The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Rolex question -- can you check your dog?

Does Rolex have a dog creche/kennel/whatever-you-call-it?

I'm planning to be at KHP on Thursday. As my SO is unable to feed or care for the dog -- it's 'too complicated', says the consultant to NASA -- I was thinking I'd take her with me.

My dog is a happy little dunce but she's not exactly horsey or outdoorsy. Also, I was planning to run the course with my sister and olympicdreams04, and Dolly is not a runner.

Do they have a place where you can stash your dog? If so, how does one locate it?

According to the website:

Dogs

While dogs are welcome at the Rolex Kentucky Three-Day Event, they must be kept on a leash and, with the exception of certified guide or assistance dogs, are not permitted in any of the tented hospitality areas, or in any Grandstand. Dogs are not permitted in the Alltech Arena for any portion of the Kentucky Reining Cup.

The Lexington Humane Society will have a station set up where your dog will be looked after for a donation appropriate to the time your dog is lodged. There will be no special parking concessions for vehicles containing dogs, and distressed dogs will be removed from vehicles, by whatever means necessary, by Animal Control and/or Event Security.

http://www.rk3de.org/ticket_info.html
    I've spent most of my life riding horses. The rest I've just wasted.

1 members found this post helpful.

Leave your dog at a kennel where you live.

I don't think it will be hard to find once you are there. Usually something like that is set up near the trade fair or the big bank of porta potties

After you park and walk in, it should be pretty easy to find a place with a program. That should have a decent map.

Have fun! Wish I could go...but this damn job is getting in the way of all fun.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

Sounds as if the Humane Society is the way to go -- and find a new SO
    "If you can't feed 'em, don't breed 'em."

Quote Originally Posted by FatDinah View Post
    Leave your dog at a kennel where you live.
    This means dropping her off the day before and picking her up the day after, plus a grooming fee. I really don't want (1) to pay for three days of boarding/grooming ($150+) for one day at KHP, and (2) I'm leaving the dog at the kennel for two weeks starting on April 30.

But thanks for your helpful and cheerful suggestion.

3 members found this post helpful.

The Lexington Humane Society station sounds perfect. Exactly what I'm looking for.

Thanks.

1 members found this post helpful.

If my memory of the park layout is correct, last year the Humane Society's doggy day care was on the main drag heading towards the Grandstands. The grandstand would be on your right and they were on the left side, kinda between the sponsors ally and the grandstand. On Thurs you can probably get a spot with no problem but I bet on Sat/Sun only the early birds get a spot. You do have to bring proof of vaccinations.

I haven't ever had to use the service, but I think you need to have a copy of the dog's shot records in order to keep them at the LHS station. I'm sure if you already board your dog occasionally, that shouldn't be an issue to provide. I just remember someone saying they brought their dog with the plan to keep it there, but didn't know that was required so had to miss watching Dressage & Stadium as dogs aren't allowed in the Grandstands.
    I have Higher Standards... do you?

"For the love of my horse, I know who I am."

I understand why you don't want to take the dog to the kennel. I am flying in so leaving my pups at home and so thankful to have a wonderful dog walker who comes to my house twice a day (hubby works too many hours to do it)
    The only downside I have heard about the onsite kennel at KHP is that it is sort of a mad house with barking dogs going crazy. I am sure they do the best they can but since it is a small space with dogs coming and going it can understandably get a little noisy. My dog would not do well with that for a long period of time, but a portion of one day I am sure it will be okay.

Typically the Humane Society boarding tent is situated right along the main paved walking area between the outdoor shopping tents/food area and the grand stand/lake. You can find them either by listening to all the barking, or seeing all the super cute adoptable dogs in blue "adopt me" vests that they walk around in the area. Good luck!

(I'm considering bringing both of my dogs this year. One is very horse savvy and extraordinarily well-behaved while the other is working very hard on her leash manners and horse exposure. We'll see, it's still up in the air...I mean, for example, what does one do with their dog(s) when they are there by themselves and need to potty?!)
    “Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of Solitaire. It is a grand passion.” ~Emerson

My friend keeps hold of the leash from inside the porta potty with the dog outside!

I took a young dog to the steeplechase phase years ago. He would bark when a horse came by and I was asked to leave. So embarrassing!

My friend keeps hold of the leash from inside the porta potty with the dog outside!

I took a young dog to the steeplechase phase years ago. He would bark when a horse came by and I was asked to leave. So embarrassing!

I used the LHS kennels a few years ago to do some shopping other then that my dog went with me including on the course walk. No paperwork was needed, at least back then.

LetItBe
    Crayola Posse: Violet Blue