The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default SJ video: my pony's first Prelim

My little black pony Zizi completed her first recognized Prelim HT at Longleaf this weekend. Yay!

Showjumping at Longleaf video

She did have one unfortunate stop on XC that was not her fault. She slid across a wet patch of ground and couldn't recover in time. So they circled and all went as planned through the finish flags.

Glenbaer has done a wonderful job with this unconventional 14.2hh horse. I sent Zizi across the country to her -- without ever having met her and only knowing her online -- because she was just starting out and I thought she'd have the time that a special case like Zizi required.

Zizi is very intelligent and likes to work. In her two and three year-old years, she would throw screaming tantrums if she couldn't work first or work for as long as she liked, which was all day, every day. If you gave her a day off and turned her out with other animals, she went to work on her own, sorting, herding, hostage-taking and rule-making. This is why she worked every single day for eight straight months as a 3 year-old. It was that or tantrums and hostages.

Since then, she's grown up quite a bit mentally, if not at all physically. She's a blast to ride but not necessarily the easiest horse to stay with over the jumps. There's not much in front of you, so your balance has to be spot-on. Glenbaer would probably agree that she's one of those horses who makes you a better rider on all your horses -- if you can learn to balance and go with her, every other horse will be that much easier.

JMP has also been a big help with Zizi, even though he wasn't impressed with her at all in the beginning. But then a 14hh, skinny, bossy mare isn't really anyone's idea of the perfect eventer.

1 members found this post helpful.

She makes that look so easy!

She looks fiery over those jumps but like a load of fun. Great video.

She isn't very big, but size clearly doesn't matter to her! She's adorable!

Wow Nice! She sure loves her job! Lovely form too!
    Nice pair!
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

That was great! Fantastic little jumper

Since I had to work this weekend and couldn't be there I volunteered on Friday and helped Marc set up the stadium, how fun to watch it be ridden!
    "Drawing on my fine command of the English language, I said nothing" - Robert Benchley
    Cotton would fight.
    http://buildingthegrove.blogspot.com/

Wow! She's a zippy little thing!

Gorgeous riding from Glenbaer...and congrats on Zizi's first Prelim! Beautiful!

What a lovely little horse. She sounds a lot like one of mine...same attitude if not worked every day.

JER, I was watching her on the leaderboards all weekend, I knew you had to be proud of her finishing her Prelim! We had to withdraw, but it was a beautiful weekend and congrats on the team success!

She laughed at the triple!!! What a great horse!! Love that she's half Akhal Teke!!!

What a nice pony, and the rider rode so lovely. HOw exciting for you both JER! She is quite lovely! and smart from the looks of it!
    May the sun shine on you daily, and your worries be gone with the wind.
    www.mmceventing.com

Thanks for the nice comments. Zizi has always been my favorite.

Glenbaer is about 5'8", so riding a small, narrow, sensitive horse like Zizi takes considerable skill.

Zizi's most Akhal-Teke-ish parts are her neck, ears and shiny coat. Her sire is Super Star. Mum is an OTTB. I think she's a nice combination of her parents, although her lack of size -- her parents are 15.2+hh and 16hh -- is a bit of a mystery.

I just watched the video again and I had to come back and say that she has a GORGEOUS slow, confident jump. Now I want to have Glenbaer train my horse - does she accept payments in cookies, LOL? I did not know she was half-AT, what a unique girl!

Have you been able to find good xc boots for her? I need to research a pair Donna Miller told me about. That has been the hardest thing for me to find for my 14.3 hander (who is also narrow and quite a sensitive mare). She just completed her first one star (40th) with a stop on xc after she over-reached and struck herself.....wotrking on addressing that problem, but she was foot perfect afterwards!
    Beth Davidson
    Black Dog Farm Connemaras & Sport Horses
    http://blackdogconnemara.com
    visit my blog: http://ponyeventer.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by pcwertb View Post
    Have you been able to find good xc boots for her?
    Little boots, ha. I understand completely.

I'm not sure what Zizi worse last weekend but for a while she was wearing her mum's Gygax size 1 (pony) xc boots in front. Zizi's mum is 16hh, and her legs are a bit bigger but she also has super-short cannon bones, and I found this to be the more difficult issue to service with boots. Zizi has short cannons, too, but she's also got the coveted Akhal-Teke 'dry' legs which are very skinny.

Also, it's hard finding pony-sized anything that isn't bright pink or baby blue, which drives me nuts.

I'm interested -- what brand did Donna Miller tell you about?