The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Spring Cough and MSM

Has anyone been using MSM with success on spring coughs?

I am thinking of buying some MSM and just trying it out. How many doses? Twice a day or three times?

Please let me know what you are using. My good old Anihist is still not back on the market (as best I can tell) and I need something else. I thought I would try the MSM.

Thanks in advance. My 20 y/o gelding has apparently developed some allergies and I am trying to help him out, but he will not eat anything that has a strong odor (like Cough Free)

My guy has gotten around 20,000 mg a day, 10,000 mg in the AM and 10,000 mg in the PM in the past when he got bad. I did it the whole summer until the snow hit the ground.

I was able to find Anihist at the farm supply, guess I better head back and stock up on it! When he's doing alright, he gets 10,000 mg MSM (in conjunction with the Anihist usually).

All the other cough syrups and supplements short of dexamethasone/hydrocortisone shots and clenbuteral didn't do a thing for him. I think the Smartbreathe may have helped a bit, but I added extra MSM to it too.

If I wet down the hay in the spring my guy is fine.

Thanks for the tips. I will try them. I am definitely going to get the jump on the MSM now and see if that doesn't help.

I can try to wet down the hay as well. He just doesn't always eat it like that. Picky Picky

ETA - R.J.: I'm not sure when you picked up Anihist last time, but here is a recent thread on it
    Last edited by LoveJubal; Apr. 23, 2013 at 01:37 PM. Reason: addition

Flax can help, as it's high in omega 3s so acts as a natural anti-inflammatory. A cup a day is what I've used in the past.

Also a long nose fly mask, or nose net, can help filter some of the allergens. When the pollen count is high I don't even attempt to ride without a long nose mask or nose net on.
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

I use 15,000 mg daily of MSM to prevent/limit winter and spring horse sneezing and it works great. Also helps with stocking up when horse is stalled due to bad weather. Have a friend that uses smartpak's SmartBreathe supplement on COPD horse with fabulous results.

I know a horse who was heavey until put on msm. Works. Charm on him. Sorry do not know dosage.

My guy develops a cough in spring too. I put him on MSM and cough free. He won't touch anything in his feed. I mix it in apple sauce and make a paste, then syringe it. 1x a day until the weather stays consistant. Works like a charm!

Thanks everyone... Just picked up some MSM and I'm off to the barn. I'll let you know the results!

One more follow-up question... How long does it usually take you all to see a difference on the MSM?

Thanks again for the help!

I have had very good results with using SmartPak's Smart Breathe. Available as powder or pellets, powder is a little cheaper and very palatable so I use it. It has MSM , Quercetin and Bromelain, plus other ingredients. The Querceting/Bromelain combo is a great anti-inflamnatory and used by lot's of humans for allergy relief. I find just that combo more effective than MSM. But the Smartbreathe mix is quite good and is just over $1 per day for a single dose.

chicamuxen