The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default I'd Love Y'all's Feedback: Organic Horse Treats?

So I've been thinking about doing this for a bit and have wondered if there would even be anybody else out there that would be interested in something like this. I mean, with how much concern people put into everything they get at the grocery for themselves and their children being organic, why not their horses, too? Ben'sMom has given me some oomph to least get some opinions on here before moving forward.

I'm going to experiment a bit with a treat recipe I use to make different varieties (I'm thinking carrot cake, peppermint, and apple cinnamon, and....?) and then different sizes and shapes to see what ultimately bakes best and stays fresh the longest.

I laid awake the last two nights trying to come up with a name. I initially kind of arrived at Heart Treats....I think on my label I want a hoof print, that heart shape? And then I played with HeartSweets, HeartBeats, and then today arrived at HeartBakes in the car and really liked that.

I started looking into packaging yesterday and found a source for eco-friendly packaging. I initially thought I would just want to do cello bags with twist-ties and ribbon and a hang-tag label but the ones that were the most eco-friendly weren't lined to keep things fresh for an optimal period of time. And then I somehow came up with coffee bags, which are paper (i like the kraft paper), so more eco-friendly, and don't have a separate tie that can be lost and are already lined to be filled some something consumable, which I think is genius.

So would making organic horse treats for all be as amazing as I think it'd be, or is it a completely silly idea?
    Gracious "Gracie," 2002 TB mare
    Facebook me!

I have Higher Standards ...do you?

I think it's a great idea! I've always wanted to make my own organic horse treats but don't have the time. Just sent you a PM

Would love it! Maybe not as my every day go-to treats but I like having special treats on hand. The horses don't care but I do! Plus they're great as gifts!

What about a satchel or something made out of like burlap, or something up cycled. When I think of organic products I think of lots of natural colors, and different natural fibers. Maybe a bag that can be used for something else afterwards? I also hate packaging and tend to buy things that aren't in another box.

Quote Originally Posted by spacytracy View Post
    Would love it! Maybe not as my every day go-to treats but I like having special treats on hand. The horses don't care but I do! Plus they're great as gifts!

What about a satchel or something made out of like burlap, or something up cycled. When I think of organic products I think of lots of natural colors, and different natural fibers. Maybe a bag that can be used for something else afterwards? I also hate packaging and tend to buy things that aren't in another box.
    I looked into a tin or those plastic pails that close like paint cans but those weren't as ecofriendly or were super $. I didn't think about burlap. I was mostly thinking of something to retain freshness. The coffee bags I like are 40% recycled materials and the ones without windows ( http://www.nashvillewraps.com/images...no/cn6plam.jpg ) are 100% biodegradable and compostable, but I really like the look of the ones with the windows ( http://www.nashvillewraps.com/images...no/300249m.jpg )which are still made with 40% recycled materials and are biodegradable compostable except for that little plastic window. They're certainly recyclable but I'm not sure of another use for them...
    Facebook me!

Those are cute! Maybe you can jazz them up a little? Or use some natural ink when you label them?

Add me to your samples list. I have a couple that eat anything and a very picky lady.

Go for it.

the bags look great!

Now of course we need samples! The bag is only going to get you so far (btw, I think it's ok to compromise a bit on the packaging, since it won't do the product any good if it arrives stale and dry at the consumer's door step) when the cookies aren't all that!
    (I am guessing you will be using human grade ingredients?)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Organic horse treats are readily available in the produce section of your local grocery store. Or maybe you'll have to hit Fresh Market or Whole Foods for them. In any event why reinvent the wheel?

G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Guilherme View Post
    Organic horse treats are readily available in the produce section of your local grocery store. Or maybe you'll have to hit Fresh Market or Whole Foods for them. In any event why reinvent the wheel?

G.
    Because some nutter will take umbrage at you feeding carrots with the greens on!

Why not! Sounds like something fun, for her to do and the customers to share with their steeds!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Not sure how eco-friendly or expensive it would be, but using mason jars to package them would be really cute! Plus they're reusable, people use them for drinks, planters, turn them into lights, candle holders...

It would give them a really nice, homemade feel.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by SAcres View Post
    Not sure how eco-friendly or expensive it would be, but using mason jars to package them would be really cute! Plus they're reusable, people use them for drinks, planters, turn them into lights, candle holders...

That sounds like a great gift for horsey friends!
    Southern Cross Guest Ranch
    An All Inclusive Guest Ranch Vacation - Georgia
    www.southcross.com
    RIP Bocephus March 2008 - April 2013

Yes please! I would love to find organic treats for my girl. She refuses to eat carrots, apples, any veggies other than hay. The ONLY treats she will touch right now are fake apple flavored and she goes nuts for her Platinum Performance not mixed with anything. If I could find just one treat that was good for her that she might eat not loaded with crap... I would buy truckloads. Please, please bake!!

Quote Originally Posted by spacytracy View Post
    Those are cute! Maybe you can jazz them up a little? Or use some natural ink when you label them?

Add me to your samples list. I have a couple that eat anything and a very picky lady.
    There will definitely be jazzing. I thought about wrapping the bag a few times with green and white baker's twine around the top and sealing that under the sticker label which would be white with plum ink if possible? And then when my search for some rubber stamps turned up nothing, I decided I would probably have to have someone on etsy make them, but one for "eco friendly packaging" to stamp on the back of the bag and then one for "thanks for helping horses" because (I forgot this detail, there are so many) I would love to have some proceeds go to help horses and I have no idea what organiztion(s) to choose; I want to help them all, is there an option for that?

I will definitely need your picky lady, as my horse eats everything within 8 inches of her face.
    Facebook me!

Quote Originally Posted by OveroHunter View Post
    That sounds like a great gift for horsey friends!
    Yes, I feel like this product is going to have a small niche market. People will be unlikely to buy them for their own horses when carrots/apples/commercial treats are so readily available and cheap. But it is the kind of product that would sell really well as a gift. A mason jar with a fancy lid, some sort of heavy weight paper tag for a label, maybe a rope detail accent type thing. Idk. You will have to target your market very carefully if you want to sell beyond COTHers and COTHer friends. This is the kind of product where the image you present is more important than the performance of the product itself (IMO).

I think something more equine related would suit as a name, "HeartBakes" has no real appeal to me, although I don't dislike it. If you want to PM me or something, I have a bit of an advertising background....you're more than welcome to pick my brain about anything.

Somehow double posted.

Mason jars would be SO cute! I'm looking into how costly they would be.
    Facebook me!

Quote Originally Posted by cottonXCblondie View Post
    I thought about wrapping the bag a few times with green and white baker's twine around the top and sealing that under the sticker label which would be white with plum ink if possible?
    Less is more when it comes to eco friendly, right? Adding more decorations onto the packaging is just more stuff that goes in the landfill and uses energy to be produced.

Yes, I feel like this product is going to have a small niche market. People will be unlikely to buy them for their own horses when carrots/apples/commercial treats are so readily available and cheap. But it is the kind of product that would sell really well as a gift. A mason jar with a fancy lid, some sort of heavy weight paper tag for a label, maybe a rope detail accent type thing. Idk. You will have to target your market very carefully if you want to sell beyond COTHers and COTHer friends. This is the kind of product where the image you present is more important than the performance of the product itself (IMO).

I think something more equine related would suit as a name, "HeartBakes" has no real appeal to me, although I don't dislike it. If you want to PM me or something, I have a bit of an advertising background....you're more than welcome to pick my brain about anything.
    Awkwardly written PM sent
    Facebook me!

A facebook friend of mine sells homemade organic doggie treats. She uses facebook and a website for mail orders. She does pretty well...and you can buy organic dog treats almost anywhere.

As a sideline, you might do great...just don't quit your day job.

How about a treat that looks like a Birthday cake? For those of us who have Birthday parties for their horses.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

People will buy them because horse people buy tons of things they don't need for their horses (and dogs, cats, and pets in general).

Who here DOESNT have a collection of something horsie that the horsie doesn't need????

I buy treats. Horses don't NEED treats. I am a daily treat giver.

So I've also thought of Blue Ribbon Bakery for a name at the suggestion of being more equi-related, which I kind of love because who doesn't love winning those freakin things and also because it makes me think of winning at the county fair with your grandmama's recipe, and I think I want to call the flavors by a desserty name "Pumpkin Pie," "Apple Crisp," "Carrot Cake," "Peppermint Spritz." I love that name with the Mason jar idea. I could put a little square of fabric between the lid and the canning ring. The Mason jars would be like 5x as much as the eco-friendly bags and I loved the bags because I could easily fill 100 right now. I wonder if I could offer both? eco-friendly simpler packaging for a more every day (and cheaper) order and then a higher end Mason jar for gift giving?
    Facebook me!