The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default My cat must love me....

for she brought me her first 'kill' tonight (which thankfully wasn't killed). She'd been cooped up all day so I let her out on the 'catio' as soon as I got home. Not 10 minutes out there and she comes tearing in the house with SOMETHING in her mouth right to me. I grabbed her and she dropped it - poor little gecko. His/her tail was gone and it was scared. I managed to get it scooped and outside back to safety. Now, I either have a writhing gecko tail on the catio or the cat ate it. I'm not sure which is worse . It's late, I'm starving for dinner and yet totally nauseated. Good kitty, I think, but please do not do this again!!
    ~* Life is the dance you choose *~

And you suck at hunting!

Cats bring game to their babies to teach them to hunt. You couldn't even do the gecko. I'm sure she didn't mean for that animal to fall apart as it did.

Nice of you to build her a catio, though.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

2 members found this post helpful.

Awwww, poor gecko! I used to find geckos in my house, usually missing tails, legs, and/or toes. Usually dead.

1 members found this post helpful.

I must really suck at hunting! Fat Eliza brings me a vole every day (dead, thankfully), and maybe a chipmunk if she gets lucky. She is kind enough to leave the bodies exactly where I step out the front door, where I can't possibly miss them!
    "Dogs give and give and give. Cats are the gift that keeps on grifting." –Bradley Trevor Greive

reefy! is offline Grand Prix Premium Member
    Original Poster

EWWW!! I know there are much grosser things for her to catch. She was SO excited to bring it to me, too. The catio is really a people patio, just screened in. My 2 oldies that died last year loved it, too, but they never caught stuff. This one is 7-ish months old. I think she got a cricket once, too. I do NOT do well with "stuff" like that. I did find the tail this morning - took some strong constitution and a large number of paper towels to pick it up (and dropped it once ). At least the wriggling had stopped over night (this is why I need a husband, to take care of the yuck!). The catio is temporarily closed while *I* recover, LOL.

reefy! is offline Grand Prix Premium Member
    Original Poster

And to you, dear mvp, starter of some of the most entertaining threads on COTH as of late - I am very, very, very glad to suck at hunting!

My cat likes to bring me her kills at about 3 am. (I'm not complaining about the fact that she catches mice in my apartment - just the timing!)

I know exactly what she's doing by the noise she makes when her mouth is full of mouse - she's very proud of herself.

If I'm lucky she leaves it right outside the door to my bedroom. I may or may not step on it when I get up in the morning as I stumble out of bed.

If I'm not lucky she will bring it in the room and insist that I look at it right away! Hopefully it will be dead at this point, but so far once it wasn't.

Last week I was sitting on the couch just settling in to read.

The lab goes over to the loveseat and is sniffing around it when I hear this squeak sound that does not belong near the loveseat. Get up off the couch, slide loveseat out and there is cute little chipmuch desparately trying to get under the strip heater behind the loveseat. Put loveseat back in, lock up dog, call husband over, evict one cat out the front door, grab gloves and pitcher, flip loveseat on face, and corral chipmunk.

Poor thing is trying to run away but was running in place since we have a laminate floor in that room.

Evicted cat has now made it back into house but chipmunk is in the pitcher. I head out the front door to be greeted by 2 of my 3 best hunter kitties. So I trek across the yard in socks, far away from said kitties and release poor chippiemunk into the treeline.

Next morning walking into the laundryroom was a big fat dead mole.

I wish kitties would leave their toys outside.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

My cat likes the big wood roaches and geckos. I've found bug legs with nothing else left.

Now that its warm again, I'm waiting for another gecko hunt when they inevitably make their way into the house. And I hope I'll be able to save it before he kills it!

Quote Originally Posted by reefy! View Post
    And to you, dear mvp, starter of some of the most entertaining threads on COTH as of late - I am very, very, very glad to suck at hunting!
    Thanks for your kind words!

Sadly, the solution to your problem is to take an interest in hunting. Your Cat-structor would probably be gratified is you showed an interest in the game. I know it won't be easy, but if you could get out the haz mat suit and paper towels while she was watching, she might know that you were improving.

And don't close the glorious catio while you are recovering from your trauma, just don't go out there for a while.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by PaintPony View Post
    I know exactly what she's doing by the noise she makes when her mouth is full of mouse - she's very proud of herself.
    Can you imitate the sound for us? Cats do have their version of an end zone dance when they have the kill in their jaws. I know its gross, but we shouldn't judge the rituals of other cultures.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

3 members found this post helpful.

^^^ Fat Eliza has perfected the triumphant growl with her mouth clamped firmly around her prize. She learned the hard way what happens when you open your mouth to brag while carrying live cargo!
    "Dogs give and give and give. Cats are the gift that keeps on grifting." –Bradley Trevor Greive

3 members found this post helpful.

Living the south, there is not a structure made that outside roaches cannot penetrate. My two like to torture them, then leave them on their backs for me to discover in the morning. Still alive, wiggling legs, but the cats are no longer interested. Have to dispatch with the flyswatter. Uck. I do try to rescue the lizards and geckos when they get in. My old lady cat about drove herself nuts one morning because the gecko was on the ceiling! There had to be a way to get to it.......
    And nothing bad happened!

I'm not looking forward to cricket season, which is just around the corner. From then until, oh, October, I can expect to be woken nightly at oh-dark-thirty by the bangs and yowls of Dylan trying to get at the cricket(s) chirping somewhere in my bedroom. At least I've learned the lesson about always wearing flip-flops in the laundry room.

My cats bring all sorts of small game (bugs and lizards). I was a little less appreciative of the small snake they brought in. Pretty good considering they only have access to an outdoor cage that is 6 foot square!

The other night my male Boxer came darting in with a squeak toy..... he does not usually dare play with them as they belong to the female Boxer (a dominant bitch where he is concerned). I told him to drop it so I could "save his life" as the female was hot on his tail. It was a squirrel... in the house. I scooped it up and tossed it over the fence. Still no idea how he managed to catch a squirrel at 11 pm!

Quote Originally Posted by Naina78 View Post
    I'm not looking forward to cricket season, which is just around the corner. From then until, oh, October, I can expect to be woken nightly at oh-dark-thirty by the bangs and yowls of Dylan trying to get at the cricket(s) chirping somewhere in my bedroom. At least I've learned the lesson about always wearing flip-flops in the laundry room.
    Oh, and don't forget about the piles of vomit containing cricket parts! My cats will kill and eat crickets, then regurgitate, much to my dismay.