The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Balding hair with dry, flakey skin? Update Post#1

Update

So the nasty skin is all gone and hair growth already looks great. Here is what I did for those curious:
    1. Bathed with Vetrolin.
    2. Sprayed thoroughly with Vetricyn (Wound Care) for two days.
    3. Dewormed with a Panacur Powerpac.
    4. Used this awesome stuff for three days thus far.

The spray I used in step 4 seemed to have the greatest direct, noticeable affect, though I'm sure everything contributed in some way.

Also be sure to scroll down to post #17 where ldaziens gives really thorough, thoughtful suggestions.

My 5 year old TB is balding pretty terribly in large sections. His skin there is flakey and dry. The rest of his hair looks pretty good. I have him on Farrier's Formula double strength (and three SmartPack wells per month at that) which is great for skin and coat. Any ideas about what's going on?

ETA: I didn't own him last summer so I have no idea if this has happened before. I don't think the owner would have noticed as he was pretty much a pasture pet.
    Last edited by lferguson; May. 6, 2013 at 07:35 PM.

How warm is it where you are? Are gnats / midges / no-seeums out? Is it in a particular area? (face, neck, shoulders) or all over? when was the last time he was dewormed and what product? Have you used a shampoo on him lately?

I have a 15 year old paint mare with the same problem. Bought her last year and had the problem, and now already this spring. She is already lost her winter coat and is thin coat in her back area and burning from sun. She has hair lost betweent front legs with dry, rough scabby skin and under her belly. She keeps laying on ground scratching her belly. If you find an answer and cure to "why" please do share. It bothers her with a saddle/girth on, she tries to shake me off. I just wormed her Saturday.
    Winnie

Mine has on one shoulder sports biggest large as a quarter most like a dime, hair loss lots of flakes opposite side only one or two, balding spot on the right hand side girth area ( does not look like the same thing. I am debating between fungie ( sorry for the spelling) or alergy to soap used to wash blanckets as those have been washed a couple of time monthly due to mudd and roling.
    I am not putting blancket anymore and will clean with head and shoulder for a while see what happens...
    the vet is reluctrant to come out for minor stuff like this... It does look a bit like ring worm but as she has not left the barn in a year and no other horse has it I do not know how that is possible.
    It does not seem to itch or to be uncomfortable looks ugly though... the are calling for warmer weather over the weekend might try to give her a good bath...If anyone has ideas I did take a picture but they are hard to read bad angle and lots of fuzz.

Hope is thing with hooves....
    C

Mine did that last summer. I freaked out at his new male pattern baldness! Eventually he decided to shed out like normal and grew in a beautiful summer coat. Mentioned it to my vet who said he'd seen quite a bit of it last year (it was hot, fast). He's a 7 yr old ottb.

Quote Originally Posted by gabz View Post
    How warm is it where you are? Are gnats / midges / no-seeums out? Is it in a particular area? (face, neck, shoulders) or all over? when was the last time he was dewormed and what product? Have you used a shampoo on him lately?
    I'm in Indiana, so it varies wildly. Anywhere form mid-forties to high seventies in a ten day period. He needs wormed! It's been a while. I just used Vetrolin on him, but it was after the symptoms began and it has never irritated him before.

For everyone else with this problem-
    I had my massage therapist out yesterday, and she is a horse body guru. Her initial thought was rain rot. It did not look like the case of rain rot he had when I purchased him, but I began spraying with Vetricyn and it actually looks like it may be helping, so perhaps it is something bacterial. I'll update and let you know if I see improvement.

Her second thought was perhaps a food allergy. We actually recently had a food change at our barn, so that's a real possibility for us. Newman is changing barns and feed in a few days, so if the Vetricyn doesn't help, I can let you know if the dietary change does.

Since this is your first summer with your horse- I suspect that he just has a weird shedding pattern (unless you have him body clipped and this isn't about shedding at all) I have one horse (an aged STB) who sheds out like no other horse I've every known. I can pull ALL the hairs out off the zones where his skin has decided to shed with my fingers- it doesn't groom off- but will release if I give it a gentle tug. Under that hair is just the finest prickle of new summer hair growth- so it really is bald in those patches. Right now it's concentrated at his shoulder tops by the withers and at the whorl of his flank and hips. If I tug at hairs on his belly- nothing gives.

All my other horses gradually release hairs from their whole body and by the time they are done shedding the summer coat is already grown in.

It can also be alopecia and can be stress-related...had a horse that sold to a buyer in a different state...I had a buy-back contract. Things did NOT work, horse came back after 10 days 50# lighter and large bald patches at random spots on body. Put horse on Gastrogard, returned him to his old routine and after two or three weeks, all bald spots are now covering with hair. Buyer thought this was rainrot, but it was NOT...was not on back like typical rainrot...there was large patch near hip on side, patches at side of head and neck etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Bandit View Post
    It can also be alopecia and can be stress-related...had a horse that sold to a buyer in a different state...I had a buy-back contract. Things did NOT work, horse came back after 10 days 50# lighter and large bald patches at random spots on body. Put horse on Gastrogard, returned him to his old routine and after two or three weeks, all bald spots are now covering with hair. Buyer thought this was rainrot, but it was NOT...was not on back like typical rainrot...there was large patch near hip on side, patches at side of head and neck etc.
    This is another big possibility for us. He has been getting beaten up very badly lately. He is out with about a 30 horse herd, and with the introduction of a few newbies the herd dynamics have been changing. I'm moving him to a friend's barn tomorrow, so hopefully that will reduce his stress level.

Quote Originally Posted by Plainandtall View Post
    Since this is your first summer with your horse- I suspect that he just has a weird shedding pattern (unless you have him body clipped and this isn't about shedding at all) I have one horse (an aged STB) who sheds out like no other horse I've every known. I can pull ALL the hairs out off the zones where his skin has decided to shed with my fingers- it doesn't groom off- but will release if I give it a gentle tug. Under that hair is just the finest prickle of new summer hair growth- so it really is bald in those patches. Right now it's concentrated at his shoulder tops by the withers and at the whorl of his flank and hips. If I tug at hairs on his belly- nothing gives.

All my other horses gradually release hairs from their whole body and by the time they are done shedding the summer coat is already grown in.
    That is what a few people thought and at first I was inclined to agree, but the flakey skin is really awful and dry.

OP I will try and see if I can find this product up here. Not certain and these things do not cross the border really well.

Hope is the sound of hoves soming down the aisle.

It sounds stress related.

I am not a fan of farrier's formula. I certainly would not double the doseage. More is not always better. Especially if there are other vitamins and minerals involved in other feeds, and other supplements you are giving him.

He may have had rain rot as somebody else mentioned, and the hair just hasn't grown back.

Make sure he is current on his worming. Makes a huge difference. For a few bucks, it makes a huge difference in a horse's health.

Vetrolin is pretty strong stuff, especially if it's been sitting around for awhile. He may have started with a weird shedding pattern (not unheard of when the weather is so crazy), but the Vetrolin may have kicked it into high gear. I once lightly blistered an entire horse with that stuff and haven't used it since.
    Athletic Horses. Educated Riders.
    www.Ride-With-Confidence.com

Quote Originally Posted by rmh_rider View Post
    It sounds stress related.

I am not a fan of farrier's formula. I certainly would not double the doseage. More is not always better. Especially if there are other vitamins and minerals involved in other feeds, and other supplements you are giving him.

He may have had rain rot as somebody else mentioned, and the hair just hasn't grown back.

Make sure he is current on his worming. Makes a huge difference. For a few bucks, it makes a huge difference in a horse's health.
    You're so right. I should have wormed him by now.

Just for clarification, I haven't doubled the dosage of Farrier's Formula. I am using the double strength formula at the recommended loading dose. It has made a big difference in his feet. My farrier was very complimentary of the new growth. With that said, please let me know what you don't like about it! I always am eager to hear others' opinions about this stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Melissa.Hare.Jones View Post
    Vetrolin is pretty strong stuff, especially if it's been sitting around for awhile. He may have started with a weird shedding pattern (not unheard of when the weather is so crazy), but the Vetrolin may have kicked it into high gear. I once lightly blistered an entire horse with that stuff and haven't used it since.
    Also for clarification, it was already at its high point when I bathed him. It did not get worse after using Vetrolin. I didn't know Vetrolin was capable of that! What ingredients are so harsh? Is there a gentler shampoo you can recommend?

I'm thinking sun burn and it'll clear up as more hair grows in

My guy got something similar, and after some research; I feel like my case is "seasonal alopecia". Google that and see if that might be an option.

Since you are relocating, maybe do a Power Pack dewormer. That seems to be a good starting place.

And, maybe add a probiotic. I am using G.U.T. by Uckele, but SmartPak has an assortment of options.

Since you also mentioned dandruff / dry skin. Why don't you try supplementing with Omega 3 &/or oil?

Omega Horse Shine is great, and I have used that in the past - SmartPak carries it.

Farriers Formula is good stuff. You'll realize how good if you make the mistake of stopping it - ask me how I know

Mine hadn't been taking the Omega Horseshine for awhile, and I have a mare who lost condition and looked awful; so I ordered the product below to add fat to her diet -- and also because it has Gamma Oryzanol. She is black, and that is supposed to help. I was just looking out at her this morning, and she is SO SHINY.
    http://www.horse.com/item/manna-pro-...01557/#Reviews

Also, since you are giving supplements and perhaps changing feeds, check out FeedXL.com. That is such a great tool for making sure that you aren't giving too much or too little of any of the required nutrients for a horse. It can also save you quite a bit of money if you are over supplementing.

BATHING, etc. Since the skin seems less than happy, I would bathe with something very mild and not add anything else to the situation unless the horse is itchy or has broken skin - something that needs to be treated, and then I would consult with the vet.

When you bathe your horse, use something very gentle - these are approved for people with eczema, so they are hypoallergenic and non-drying, per http://www.nationaleczema.org/living...g-moisturizing

"Aquaphor® Gentle Wash & Shampoo
    AVEENO® Baby Cleansing Therapy Moisturizing Wash
    Basis® Sensitive Skin Bar
    Bella Dry Skin Formula Moisturizing Body Bar
    CeraVe™ Hydrating Cleanser
    Cetaphil® Restoraderm® Body Wash
    Cetaphil® Gentle Skin Cleanser
    CLn® Body Wash
    Dove® Sensitive Skin Unscented Beauty Bar
    Eucerin® Calming Body Wash
    Exederm® Cleansing Wash
    Kiss of Nature Oh My Baby!! Moisturizing Castile Body Bar
    Mustela® Stelatopia Cream Cleanser
    MD Moms® Baby Silk Gentle All-Over Clean Hair & Body Wash
    Neosporin® Moisture Essentials Daily Body Wash
    Oilatum® Cleansing Bar
    Vanicream™ Cleansing Bar or Free & Clear Liquid Cleanse"

The bar soaps might be easier to apply and more cost effective.

And, of course, make sure that you rinse thoroughly - and then rinse some more. The rinsing is probably more important than the washing. You may want to rinse, spray with 1/2 vinegar & 1/2 water and rinse some more. Regular, white, distilled vinegar is usually 5% acetic acid; and acetic acid has antibacterial & antifungal properties; plus the vinegar will help get everything rinsed off.

If the dandruff continues after you have dewormed, fixed the diet, removed the stress, and bathed a few times with something mild; OR if it gets worse in any way; then definitely consult with your vet before "treating" more aggressively. You don't want to make it worse.
    Disclaimer: Just a beginner who knows nothing about nothing

1 members found this post helpful.

Oh, and put a fly sheet on him - one with UV protection- until the skin thing is resolved. Those bald spots will be vulnerable to sunburn and bugs.
    Disclaimer: Just a beginner who knows nothing about nothing

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by ldaziens View Post
    My guy got something similar, and after some research; I feel like my case is "seasonal alopecia". Google that and see if that might be an option.

Since you are relocating, maybe do a Power Pack dewormer. That seems to be a good starting place.

And, maybe add a probiotic. I am using G.U.T. by Uckele, but SmartPak has an assortment of options.

Since you also mentioned dandruff / dry skin. Why don't you try supplementing with Omega 3 &/or oil?

Omega Horse Shine is great, and I have used that in the past - SmartPak carries it.

Farriers Formula is good stuff. You'll realize how good if you make the mistake of stopping it - ask me how I know

Mine hadn't been taking the Omega Horseshine for awhile, and I have a mare who lost condition and looked awful; so I ordered the product below to add fat to her diet -- and also because it has Gamma Oryzanol. She is black, and that is supposed to help. I was just looking out at her this morning, and she is SO SHINY.
    http://www.horse.com/item/manna-pro-...01557/#Reviews

Also, since you are giving supplements and perhaps changing feeds, check out FeedXL.com. That is such a great tool for making sure that you aren't giving too much or too little of any of the required nutrients for a horse. It can also save you quite a bit of money if you are over supplementing.

BATHING, etc. Since the skin seems less than happy, I would bathe with something very mild and not add anything else to the situation unless the horse is itchy or has broken skin - something that needs to be treated, and then I would consult with the vet.

When you bathe your horse, use something very gentle - these are approved for people with eczema, so they are hypoallergenic and non-drying, per http://www.nationaleczema.org/living...g-moisturizing

"Aquaphor® Gentle Wash & Shampoo
    AVEENO® Baby Cleansing Therapy Moisturizing Wash
    Basis® Sensitive Skin Bar
    Bella Dry Skin Formula Moisturizing Body Bar
    CeraVe™ Hydrating Cleanser
    Cetaphil® Restoraderm® Body Wash
    Cetaphil® Gentle Skin Cleanser
    CLn® Body Wash
    Dove® Sensitive Skin Unscented Beauty Bar
    Eucerin® Calming Body Wash
    Exederm® Cleansing Wash
    Kiss of Nature Oh My Baby!! Moisturizing Castile Body Bar
    Mustela® Stelatopia Cream Cleanser
    MD Moms® Baby Silk Gentle All-Over Clean Hair & Body Wash
    Neosporin® Moisture Essentials Daily Body Wash
    Oilatum® Cleansing Bar
    Vanicream™ Cleansing Bar or Free & Clear Liquid Cleanse"

The bar soaps might be easier to apply and more cost effective.

And, of course, make sure that you rinse thoroughly - and then rinse some more. The rinsing is probably more important than the washing. You may want to rinse, spray with 1/2 vinegar & 1/2 water and rinse some more. Regular, white, distilled vinegar is usually 5% acetic acid; and acetic acid has antibacterial & antifungal properties; plus the vinegar will help get everything rinsed off.

If the dandruff continues after you have dewormed, fixed the diet, removed the stress, and bathed a few times with something mild; OR if it gets worse in any way; then definitely consult with your vet before "treating" more aggressively. You don't want to make it worse.
    I wish I had seen this when you posted it. You are so spot on! Thanks for the really great advice!