The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Horses in books.

I am currently listening to a CD recording of a book by a reasonably well known author, set in the 1700s - so horses for transport. Trouble is, that although the horses (and one in particular) have names and are well described (if in laymans terms), auther persists in referring to the horse as "it". "It stood in the stable, eating its grain" What's with that? It is an inanimate object - its can't eat!

Maybe I'm just personificating horses - but I wouldn't call a dog or a cat it either.

Believe it or not, in the English language, animals are referred to as "it"s. As in "That mare Sally over there is lovely. How old is it?"

I have been marked down on papers all throughout my life/education as an English major by the true language sticklers. Whatever, yo, if it has a gender, it gets a gender-specific pronoun!

Quote Originally Posted by phoebetrainer View Post
    I wouldn't call a dog or a cat it either.
    What about a cousin?
    The Denver Broncos went to visit an orphanage. "It's so sad looking into their faces so devoid of hope." Sara aged 6

3 members found this post helpful.

Yep. I've argued the point for both demons and horses (in different books, lol), but if the author doesn't pick the fight, the non-human genders will often get 'corrected' to 'it' during copyedits.
    Horsey romances written by a horsey person
    www.JesseHayworth.com

Eh. It could be worse. We could have three genders arbitrarily applied to every noun in the language, as in German. (Or five genders, as in Polish. Yikes!)

I call them "it" unless I'm referring to a specific named animal that's more than just some random animal.

As for demons...how do you KNOW it's not an it? Did you check?

2 members found this post helpful.

yes, i've noticed that as well--maybe it was a dick francis book? the characters were talking about racing and one wanted to know "what's running today?" found it very odd...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Gravity works, and the laws of physics are a bitch.

Member: Rabid Garden Snail Clique

Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    As for demons...how do you KNOW it's not an it?
    First, you turn them over ...
    Horsey romances written by a horsey person
    www.JesseHayworth.com

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by GoForAGallop View Post
    Believe it or not, in the English language, animals are referred to as "it"s. As in "That mare Sally over there is lovely. How old is it?"

I have been marked down on papers all throughout my life/education as an English major by the true language sticklers. Whatever, yo, if it has a gender, it gets a gender-specific pronoun!
    I kind of agree. I think if s/he has a gender, s/he gets a gender-specific pronoun, but if not, it doesn't. Like: A child shouldn't be allowed to suck its thumb; it will ruin its teeth. But if I were asking about your mare, I'd ask, "How old is she?"

I've only become aware of it in the last few years. Does Black Beauty (in the original version) use he and she? The horsey books I read as a kid all assigned gender specific pronouns. I've just gone a checked a few Dick Francis' and they all use he and she.
    The horse in the book I'm listening to has a male name and is clearly described and then called it. It bugs me. I guess if that is the only thing I have to worry about, I'm doing okay!!

i think BB used she/he...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Gravity works, and the laws of physics are a bitch.

Member: Rabid Garden Snail Clique

I don't mind it in the context of "A horse in the field lifted its head, then resumed grazing," but "The mare lipped up the sugar cube and then went back to its hay" would be annoying...

Nothing like the shouting when I was reading a Regency romance that referred to "tall, slab-sided thoroughbreds and barrel-chested quarter horses" at a livery stable. Where is this 1804 London livery importing its quarter horses from?
    "Remain relentlessly cheerful."

Graphite/Pastel Portraits

1 members found this post helpful.