The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I just looked on etsy, which is obviously where I would plan to start selling, and there are a few listings on there for organic horse treats. I think mine would be more yummy/interesting/complex just judging from their ingredient lists. One girl's listing says "as always free of" blah, blah, "cinnamon and salt" any idea why?
    Gracious "Gracie," 2002 TB mare
    Facebook me!

I have Higher Standards ...do you?

Quote Originally Posted by cottonXCblondie View Post
    So I've also thought of Blue Ribbon Bakery for a name at the suggestion of being more equi-related, which I kind of love because who doesn't love winning those freakin things and also because it makes me think of winning at the county fair with your grandmama's recipe, and I think I want to call the flavors by a desserty name "Pumpkin Pie," "Apple Crisp," "Carrot Cake," "Peppermint Spritz." I love that name with the Mason jar idea. I could put a little square of fabric between the lid and the canning ring. The Mason jars would be like 5x as much as the eco-friendly bags and I loved the bags because I could easily fill 100 right now. I wonder if I could offer both? eco-friendly simpler packaging for a more every day (and cheaper) order and then a higher end Mason jar for gift giving?
    I like the name you have chosen as well as the flavor names. Have you priced this all out yet? I'm curious as to what you think your price points might be. I agree with others who think this could be a good gift and I also like the birthday cake suggestion.
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

1 members found this post helpful.

I also like the names, and LOVE the idea to offer both the simple packaging and gift-ready jar. I think the treats would make a great gift!

If you would like to send samples to a picky/suspicious eater to try, I have one (as well as an "eats first asks questions later" hoover type, lol)

Be aware that unless you can show that the ingredients are USDA-certified organic, you cannot legally label them as organic.

And if you're going to do Etsy, don't quit your day job. Personally, I wouldn't buy horse treats off it (or most foods, really) as it winds up being far more than they're worth. You also really need to do all your own advertising and decide whether to pay for their listing promotions (if you seriously want to make any money, you have to, otherwise you're relying on random searches to find your store.)

I can see a cute mason jar thing being a good seller for people looking for gifts for horsey people. But if you're having to buy certified organic ingredients, Mason jars, labeling, refill bags, etc. that is sounding like it's going to price it way past anything people would buy on a regular basis. Unless you price it so you're operating at a loss.

The Neighkery Neighked Goods i think about this way too much in the car.

I still like Blue Ribbon Bakery.....Blue Ribbon Neighkery? That's too much.
    Facebook me!

Quote Originally Posted by jenm View Post
    I like the name you have chosen as well as the flavor names. Have you priced this all out yet? I'm curious as to what you think your price points might be. I agree with others who think this could be a good gift and I also like the birthday cake suggestion.
    I've not priced it out aside from packaging.....with the exception of the label, which I'll need to go visit a place in town and talk to them.
    Facebook me!

I PMed you back. I think I mentioned this in my pm, but just in case...don't use blue ribbon bakery. Too many google results come up for that name.

I am sure there's a market. Personally I already give my horse wholesome treats -apples and carrots. For me the source is as wholesome as I can get. But then I live in the boonies and get my meat, eggs, poultry, duck, etc. from the guy down the road.

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

Make sure you price the cost of shipping too. Packing and shipping costs for a mason jar are quite different than for a bag.

You might really want to start with local horse shows, facebook and a website. Put flyers in the equine vet's office, ask you local tack ship to carry them on consignment, etc. Don't forget to put a QR code on flyers so anyone can just scan it with their smart phone and link to your website. And don't forget discount coupons...everyone loves a deal. Just make sure you build it all into your price.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

I try avoid having glass things in the barn. Though mason jars in a nice lid is very nice it just does not seem like a good idea for something that will be taken to a barn.

2 members found this post helpful.

For a name...how about KnickerBakers?

anyway, I am as practical as a horseperson comes so, I would not buy a fancy container of treats for my horse, or even for a gift. But there are people who do, you just have to work to reach them!

Quote Originally Posted by hundredacres View Post
    For a name...how about KnickerBakers?

anyway, I am as practical as a horseperson comes so, I would not buy a fancy container of treats for my horse, or even for a gift. But there are people who do, you just have to work to reach them!
    There's a treat brand called Knicker Makers.
    Facebook me!

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    Make sure you price the cost of shipping too. Packing and shipping costs for a mason jar are quite different than for a bag.

You might really want to start with local horse shows, facebook and a website. Put flyers in the equine vet's office, ask you local tack ship to carry them on consignment, etc. Don't forget to put a QR code on flyers so anyone can just scan it with their smart phone and link to your website. And don't forget discount coupons...everyone loves a deal. Just make sure you build it all into your price.
    Definitely would price jars and bags differently.

"Local" vet and tack shop are nonexistent. I could contact the nearest shop though and see about them.
    Facebook me!

Planning to bake TOMORROW! Will be making Apple Crisp, Pumpkin Pie, and Carrot Cake. Are cloves okay? I've never done pumpkin pie before and while I can't find anything saying it's not okay, I wish I could just find something that says one way or the other.
    Facebook me!

Quote Originally Posted by cottonXCblondie View Post
    Definitely would price jars and bags differently.

"Local" vet and tack shop are nonexistent. I could contact the nearest shop though and see about them.
    you might have to cough up the fees for a table at a show or something like the better trade day/Flea market in your area. (maybe in conjunction with dog treats?)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Make sure everything is organic, even the spices. You might want to think about "All Natural" instead of organic.

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    Make sure everything is organic, even the spices. You might want to think about "All Natural" instead of organic.
    Everything I have is organic. I have a toddler, so that's what did that. I load up on organic herbs and spices when we travel somewhere that has a Fresh Market or a World Market once or twice a year. I bake our own bread so I have a ton of organic flours (whole wheat, barley, oat) and ground flax seed. Salt is a mineral and cannot be organic...I've debated leaving it out. At least 95% of ingredients have to be organic for something to be called "organic."
    Facebook me!

While Etsy is a good way to go, you might also consider creating a "fan" page for your bakery on Facebook. I know quite a few people who post updates about what they're doing, new items, sales, stuff like that on there and it seems to work for them. And then you can also have a link there back to your Etsy shop.

If I were going to use the mason jars, I might do it instead for a hot mash mix (you know, like how people gift soup/cocoa mixes in jars) than cookies. If you wanted to go that route. Depends on how big the jars are you're thinking about. But definitely since you're mailing, weight would be an issue (but then, those flat rate priority boxes might be your friend, depending. )

Uh, anyway, I would suggest starting small, with the bags and working your way up to more ambitious things. And definitely if you've got local shows or that sort of thing where they'd let you set up a table, that would be a good way to get your 'name' out there as well as online.

And I know places that provide small samples with their orders (or maybe on etsy you can make a "sample" listing that would send like...one treat for a nominal price so people can try before they buy and you could just put it in a small padded envelope and some basic packaging with a note about your philosphy and ingredients or whatever to keep costs down). So also like if somebody orders your "Apple Pie" treats, maybe you also stick in a "Peppermint" treat so they'll feel encouraged to get another flavor (or more flavors) next time, and they'll appreciate the free gift.

Maybe wait and do something like fancy jars till around starting in late October/November when people start thinking about, "what sort of gift should I get for my BO/farrier/trainer/riding buddy/vet?"
    The Trials and Jubilations of a Twenty-Something Re-rider
    Happy owner of Kieran the mostly-white-very-large-not-pony.

Quote Originally Posted by analise View Post
    While Etsy is a good way to go, you might also consider creating a "fan" page for your bakery on Facebook. I know quite a few people who post updates about what they're doing, new items, sales, stuff like that on there and it seems to work for them. And then you can also have a link there back to your Etsy shop.

If I were going to use the mason jars, I might do it instead for a hot mash mix (you know, like how people gift soup/cocoa mixes in jars) than cookies. If you wanted to go that route. Depends on how big the jars are you're thinking about. But definitely since you're mailing, weight would be an issue (but then, those flat rate priority boxes might be your friend, depending. )

Uh, anyway, I would suggest starting small, with the bags and working your way up to more ambitious things. And definitely if you've got local shows or that sort of thing where they'd let you set up a table, that would be a good way to get your 'name' out there as well as online.

And I know places that provide small samples with their orders (or maybe on etsy you can make a "sample" listing that would send like...one treat for a nominal price so people can try before they buy and you could just put it in a small padded envelope and some basic packaging with a note about your philosphy and ingredients or whatever to keep costs down). So also like if somebody orders your "Apple Pie" treats, maybe you also stick in a "Peppermint" treat so they'll feel encouraged to get another flavor (or more flavors) next time, and they'll appreciate the free gift.

Maybe wait and do something like fancy jars till around starting in late October/November when people start thinking about, "what sort of gift should I get for my BO/farrier/trainer/riding buddy/vet?"
    Definitely a yes with the Facebook page.

A mash mix in a jar would be a neat idea. Who all else would like that?

I would definitely be good at starting small. I still need a perfecto name! Aahh!
    Facebook me!

Don't forget to include rescues in your marketing. If you agree to make a percentage donation to a rescue, I'll bet you can get a few to give you a link or a post on facebook. Just ask the buyers to use the rescues name for the donation.

Of course, send some samples to the rescue first!