The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Bringing this down from Off Topic- Cat people vrs Dog People

I didn't start the thread but it seemed like an interesting one.

Anyway, are you a cat person or a dog person?

I am definitely a cat person. We have a dog at my house who belongs to my in-laws who live with us, but while I do like him, I would be just as fine not having him. My cats, however, I couldn't be without

Do you think there are differences in the personalities of people who are dog people vrs cat people?
    “While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats.” Mark Twain

1 members found this post helpful.

Definitely a dog person.

I like some cats, but those would be the cats that behave like dogs (my in-laws have a cat like that). I wouldn't have one, though, because of litter box stink. I can always tell if someone has a cat - no matter how diligent they are about keeping the box clean, I can still smell it.

I would say that if I absolutely had to choose between them, it would be hard but I guess a dog would slightly edge out a cat. I grew up with cats only, but in college adopted the best dog ever. She's sadly gone, but I now have 2 others who are vying for the role. But, I'd rather have both cats and dogs - life is more complete that way.
    “Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of Solitaire. It is a grand passion.” ~Emerson

Cat.

I like dogs and grew up with the best Black Lab ever, but after awhile, their neediness gets on my nerves. I like an independent pet that is just fine with cuddles once or twice a day, instead of constantly.
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by tabula rashah View Post
    Do you think there are differences in the personalities of people who are dog people vrs cat people?
    Yes. DH is a cat person. He grew up with 48 of the creatures, because he lived on a farm with lots of outbuildings and they needed that many to keep down vermin. He understands cats way better than I ever will, since I didn't get my first cat until I was an adult. He has both of ours trained to come when called, sit, fetch, lie down, etc.

I, OTOH, have spent my entire life in the company of at least one, and for years, dozens, of dogs. I know what a dog is thinking sometimes before it does.

It's worked out beautifully. I have gained a huge appreciation for cats through DH - who knew you could train the things? - and DH, whose early experiences with dogs was limited to either the Carolina Ditch Dog sort or shy hunting hounds, neither of which ever lived in the house with humans, has been equally surprised to learn what great personalities they have and, more fascinating to him, the rules and social customs canines observe amongst themselves.

We finally got a dog who actually prefers DH to me! And DH is very very pleased with the little guy (oddly, a silly Brittany who would be over-the-top hyper if he didn't live with a pack of border collies). I doubt we'll ever have a cat who prefers me to DH, though. He's a cat magnet.

DH and I are definitely different personality types. He's more the introverted intellectual and I'm an extrovert who rarely reads anything deeper than murder mysteries. I don't know if our personality types influenced the animal we're most comfortable with though - or if maybe our early associations with the animals influenced the personality type we developed?

I'm a definite Both person. I adore both as pets and love having one of each in the house.
    They (normally) have completely different personalities, lifestyles and needs and both are fantastic IMO. Accepting each one for exactly what it is for it's own nature makes having both fun and also makes choosing one over the other as a favorite is difficult, at least for me. It would be like comparing a horse to a dog and having to make a choice of a favorite...way too different.

The fun part is there are also exceptions to each species...cats that are more "dog-like" and dogs that are more "cat-like." Some cats are almost pack-like in their personalities...often breeds like Siamese. And some dog breeds can be very "whatever" and independent...like Akitas.

I'm waiting on a kitten now...have been cat-less for too long and am like a kid before Christmas waiting for this kitten to get old enough to 'come home.'
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

3 members found this post helpful.

I too am BOTH. Love cats and their mercurial ways, love dogs and their enthusiasm and loyalty - both species have so many great qualities.

The more one engages either species, the more personality and intelligence will come through.

I don't understand people who dislike cats, or dogs, or cats and dogs.

I am so much a dog person. But I am also an animal person, so I like cats. I do prefer them when they live with other people, but I like having them around. Does that make sense? They-well, one of ours-drives me NUTS! He'd be so cool if he lived with someone else. He's snuggly and puts up with quite a bit, but also provokes me into calling him bad names because he can also be a huge jerk. I like watching them nap and watch birds, but I HATE the one who goes on the counters, and when he gets cranky before meals and smacks the dogs around out of frustration. And the evil one also gets into ANYTHING. We have childproof locks on all the cupboards with food. The other one is more timid and hides out a lot, has certain times of the day when he is snuggly, and isn't a huge jerk. He was the stray, we actually paid to adopt the jackass. And I am allergic to cats.

Dogs are needy, and sometimes that does drive me crazy. Especially if they think they are going for a walk right now and proceed to follow me from room to room. AUGH! But I could live without a cat, and I would not want to be without a dog. ( We were catless until a stray showed up in the hay shed, ended up inside on a bitter cold evening, and was our inddor/outdoor cat until he was hit by a car. I actually bugged DH to get a house cat and after awhile gave up and was fine. Then he decided we had to stop at the HS one day. Then stray number 2 happened along and promptly was let inside.)

I could live without horses and cats, but not without a dog. My sister is the same way. She also has 3 dogs and 2 cats.

I have to say I am a dog person. My dogs are family and I couldn`t be without that.

But I do love kitties too. But I let them be themselves. My house cat does not cuddle, but lets me get a 30 second hug in once in a while. The outdoor cat that lives in our large garage is more of a lover, but prefers headbutting my DH to cuddles with me. I guess I`m too needy for cats, lol.

I'm a rabbit person.

I joke with the SO that we should start charging admission to our zoo (okay, it's only 2 cats, one rabbit, soon to be two horses, and a crap ton of fish), so I get along with pretty much animal.

I used to be a dog only person - I did not like cats at all. My boyfriend ended up getting a kitten, and we ended up having to get another one so we could both have something to cuddle. Now I can't imagine life without them around.

I do like the fact that dogs will play with me as much as I want. I am very hands on, and sometimes the cats get a bit overwhelmed: "Go away mom!"

But my rabbit, he is a different story. He can do no wrong in my eyes. I adore him. If I could, I would take him with me everywhere. I will never be without a rabbit from now on. They are my "heart" creatures.

I am a both person, without a doubt.
    Don't tell me about what you can't do. That's boring. Show me what you can do. - Mom

Quote Originally Posted by tabula rashah View Post
    Cat people will jump into your lap and purr for 2.47 minutes, then claw your arm and lurk under the table for an hour, glaring. Well, not literally, but sometimes you get the strong feeling this all just happened.

I'm a dog person (maybe obvious? ) but I see our faults too - lots of noise, action, screaming and general public failures to control our chosen pets. I envy cat people the fact that nobody expects anyone to control a cat, let alone extract obedience from one.

I'm a dog person. Maybe it's because I grew up in a dog household with a father who is allergic to cats. I've had my Beagle mix for 4 years now and she's one of the best things that's ever happened to me.

My SO is a cat person. His first cat we had I HATED. He was cranky and pissed all over my stuff. He passed away a few years ago and we got a cat together a few months ago. I definitely love my cat. I'm still leery of cats in general though.
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

Quote Originally Posted by pAin't_Misbehavin' View Post
    He has both of ours trained to come when called, sit, fetch, lie down, etc.
    A man who can train a cat. That's totally sexy, don't you think?

Momma, raise your boys to commune with cats so that they can get the ladies.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

5 members found this post helpful.

I like both but it totally depends on their personalities, I've had cats that behave like dogs and cats that have only ever come anywhere near me when they want food.
    The only reason I've had cats recently and not a dog is that I'm working full time at the minute but I'd love to have a dog again.

I thought I was a cat person till I got the right type of dog breed suited to me. My parents dog (and the dog I grew up with) was a Spaniel, HYPER, needy, super sweet and affectionate however I just could not handle the energy level and therefore swore I was a cat person.

I got a Boston Terrier almost two years ago and since then I am definitely a DOG person, however my little guy is a little cross between a cat and a pig hehe so not quite sure if I can consider myself a full-fledged one or the other. But I do love my dog.
    Member OMGiH I loff my mares clique!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RedMare01 View Post
    Cat.

I like dogs and grew up with the best Black Lab ever, but after awhile, their neediness gets on my nerves. I like an independent pet that is just fine with cuddles once or twice a day, instead of constantly.
    This!
    Most dogs remind me of little kids, and I'm not a little kids kind of person. I do enjoy spending time with the dogs at the barn, but I'm very thankful I get to leave them behind when I go.

I am a dog person.
    I currently have 6 dogs living in my house.
    Three are mine, one is hubby's, and daughter and son each have one too.
    Love the unconditional love that you get from a dog, and love the different personalities in each and every one of them.
    Not a big fan of cats, I see a use for them as barn cats, but hate a cat in the house.
    The smell of cat $hit makes me ill.
    That doesn't need to be in the house. Eew.
    Kittens are cute though.
    ~Rest in Peace Woody...1975-2008~

Quote Originally Posted by VaqueroToro View Post
    This!
    Most dogs remind me of little kids, and I'm not a little kids kind of person. I do enjoy spending time with the dogs at the barn, but I'm very thankful I get to leave them behind when I go.
    I like cats for the same reason.

They are the best possible combination of adult + object + sucker.

With a cat, you have an equal who chooses you. If a dog likes you, well, No Sh!t..... we bred them to be needy. So when a cat likes you, you were likeable not just around.

And you can treat them like objects! Pet 'em when you want. Leave to go to work when you want. They'll roll with that. You couldn't do that with a dog, a child.... or an adult.

They are suckers--- hedonists for luv and fun. It's not too hard to please a cat.

Also, your cloth sofa and car don't have to reek of dog if you have a cat.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

4 members found this post helpful.

Totally a cat person. Currently have 5, God help me. I don't like "yes men." Dogs are too needy and IMHO too much work. For some reason I have no problem cleaning litter boxes but the smell of dog poo - GROSS GROSS GROSS.
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

5 members found this post helpful.