The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 54
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Dec. 20, 2011
    Posts
    1,192

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oliverreed View Post
    Totally a cat person. Currently have 5, God help me. I don't like "yes men." Dogs are too needy and IMHO too much work. For some reason I have no problem cleaning litter boxes but the smell of dog poo - GROSS GROSS GROSS.
    It's amusing -- the dog folks here who have complained about cat biological functions probably don't find their dog's biological functions objectionable in the least.

    It's like parents -- most will hold hair while their kid gets sick, change diapers, etc, without issue. Pet owners are the same -- clean the litter boxes, scoop up poop, wipe up vomit from various surfaces, etc.

    @mvp: I've never liked the smell of dog; I agree with you on that. However, I absolutely love the smell of my two cats' bellies (giving them belly raspberries is one of the tortures I inflict on them frequently).


    2 members found this post helpful.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Dec. 31, 2009
    Location
    Area 51
    Posts
    1,647

    Default

    I'm a cat and chicken person. Dogs have too much "loud" energy both literally and figuratively for me, as I'm a quiet person and I don't like how physical dogs are in regards to jumping, licking, goosing etc. but I work at a clinic and rarely see well behaved, controlled dogs.
    I LOVE my Chickens!


    4 members found this post helpful.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Jul. 31, 2007
    Posts
    15,297

    Default

    ^^^

    Yup, hate the sound effects of licking/chewing on oneself.

    And now I have a cat with polyps somewhere in her nose. Snoring, loud-a$$ grooming at night when things are quiet and we are in bed. So not having it. The cat will get a "Yo! You with the heinous sound-effects. Cut it out!" kick.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat


    2 members found this post helpful.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Jul. 21, 2006
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    5,003

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    A man who can train a cat. That's totally sexy, don't you think?

    Momma, raise your boys to commune with cats so that they can get the ladies.
    There may be something to that. DH always says you can train any creature to do anything - so long as you have something it wants.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Jul. 19, 2007
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    10,440

    Default

    I like dogs as pets, cats because they're pets that are convenient. (If I go away for three days, the cats will survive, I'll just have messy boxes to clean. Dogs need to be accommodated.)

    If I could only have one, though, I'd still take dogs, inconvenience and all. But really, why choose?

    (And no, I like dogs better and the poop is still worse. I do my best to only deal with it when it's not remotely fresh or make sure they poop where I can leave it. Of course, I don't live in the city. Would that the dogs would learn to use the litter box and bury it...)



  6. #26
    Join Date
    Sep. 27, 2000
    Location
    Southern California - on a freeway someplace
    Posts
    9,733

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vacation1 View Post
    Cat people will jump into your lap and purr for 2.47 minutes, then claw your arm and lurk under the table for an hour, glaring. Well, not literally, but sometimes you get the strong feeling this all just happened.

    I'm a dog person (maybe obvious? ) but I see our faults too - lots of noise, action, screaming and general public failures to control our chosen pets. I envy cat people the fact that nobody expects anyone to control a cat, let alone extract obedience from one.
    For some reason this post made me think of the cat friend vs. dog friend video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbycvPwr1Wg
    The Evil Chem Prof



  7. #27
    Join Date
    Oct. 28, 2007
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    4,187

    Default

    Animal person, which ever one suits my environment, so cats when I work long hours and can't walk a dog. Dog when I have the ability to give it what it needs physically (long walks, runs etc).
    More and more as I get older all animals appear to be the same, they all have personalities, feelings, drama, wants, have friends and enemies and have their things that make them happy or fearful. They come in different bodies but they all seem to speak the same language to me.
    I am pet-less now and must say I appreciate not having the vet costs right now.



  8. #28
    Join Date
    Feb. 27, 2004
    Location
    Posts
    1,034

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by VaqueroToro View Post
    This!
    Most dogs remind me of little kids, and I'm not a little kids kind of person. I do enjoy spending time with the dogs at the barn, but I'm very thankful I get to leave them behind when I go.
    Dog person here, cats remind me of teenagers- its all about me , me, me, leave me, me alone, I'm going to just ignore you until you go away, what! I'm sleeping! Go away! . LOL!



  9. #29
    Join Date
    Jun. 14, 2006
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    11,372

    Default

    I am a dog person. A BIG dog person. More specifically, I like a dog that is pretty stoic/tolerant, easy going, active, happy/friendly towards people and other dogs, etc.

    There are very few small dogs that I enjoy being around but I think that's mostly due to the people on the other end of the leash/how the dogs get treated (ie: they don't know they're dogs). The horse people I know who have little dogs seem to have nice ones (different breeds, not just JRT's and Corgis LOL) but I honestly can't think of one small breed dog I've handled in the last two months at work that I didn't want to punt into the next county and they represent the majority of dogs we see.

    I'm not a huge fan of kitties, but I don't dislike them. I grew up with cats but developed pretty major allergies to them so it's just not pleasant for me to be around them. And again, at work, most of the time they are PISSED OFF so they represent danger for me. LOL

    I agree with others that having a dog is a lot like having a kiddo in the house. An ever 3YO child. You have to be mindful of leaving things out that could be tempting, have to stick to schedules (feeding, walking, etc) and you can't just up and go travel without making more substantial arrangements compared to a kitty.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

    Might be a reason, never an excuse...



  10. #30
    Join Date
    Dec. 20, 2011
    Posts
    1,192

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Peggy View Post
    For some reason this post made me think of the cat friend vs. dog friend video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbycvPwr1Wg
    OMG! Too funny!

    Quote Originally Posted by hastyreply View Post
    Dog person here, cats remind me of teenagers- its all about me , me, me, leave me, me alone, I'm going to just ignore you until you go away, what! I'm sleeping! Go away! . LOL!
    I get along with teenagers better than I do little kids, so I guess that might be why I like cats better. I do agree with your cats = teenager evaluation though! Very true.



  11. #31
    Join Date
    Mar. 10, 2009
    Posts
    5,493

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kari View Post
    I am a dog person.
    I currently have 6 dogs living in my house.
    Three are mine, one is hubby's, and daughter and son each have one too.
    Love the unconditional love that you get from a dog, and love the different personalities in each and every one of them.
    Not a big fan of cats, I see a use for them as barn cats, but hate a cat in the house.
    The smell of cat $hit makes me ill.
    That doesn't need to be in the house. Eew.
    Kittens are cute though.
    The trouble with a kitten is that
    Eventually it becomes a cat.
    -Ogden Nash


    1 members found this post helpful.

  12. #32
    Join Date
    Jan. 4, 2007
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    40,944

    Default

    Equal opportunity household here, both are equally welcome.

    Being allergic to both, right now only have one little, slick, easy to keep clean dog, but miss a cat.
    I am more allergic to cats and cats are harder than this dog to keep as clean of what I am allergic to, but I still would like to have one.



  13. #33
    Join Date
    Jun. 18, 2007
    Posts
    4,046

    Default

    Definitely a cat person. I recently had my first dog that was "mine" (a few "family" dogs in childhood), and she was fine, but she was also carefully chosen to certain criteria. And if it came down to having to pick one species, the cats would get it.

    And yes, I'm an independent-minded introvert.

    That said, I love the variety in cats. Some are more sociable; some more regal and aloof. I keep a mixed pride these days of pedigreed Siamese and shelter/ex-street cats. All three of the Meezers are much stronger personalities than the Heinz 57, yet all three of them are quite distinct from each other.

    But when HRH Rosalind, who is Queen Victoria in cat fur and constantly aghast and ruffled at the impositions of the world upon her dignity, flips herself upside down in my lap and purrs (which she does maybe twice a day as the mood strikes her), it's a neat feeling. She only does it for me, no other person. And I cannot do that to her. If I try to pick her up and flip her, she will lacerate me. It is entirely her choice. But that makes me her chosen. Like someone above said, a dog will take whoever is in their world, but cats have standards, and it's nice to know you have passed inspection.


    2 members found this post helpful.

  14. #34
    Join Date
    Jun. 7, 2002
    Posts
    3,840

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Peggy View Post
    For some reason this post made me think of the cat friend vs. dog friend video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbycvPwr1Wg
    HAHAHA! Too funny.

    I think of myself as a dog person, but now I'm not so sure I really am, since I can't stand yappers / beggers / biters / love-everyone / licking / drooling / smelly / no-manners dogs.
    My dog doesn't smell, doesn't bark, is only needy when I need her to be, will go riding / biking/ hiking / walking with me, is trained in the basics (come, sit, stop, stay, lie down, drop it, go get.. , go, go back.), is only interested in me, really.

    I don't mind cats, the cat who lives in our house right now isn't bad, really, but I resent having to clean the litterbox. Yuck. Similarly, I hated changing my own babies' diapers. I'd much rather clean a stall, lol.

    For the people who compare dogs to kids....(well behaved) Dogs are so much easier than kids!
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!



  15. #35
    Join Date
    Oct. 29, 2007
    Location
    TN
    Posts
    1,870

    Default

    I'm with Mara. The only cats I like are the ones that act like dogs.

    Soo yeah I'm a dog person. It's killing me that I can't have one for a while. I'm willing to put in the walks and time with a needy dog because what can I say? I like being loved!
    "Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out." ~John Wooden

    Phoenix Animal Rescue



  16. #36
    Join Date
    Mar. 10, 2009
    Posts
    5,493

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kateh View Post
    I'm with Mara. The only cats I like are the ones that act like dogs.

    Soo yeah I'm a dog person. It's killing me that I can't have one for a while. I'm willing to put in the walks and time with a needy dog because what can I say? I like being loved!
    Me too, which is why we have 2 dogs.

    Then again, there are times like tonight's walk, which featured Lance taking a dump directly on Simon's head. It was totally Simon's fault - Lance was already crouching with visible poo, and Simon decided he just HAD to check out the ground directly under Lance's butt. The reason I didn't immediately pull Simon back is because I thought, "no way, surely not." Sigh. Guess who got his head scrubbed down with alcohol wipes tonight?



  17. #37
    Join Date
    Apr. 14, 2001
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    16,583

    Default

    I'm a dog person. There's nothing I like better than walking with my dogs off lead and having a bond with them. Last year, we were hiking with Koa, who was off lead. She spotted a deer and took off running. When I called her, she skidded to a halt. I LOVE that sort of connection and "sync." It's nearly psychic. They are a piece of me.

    I also have kitties, but they're not nearly as willing to connect as the dogs.

    There is a photo of Karen von Blixen--she out Out of Africa fame--with her Scottish Deer Hounds that epitomizes the human/dog relationship for me. Sadly, I cannot find it online. In it, though, you can clearly see the bond and the sync and the reach between the woman and her dogs.



  18. #38
    Join Date
    Jan. 4, 2007
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    40,944

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post
    I'm a dog person. There's nothing I like better than walking with my dogs off lead and having a bond with them. Last year, we were hiking with Koa, who was off lead. She spotted a deer and took off running. When I called her, she skidded to a halt. I LOVE that sort of connection and "sync." It's nearly psychic. They are a piece of me.

    I also have kitties, but they're not nearly as willing to connect as the dogs.

    There is a photo of Karen von Blixen--she out Out of Africa fame--with her Scottish Deer Hounds that epitomizes the human/dog relationship for me. Sadly, I cannot find it online. In it, though, you can clearly see the bond and the sync and the reach between the woman and her dogs.
    I am both, dog and cat person and disagree you can't have the same connection with a cat as with a dog, each one according to who they are as a species, but still a very clear understanding of who each one is.

    I dare you refute a cat can't connect with humans as a dog may:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	232323232fp347>nu=3235>689>732>WSNRCG=3234-3<44375-nu0mrj.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	15.0 KB 
ID:	38034  



  19. #39
    Join Date
    Jun. 18, 2007
    Posts
    4,046

    Default

    Must admit, it always amuses me that some dog people say they are totally grossed out by the idea of cleaning a cat litter box while their own dogs would be MORE than happy to help out there.

    Now THAT is a pet behavior that grosses me out.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  20. #40
    Join Date
    Aug. 12, 2002
    Location
    Calera, AL
    Posts
    1,901

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dressagetraks View Post
    Definitely a cat person. I recently had my first dog that was "mine" (a few "family" dogs in childhood), and she was fine, but she was also carefully chosen to certain criteria. And if it came down to having to pick one species, the cats would get it.

    And yes, I'm an independent-minded introvert.

    That said, I love the variety in cats. Some are more sociable; some more regal and aloof. I keep a mixed pride these days of pedigreed Siamese and shelter/ex-street cats. All three of the Meezers are much stronger personalities than the Heinz 57, yet all three of them are quite distinct from each other.

    But when HRH Rosalind, who is Queen Victoria in cat fur and constantly aghast and ruffled at the impositions of the world upon her dignity, flips herself upside down in my lap and purrs (which she does maybe twice a day as the mood strikes her), it's a neat feeling. She only does it for me, no other person. And I cannot do that to her. If I try to pick her up and flip her, she will lacerate me. It is entirely her choice. But that makes me her chosen. Like someone above said, a dog will take whoever is in their world, but cats have standards, and it's nice to know you have passed inspection.
    From what I know of meezers (I've only had two), they are one person cats. And since I was always that one person, I LOVED that.

    I'm a cat person. Have had cats all my life. I find dogs too needy. Two of my least favorite cats are very needy - constantly meowing at me, in my face or rubbing on me. UGH! I sit down and BOOM, there there are, all "hi! hi! here I am! Pet me!!!" Ugh. If I wanted a dog, I'd have one.
    "Dogs are man's best friend. Cats are man's adorable little serial killer." -- theoatmeal.com



Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 37
    Last Post: Apr. 7, 2013, 07:05 PM
  2. Replies: 77
    Last Post: Aug. 13, 2012, 09:24 AM
  3. Replies: 116
    Last Post: Jan. 2, 2011, 04:04 PM
  4. Replies: 4
    Last Post: Dec. 27, 2010, 06:49 PM
  5. Replies: 60
    Last Post: Aug. 28, 2009, 09:21 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
randomness