat 'til I gave it to her! She had me trained in one go!
    Rack on!

Quote Originally Posted by Rackonteur View Post
    Do you think you could get your DH to start a thread here about how to train a cat? I would LOVE to train mine to sit, fetch, etc. The only time I tried to teach one of mine to sit, I held up the treat, she walked over to me to get it, I said "Sit," and when she sat I gave her the treat. The next time I held up a treat and said "Sit," she sat down where she was--halfway across the room--and looked at the treat 'til I gave it to her! She had me trained in one go!
    I doubt DH will start a thread - but I'll ask him for his techniques. I know he doesn't use treats.
    Here's what I've observed: To get them to come, he does some kind of little finger-waving thing at them and says "puss" in kind of a high-pitched voice. After he gets their attention and they start towards him, he says "come." After they arrive, they get petted or a lap to sit in or a face-bump or whatever that particular feline likes. Once they get the idea, he just calls them by their name and says "come." That way, they know which one you want.

To get them to sit, I think he does a rapid little finger-wave over their heads. To get a good look, they have to sit down. Then as they sit, DH says "Sit" and praises/pets/whatever.

Every indoor cat I have and all that I have had since getting my own place in 1997 has been taught these feline commandments.

1. Thou shalt not step upon the keyboard. (I type for a living. When you're live in a hospital database, a trip can be a lot more than a cute typo.)

2. Thou shalt not cross the line in the table onto my end while I am eating.

3. Thou shalt not covet the lap upon which a previous cat is already installed when I am at my desk.

All of them, including her Imperial Independence Rosalind, learned these and follow them. Just takes some consistency; cats are trainable. But I admire that independence, too, and I only insist on obedience on things that matter. Every one of the 3 commandments has a purpose, one beyond just "because I said so." The cats also know "no" and "wait."

See my comment on a recent thread somewhere with the turkey dinner demonstration. Some poster didn't believe me about meal time and wanted photographic proof, so I got a turkey dinner and the camera to demonstrate. All cats neatly toeing the line. Coveting, definitely, but nobody crossed to my end.

1 members found this post helpful.

Cats are my people.

Quote Originally Posted by alabama View Post
    From what I know of meezers (I've only had two), they are one person cats. And since I was always that one person, I LOVED that.

I'm a cat person. Have had cats all my life. I find dogs too needy. Two of my least favorite cats are very needy - constantly meowing at me, in my face or rubbing on me. UGH! I sit down and BOOM, there there are, all "hi! hi! here I am! Pet me!!!" Ugh. If I wanted a dog, I'd have one.
    Dogs too needy?
    Try a real terrier.

Oh, teaching a cat to sit? I just use treats. They also seem to learn by observing the dogs.

OK, so I asked DH for his cat-training secrets.

He said "Get a cat you like, who also likes you. Pay it a lot of attention. Pretty soon, it will do what you want it to do. Just don't ever let it use your hand for a chew/scratch toy."

Quote Originally Posted by pAin't_Misbehavin' View Post
    He said "Get a cat you like, who also likes you. Pay it a lot of attention. Pretty soon, it will do what you want it to do. Just don't ever let it use your hand for a chew/scratch toy."
    The same advice applies during voir dire at a trial. Check out the portential jurors. Figure out who you like. Psychologists say that's reciprocal, so chances are that you'll do ok with someone who give you a good vibe.

See? Just like with cats.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

I've always been an "animal person". That said, I know cats and have owned many in my life. I love cats. I'm highly allergic (Hopkins keeps asking for more of my "special blood" to research LOL!) to cats, but I'm also allergic to dogs. I have two cats and one dog. I cannot live happily without animals in my life.

The dog is new - and I have researched breeds and characteristics of various breeds for about two years prior to settling on a Miniature Schnauzer. I needed a dog that would work well in our family unit, be good with our son, and who would perhaps be a good candidate for helping me in my private practice. I like the tenacity of terriers, and especially enjoy any dog that works - so far, no live animals have been harmed, but one large purple Kong Do-Do has really taken a shakin'! It cracks me up watching this 13 week puppy attack such a large "critter"!

Even within the MS breed, there are so many bloodlines, and I specifically wanted a NON-yappy dog that was capable of having his own time in his own space (crate). I got our little guy from the same breeder that the poster GraceLikeRain got hers from simply due to how she described the disposition of her Dexter. I am an introvert (some folks have said I'm nearing hermit-status), and I knew I could not handle a lab or (God help me!) a Golden Retriever! The neediness is irritating and NOT cool at all!

Sirius has been a joy and a VERY quick learner! I look forward to completing his vaccines so we can begin obedience classes and earn our Canine Good Citizen, and then move into the specifics of training as a therapy dog. Our cats are still trying to figure out what this fresh hell is, but I believe in time, they will all enjoy one another.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people.
    W. C. Fields

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    The same advice applies during voir dire at a trial. Check out the portential jurors. Figure out who you like. Psychologists say that's reciprocal, so chances are that you'll do ok with someone who give you a good vibe.

See? Just like with cats.
    Come to think of it, that's true. We don't have jury trials in family court, which is where I practice most of the time. But in the few jury trials I've gotten to do - once I eliminate the obvious ones (e.g. yes, yr honor, I support the death penalty for jaywalkers), I use any remaining strikes for folks I just.don't.like.

Woke up this morning with one cat on my head, one on my chest, cheek resting against mine, and two more on my stomach & legs... yep, I'm a cat person

I have 3 giant breed dogs whom I love beyond reason, so of course I love both dogs & cats, but by nature I'm more of a cat person - and my personality is quiet & introverted for the record.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcadien View Post
    Woke up this morning with one cat on my head, one on my chest, cheek resting against mine, and two more on my stomach & legs... yep, I'm a cat person

I have 3 giant breed dogs whom I love beyond reason, so of course I love both dogs & cats, but by nature I'm more of a cat person - and my personality is quiet & introverted for the record.
    Maybe if the cats weren't such good settlers, you'd wake up with dogs strangling you/weighing you down. Would that change your vote?

Personally, I'd like to wake up pinned down by cats.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Oh yes, I'm sure you can train cats! I don't know anything about cats, but I trained the one who lives with us not to EVER get on the kitchen island where we prepare food and sometimes eat.
    It was easy. Cat jumped on the island, I yelled NO! OFF! and threw her off unceremoniously. I only had to do this twice. I caught her at it a 3rd time but all I had to do was yell OFF!
    And I don't think she does it when I'm not around, because I have left food on there that she likes, and that had not been touched at all.

I haven't bee able to get her to NOT scratch the cloth furniture when I'm not in the room tho. If I hear her doing it while I'm in the next room, I'll yell and she'll stop. But when I'm not there to yell, all bets are off. Grrr.
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!